Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broncos Trade Chris Clark for 7th Round Pick!

Default Broncos Trade Chris Clark for 7th Round Pick!

Broncos trade Chris Clark to Texans for 7th Round Pick. According to Vic Lombardi, more trades may be forthcoming. Ball may be next, although it might not be possible to get anything for him.

Vic anticipates they might trade for a defensive lineman. One guy breathing a LOT easier right now is Michael Schofield, the under-achieving RT who was supposed to start but instead slid down the depth chart to 3rd. There had been speculation that he might not even make the roster, now he's the prime backup to Ryan Harris.

Vic states that "obviously Clark wasn't in their plans." It's strange. They kept totally dissing Chris Clark both last year and this. He's a veteran who didn't play terribly in replacing Ryan Clady in 2013, yet despite all the problems the OL has had since the SB he was never considered for moving back to LT. Instead he was the backup RT to Harris. Well, they tried Clark at RT last year and it didn't work out. In any case this takes $1.4 million off the cap.

So, they should have around $5 million. They ought to be looking for a backup T for depth, but no word on whether they actually are going to do that. The OL hasn't been great so far, but Elway is absurdly attached to "his" picks, and holds onto them until they conclusively prove to be failures.

2. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Clears some money off the books too. Really happy for Clark after it became apparent that he peaked as a player filling in for Clady. Hopefully, this change of scenery makes him a better player. Clark might just be a better Sunday player than he is Monday through Saturday, but this is the NFL. He got schooled in the Super Bowl and no team can be expected to scheme around a tackle's ineptitude if it can be avoided.

Mnteen Ball sucks hopefully they don't waste a roster spot feeling like they need to get him because of the draf tstatus.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Elway is absurdly attached to "his" picks, and holds onto them until they conclusively prove to be failures.
    Still trying to figure out your issue with Elway. Seems like you take every jab you can at him.

No issue with this trade. Bench-warmer to begin with, so why not shave some $$ off the cap and pick up a draft pick.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I've found it puzzling how Clark has fallen so far out of favor - but I guess the staff feels like Schofield is a better swing tackle. My worry is that we're one injury away from being thin at the position and Clark seemed like nice depth to have around. A 7th rounder is basically worthless - would have liked to see us get a conditional pick in case Clark ends up playing for Houston. We gave up a 5th rounder for freaking Gino Gradkowski.

Oh well, I guess if we were going to cut him then it's better to get something.

8. The Following 4 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I've found it puzzling how Clark has fallen so far out of favor - but I guess the staff feels like Schofield is a better swing tackle. My worry is that we're one injury away from being thin at the position and Clark seemed like nice depth to have around. A 7th rounder is basically worthless - would have liked to see us get a conditional pick in case Clark ends up playing for Houston. We gave up a 5th rounder for freaking Gino Gradkowski.

Last year of his contract, and we weren't going to re-sign him. It's a win.

Plus, I figure they'll be watching the waiver wire for talented tackles that get cut. And will be a lot cheaper.

10. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Clears some money off the books too. Really happy for Clark after it became apparent that he peaked as a player filling in for Clady. Hopefully, this change of scenery makes him a better player. Clark might just be a better Sunday player than he is Monday through Saturday, but this is the NFL. He got schooled in the Super Bowl and no team can be expected to scheme around a tackle's ineptitude if it can be avoided.
    Well, as far as that is concerned, name ONE Broncos OL who DIDN'T "get schooled" in the SB! They were pathetic in that game. Orlando Franklin had the worst day of his career, Zane Beadles was so bad that they didn't even make him an offer as a FA the next year, etc. Peyton had no time to throw all day so that even when WRs were open downfield, he didn't have time to get them the ball because Michael Bennett was in his face in under 2 seconds.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post

Plus, I figure they'll be watching the waiver wire for talented tackles that get cut. And will be a lot cheaper.
    Talented tackles don't come across the waiver wire. That's why the Texans gave up a draft pick. I'm not going to lose any sleep over this - but it seems like the going rate on these trades is typically a conditional 5th rounder if there's any hope the guy can contribute as a starter for the other team. Plus I'm not convinced Schofield is a better player... But it's such a fringe move that hopefully it doesn't impact anything anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post

As for Gino Gradkowski, that was some time ago. Trades at this stage of the pre-season when most team's rosters are set and they're not looking to acquire a player tend to be low value. Looks like they weren't even going to keep Clark on the 53 man roster so they unloaded him for what they could get.

Now, neither Clark nor Michael Schofield have looked good out there, but Elway decides to hold onto Schofield because he was Elway's draft pick, and they are protecting his "potential."

Entering your 2nd season, if a player hasn't shown signs of developing that "potential" it's likely he never will. Occasionally a light goes on in year 3 or 4 and a player who looked like he would never develop suddenly does (Ronnie Hillman looks like that guy this pre-season), but it's rare.

Much more usual is the way Matt Paradis developed in this, his 2nd year into a quality lineman. If a guy is going to make that transition, he starts to show it in year two (baring injury of course. D.T. didn't show anything until year 3 but he wasn't healthy to start his career, and lingering foot injuries can be killer to a WR).

Adopted Bronco:
    Stokley, Miller, Wolfe

I am really surprised as well about this. I thought Clark was a good back up. I've heard nothing good about Schofield from any of the radio stations that a lot more than I do....in fact they kept saying what a disappointment he's been.... Oh well....I will miss Chris....
    Getting Stoked

what is a swing tackle?

Quote Originally Posted by pnbronco View Post
    I am really surprised as well about this. I thought Clark was a good back up. I've heard nothing good about Schofield from any of the radio stations that a lot more than I do....in fact they kept saying what a disappointment he's been.... Oh well....I will miss Chris....
    who are you to be judging people?

Adopted Bronco:
    Stokley, Miller, Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by AGap View Post
    I see we drank our feisty juice this am....
    Getting Stoked

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived pnbronco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

what is a swing tackle?
    It's the term for an offensive lineman who enjoys intimacy with both males and females.

20. The Following 6 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Are you serious? What on earth do you think Fan Forums are for anyway? Because in my experience they are all about

1. Venting.
    2. Spouting opinions on the basis of flimsy or no evidence.
    3. Engaging in flame wars.
    4. Jumping on or off band-wagons.
    5. Pontificating at great length because we like to hear ourselves talk. (Guilty!)

This is what it's all about baby! Why else would we hang out and talk about the Broncos? Hardly one person here is a real expert and none are Broncos insiders who really know what the team is thinking.

Making snap judgments is our god-given RIGHT!

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information