Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mega-threads/Merging/Tom Brady News

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Default Mega-threads/Merging/Tom Brady News

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/...deflated-balls

Why was the news announcement that Brady's suspension lifted merged into a 255 page thread? Nobody has time to read through that gigantic thread. Something new developed in the story and Shazam posted a new thread.

Could the moderation team please end this practice of tossing news developments into gigantic mega-threads? Especially if it is an entirely new MAJOR development in a story? I feel like it undermines discourse and contributes to a culture of "spammy" type posts that are lacking in content. How is someone new to a discussion supposed to jump in and interject their opinion amidst a 255 page thread or all things? It's just counter-productive.

2. The Following User High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Don't agree with you at all here but whatever the mod decides I'm cool with. I stopped posting for a while in the defategate thread and came back not missing a beat. A t worst you may have to catch up on 3 pages worth of new discussion. To me there is simply no need for 20 threads dealing with the same topic.

4. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Don't agree with you at all here but whatever the mod decides I'm cool with. I stopped posting for a while in the defategate thread and came back not missing a beat. A t worst you may have to catch up on 3 pages worth of new discussion. To me there is simply no need for 20 threads dealing with the same topic.
    It's not the same topic. The court lifting a 4 game ban is a new topic entirely. It's not 20 threads dealing with the same topic; each thread posted deals with a new development in the topic. Eventually, the old development threads will die out because there is a new story.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    It's not the same topic. The court lifting a 4 game ban is a new topic entirely. It's not 20 threads dealing with the same topic; each thread posted deals with a new development in the topic. Eventually, the old development threads will die out because there is a new story.
    The thread encompassed all phases of deflategate. There wasn't a new threat for every new step. The thread evolved as the scandal did.

I wish every subject type thread like this stayed one thread. Can't stand seeing multiple threads pop up about the same thing.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

7. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    The thread encompassed all phases of deflategate. There wasn't a new threat for every new step. The thread evolved as the scandal did.

I wish every subject type thread like this stayed one thread. Can't stand seeing multiple threads pop up about the same thing.
    See? Even you admit that deflategate had multiple phases. Each phase warrants its own discussion, and if not, that is a decision that needs to be up to individual posters. If an individual board member feels a thread deserves a new thread, the moderation team should allow that poster to put it in a new thread. Moderators should not be making that call, especially when it's someone like Shazam that has been around and knows the norms of posting a new thread. The whole "let's toss everything into a mega-thread" mentality ruins the whole point of a message board for me.

For me, it's like if Peyton Manning were to tear his ACL in the Ravens game, mods merged threads about it back into the gameday thread. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Not really the same thing. If Manning is hurt in one game but then ready to go for another than that would be a new discussion because of a new opponent. The whole Deflategate thing (being caught, the process, and the result) are under the same thing as it should be. Not even sure why you are complaining, i dont think Shazam is complaining about it so why all the fuss?

10. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

See? Even you admit that deflategate had multiple phases. Each phase warrants its own discussion, and if not, that is a decision that needs to be up to individual posters. If an individual board member feels a thread deserves a new thread, the moderation team should allow that poster to put it in a new thread. Moderators should not be making that call, especially when it's someone like Shazam that has been around and knows the norms of posting a new thread. The whole "let's toss everything into a mega-thread" mentality ruins the whole point of a message board for me. For me, it's like if Peyton Manning were to tear his ACL in the Ravens game, mods merged threads about it back into the gameday thread. It just doesn't make sense to me.
    No shit I admitted it...and I also said at the same time I prefer all of one subject (see: deflategate) to be in one thread.

Your example of Peyton is silly. If Peyton tore his ACL, that could be its own thread. Within that thread could be surgery updates, rehab updates, etc. There would be zero need for an ACL thread followed by its own surgery thread followed by its own rehab thread, and so on. But those threads would all be started, likely by Carol, so it's all irrelevant anyway.

Depending on the topic I despise megathreads. I don't want to go through all of that.

Training camp for example, I won't bother reading through all of that, I would just skip it and read elsewhere. I liked all the training camp reports that people use to make, now it gets lumped and unless you read through it all you will miss it.

My preference as a compromise would be let people make the new threads, let them live on for a day so people can see what is truly new news, then merge it after a day.

13. The Following User High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

meh, its in the townhall so i feel like i should contribute, but i just dont care. I will read it in a mega thread or on its own - because i have no life.

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/...deflated-balls

Something new developed in the story and Shazam posted a new thread...
    Someone stated in said thread that it was a duplicate but there was none. idk...
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    meh, its in the townhall so i feel like i should contribute, but i just dont care. I will read it in a mega thread or on its own - because i have no life.
    Me too. I have a life, I just don't do social media. De-activated facebook, don't use twitter so I come here when I am bored. If there's new news, I'll find it even if it's in a megathread.

18. The Following User High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Depending on the topic I despise megathreads. I don't want to go through all of that. Training camp for example, I won't bother reading through all of that, I would just skip it and read elsewhere. I liked all the training camp reports that people use to make, now it gets lumped and unless you read through it all you will miss it. My preference as a compromise would be let people make the new threads, let them live on for a day so people can see what is truly new news, then merge it after a day.
    For people who post regularly, the mega threads are easier to keep up with. Not being a smart ass. Just saying.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Me too. I have a life, I just don't do social media. De-activated facebook, don't use twitter so I come here when I am bored. If there's new news, I'll find it even if it's in a megathread.
    yeah - sames.

did you de-activate facebook because you kept getting drunk on the beach and posting pictures of you junk

21. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    yeah - sames.

did you de-activate facebook because you kept getting drunk on the beach and posting pictures of you junk
    No. It just sucks. I use instagram now. Photos and short messages from family members and friends. None of the political bs or ads have infiltrated to instagram yet.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    For people who post regularly, the mega threads are easier to keep up with. Not being a smart ass. Just saying.
    I -read- the board regularly, and have done so since these boards opened. I don't post daily, because I prefer to only post when I actually have something of substance to contribute to discussion. Megathreads disrupt my navigation and posting habits because it requires me to go through 100+ pages of garbage board spam to see what is actually going on in a topic, or just going to the last page and ignoring what went on way before.

I think Shazam's thread should have stayed a thread, because it was major news. The reason I'm posting this thread is because I think it is a good question to ask the moderation team and Tned: A top 5 NFL QB being available to play for the entire season doesn't deserve its own thread?

24. The Following 3 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information