Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Tents.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    On site?
    Yeah. We have two phases of construction; phase one goes from foundation to sheet rock texture and phase two goes from texture to completion. I'm a phase two. It's a pretty awesome job though. My project manager (superintendant) is a BAMF and probably the second best person I've ever worked for. I'm in a good spot though.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Yeah. We have two phases of construction; phase one goes from foundation to sheet rock texture and phase two goes from texture to completion. I'm a phase two. It's a pretty awesome job though. My project manager (superintendant) is a BAMF and probably the second best person I've ever worked for. I'm in a good spot though.
    That's cool dude, I manage the construction restoration of my company. It's a different industry, but I can appreciate what you do.

So, do you visit several sites a day, checking production?

Do you do any actual trade labor?

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

That's cool dude, I manage the construction restoration of my company. It's a different industry, but I can appreciate what you do. So, do you visit several sites a day, checking production? Do you do any actual trade labor?
    We are building in a subdivision, so basically what I do is schedule, coordinate, and manage trades and vendors. I also do punch out for things like Sheetrock, cabinets, etc. Sounds easy but once I've been here a while and have 8-10 houses I'm doing phase two on it'll become a juggling act.

We are building in a subdivision, so basically what I do is schedule, coordinate, and manage trades and vendors. I also do punch out for things like Sheetrock, cabinets, etc. Sounds easy but once I've been here a while and have 8-10 houses I'm doing phase two on it'll become a juggling act.
    I have a good understanding of what that entails. I know it's not easy. I'm the estimator over about 25 restoration projects right now. I have a good project manager who has about 20 of them.

My best advice right now would be get in the habit of keeping good notes on every job so that wherever you are you can look at your notes on any job and know what should be going on.

It might not seem necessary now, but once you get to where you're managing more than 5 at one time you'll need it.

5. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I have a good understanding of what that entails. I know it's not easy. I'm the estimator over about 25 restoration projects right now. I have a good project manager who has about 20 of them. My best advice right now would be get in the habit of keeping good notes on every job so that wherever you are you can look at your notes on any job and know what should be going on. It might not seem necessary now, but once you get to where you're managing more than 5 at one time you'll need it.
    Thanks.

I write everything down. Organization has always been important to me. I've got an Outlook calendar, my day planner, a notebook, my note app on my phone. Gotta stay on top.

7. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Thanks.

I write everything down. Organization has always been important to me. I've got an Outlook calendar, my day planner, a notebook, my note app on my phone. Gotta stay on top.
    You'll do fine, and remember to treat your subs with respect. Loyalty isn't just given because they get paid.

9. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

You'll do fine, and remember to treat your subs with respect. Loyalty isn't just given because they get paid.
    I get along pretty well with our trades. Our punch out guy gets a case of beer or some Gatorade from me every week and he'll bend over backwards to help me. Taking care of people in small ways goes far with these folks. Even just dropping off a case of water for framers or something small like that they remember and are more willing to work. It doesn't hurt that my PM has been doing this for about 17 years and all these guys will leave other jobs to come work for him.

11. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

That's awesome Red.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

That's awesome Red.
    I love it. I applied for this job in early January. Didn't get a call back for an interview until late May and got hired the day after my enlistment officially ended (July 7). Started the following Monday. It's a lot to learn and a lot of work but the subdivision I'm in is awesome. Great people and great management. My PM knows this stuff inside and out so having someone like that to teach me the ropes will be great. I'm very grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    Unfortunately just for Dave and the other Europeans... Canada is like the USA, 2 week Government minimum, North America is the worst for minimum vacation time. Canada and the USA get the same amount of general holidays as well.

What does everyone get for vacataion? I get 5 weeks, my birthday, a day in December to shop for xmas, and a few flex days.
    I get 2 weeks, usually just take it as cash as my boss is a dick about time off.

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I get 2 weeks, usually just take it as cash as my boss is a dick about time off.
    My job is really stressful and demanding (not that yours isn't ). I need the time off, and sometimes feel like I need several weeks, not just one. I get emails and calls from insurance adjusters, customers, and my boss after hours and weekends, so I have to take my work home.

Sometimes I just need to get away.

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

I get 3 weeks and take a little of it but mostly I have them pay it out at the end of the year, makes for a nice bonus check.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1443158737.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	7824

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information