Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Montee Ball's long, hot summer has resulted in slide down Broncos' depth chart

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Montee Ball's long, hot summer has resulted in slide down Broncos' depth chart

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- It was just a couple calendar pages ago – June – when Denver Broncos running back Montee Ball was talking about an offseason filled with focus, of hard work, to get back what was once his.

And that was the starting running back job.

“As of right now I’m second; I’m behind C.J. [Anderson]," Ball said in June. “But I’m sure it’s going to be a 1-A, 1-B style and we’re looking forward to it. … The only thing I can do is work and fight back to get the No. 1 spot. But let’s say I do fight back and get the No. 1 spot, they can’t keep C.J. on the bench based off what he did. They most definitely have to use both of us.’’

This time last year, Ball was at the front of the line. Saturday night, as the Broncos closed out their third preseason game, Ball was the fourth running back into the game. The Broncos may indeed have a 1-A, 1-B look, but Ball is no longer in position to be the second back in line.
    rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bronc...os-depth-chart

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I feel bad for him. He had really promising rookie campaign but has struggled ever since.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

What do we reckon will be the tandem with CJ? Juwan?

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Similar in some ways to Knowshon Moreno in his early years. Hope Ball can pull off a comeback. He seems like a real likeable kid with a great attitude.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

The life in the NFL unfortunately.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    What do we reckon will be the tandem with CJ? Juwan?
    Probably the 1-2 combo will be CJ and Hillman.

7. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Probably the 1-2 combo will be CJ and Hillman.
    Sure seems that way. Hillman has played well this preseason. Juwan makes the most of his limited reps and plays on ST. Ball is just kind of ... there. I still think he makes the roster, but he is certainly out of favor right now

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Sure seems that way. Hillman has played well this preseason. Juwan makes the most of his limited reps and plays on ST. Ball is just kind of ... there. I still think he makes the roster, but he is certainly out of favor right now
    Thompson and Anderson are very similar in that they both power runners. Hillman adds speed.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

A slide down the depth chart is one thing, but I doubt Ball is going anywhere. We all know the importance of having a "stable" of running backs in this system. Injuries happen all the time, especially to RBs. Ball has more value to the team on it than any potential late round draft pick we might be able to scavenge by trading him. I can see us keeping more RBs/TEs on the roster this season and less WRs than we have previously.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

12. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

I've heard nothing but bad news for Montee Ball, nothing but good news for Hillman. I think Hillman is a situational RB.. could be effective if used properly, don't see Montee Ball being that type of back, CJ has his role filled.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

On that play where ball caught the pass over the middle, had room to run, tried to juke a guy and ran right into him, well, he looked like a guy who aint got no game. Maybe he's just rusty but dang

15. The Following User High Fived Dzone For This Post:

I guess I'm a bit confused because I haven't seen him struggle. I feel like he does well enough. I haven't really heard too much from practice and camps. He played well as a rookie and got hurt last year. He's still just 24 years old. Do you really give up on a 2nd round pick this quickly?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I guess I'm a bit confused because I haven't seen him struggle. I feel like he does well enough. I haven't really heard too much from practice and camps. He played well as a rookie and got hurt last year. He's still just 24 years old. Do you really give up on a 2nd round pick this quickly?
    Its not about giving up on him, its whether or not they need him because of other backs playing better. You cant keep everyone so thats why its important to make your statement to the team early and often. Injuries suck but they do tend to leave the door open for other players to step up and take your place.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Its not about giving up on him, its whether or not they need him because of other backs playing better. You cant keep everyone so thats why its important to make your statement to the team early and often. Injuries suck but they do tend to leave the door open for other players to step up and take your place.
    Then we're pretty lucky our RBs and WRs sucked when Knowshon and Demaryius were hurt.

If CJ goes down are we comfortable with Hillman/Thompson?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information