Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Should you be allowed to be fired without cause?

Default Should you be allowed to be fired without cause?

I was curious about what everyone's thoughts were. My dad was head of security at the Judicial Center. He has a letter from when he was fired with no reason. That's what the letter says. A friend of my dad's and the preacher at my dad's church works there part time and has for years. He also got the same letter. Should this be allowed?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I dont like that its allowed but it currently is allowed that companies can fire without cause. I think its dirty business but until its changed its just kind of the way it is.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I dont like that its allowed but it currently is allowed that companies can fire without cause. I think its dirty business but until its changed its just kind of the way it is.
    The law protects people who are fired "for no reason". That's why wrongful termination lawsuits exist.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    The law protects people who are fired "for no reason". That's why wrongful termination lawsuits exist.
    The letter from the Sheriff literally reads "fired without cause".

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    The letter from the Sheriff literally reads "fired without cause".
    He should challenge it. You can be laid off for no reason but I'm pretty sure the employer has to have just cause to fire.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    I have a feeling that Dapper's dad was actually fired for a reason but it may not have been spelled out. But this is what i was talking about.

An at-will employee can be fired at any time, for any reason (except for a few illegal reasons, spelled out below). If the employerdecides to let you go, that's the end of your job--and you have very limited legal rights to fight your termination.
    http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ion-30022.html

Im quite sure if Dapper's father pursued an explanation as to why he was fired they would have some sort of reason. I saw that Dapper had pointed out something in another thread where his father left a gun in a particular location and as that was cited as part of the reason. So technically, a reason was given.

7. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

SR

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Being Operations Manager of a national security guard provider, I can tell you security is a dirty business no matter what State you live and whatever the jurisdiction is. Dirty and cutthroat.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

I have a feeling that Dapper's dad was actually fired for a reason but it may not have been spelled out. But this is what i was talking about.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ion-30022.html

Im quite sure if Dapper's father pursued an explanation as to why he was fired they would have some sort of reason. I saw that Dapper had pointed out something in another thread where his father left a gun in a particular location and as that was cited as part of the reason. So technically, a reason was given.
    It wasn't my dad, he was a family friend. He worked under my dad when he was there. Basically, when you have new regimes it's just a matter of time. I know why my dad was fired and it was political. My dad was a democrat and he campaigned for the democrat sheriff. The republican sheriff won. The republican jailer who lost his election was appointed to my dad's job.

The family friend who was fired has a letter saying he was fired for no reason, but when he pressed it, he was given some reason. So that contradicts what his letter says. When he mentioned the judge said it was a good idea, the new security guy said (dapper dan's dad) doesn't run this place, I do. I'm not even sure why he felt the need to bring my dad up. I guess he just doesn't like him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    The family friend who was fired has a letter saying he was fired for no reason, but when he pressed it, he was given some reason. So that contradicts what his letter says. When he mentioned the judge said it was a good idea, the new security guy said (dapper dan's dad) doesn't run this place, I do. I'm not even sure why he felt the need to bring my dad up. I guess he just doesn't like him.
    Or it could be that when he took over he has his own policies or ways of dealing with gun placement, etc. I think it will be difficult for your dad's friend to challenge it if the friend didnt get the ok from the new guy about where to put his gun while moving inmates. It could be based off not liking your dad but it would be very hard to prove that.

Or it could be that when he took over he has his own policies or ways of dealing with gun placement, etc. I think it will be difficult for your dad's friend to challenge it if the friend didnt get the ok from the new guy about where to put his gun while moving inmates. It could be based off not liking your dad but it would be very hard to prove that.
    It would be impossible to prove it. This "new guy" has been a headache for about 15 years now. When he first took over the jail, my dad quit. Then my dad starting working somewhere else. My dad drove a city vehicle, which he was allowed to drive anywhere, about like cops drive their cars anywhere. That guy's parents were calling the mayor and saying my dad was driving the vehicle out of town and all over the place. It was strange because my dad is a homebody. He drives from home, to work, and doesn't leave the county. My dad told the mayor to start asking them the time that my dad was out of town in the city vehicle. They stated a time, my dad was working at his second job in town. These were just harassing phone calls. They're starting back again. A new worker hired by the "new guy" is saying my dad is stealing chickens from his new job and putting them on a farm to raise. Which is impossible. You cannot get live chickens at this place and my dad has a camera on him at all times. It's basically become harassment. And it all goes back to politics. It's pretty dumb how grown adults can act sometimes.

12. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Wouldn't it make more sense to put that in a letter? The thing about the gun policy, etc?

I've noticed some places you can fire without reason and some you can't. You can be fired from the Sheriff's Department, but not the City Police. I think you need a reason to fire a teacher also.

Firing employees has become a go-to method for profit preservation. It's sickening really and watching the many people I've known get canned for minimal reason has really scarred me. It's really destroyed all loyalty I have to employers.

There's no way you can stop companies from doing this but I think there should be lengthy severance packages mandatory. Getting sent out with whatever is in your vacation bank and getting $1650/mo. in CA to try to pay a mortgage and put food on the table for your family is total bullshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

It all depends on the state law. My guess is the sheriff wouldn't have drafted a letter that stated 'fired without cause' unless it was legal.

17. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

I ABSOLUTELY think it's ok. WHy shouldn't the owner of a company, or a corporation, be ALLOWED to fire anyone they want for any reason they see fit (obvisously not counting the racists/bigotry and legal reasons)?

If I have only 30 spots available, and I want to hire my cousin, why shouldn't I be allowed to make room for him if I'm the OWNER of the company? If I'm the owner, and I don't like how you are wearing your hair everyday, and you represent my company, then I dn't want you around. What about smell? What if I have an employee that smells odd. Everyone else can smell it, and even if its been mentioned by the rest of the staff, the person still stinks?

I just don't think people have a RIGHT to be employed by a company. I don't think people have the right to stay if they do their job. Sometimes, even though the person is doing their job reasonably well, you just don't like HOW they are doing it, or their attitude, or their personality.

I don't know. People aren't guaranteed lifetime careers, after all, the employee can quit anytime he wants without cause.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information