Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broncos Sign TE Dan Light

Default Broncos Sign TE Dan Light

Here's a great story on the new signing:

Twenty-nine degrees and falling on Fordham’s Rose Hill campus in the Bronx and Dan Light, a senior captain for the Patriot League champions, leads the Rams through practice in uniform without sleeves or tights.

He wears a beard beneath his facemask and tape on both wrists; a blue bracelet emblazoned with “WE LOVE YOU DANNY LIGHT” is visible. He is the only member of the team fully embracing the downturn in temperature as it prepares for the regular-season finale against the West Point Cadets. His coach, Joe Moorhead, also bearded for the upcoming playoffs and wearing three layers of clothing, plus a winter hat, worries about Light, noting that he battled a head cold recently.

“The trainers wanted him to come out with long sleeves on,” Moorhead says. “I mentioned it to him during practice. He said, ‘Coach, that’s just not in me.’ I just nod my head and let him go about his business.”

Light goes about his routes. He chops his feet, turns for catches, tucks the ball, sprints a few yards, then buttonhooks back to the huddle. He performs “Perfect 10s” with teammates, listening for the “Up!” call then “Down!” A whistle blows; the players end with a 10-yard sprint. Light listens to Moorhead express thanks for all the Rams have earned this season.

Light, the son of a father who died from ALS before his junior year and the brother of Zach, an autistic 20-year-old, takes a knee. He does not know that on the last play before halftime the next day, a Cadet will collide with that knee and he will tear his ACL after returning a squib kick. His season will be done, NFL prospects in limbo.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...icle-1.2026442

2. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Here's a great story on the new signing:

That is a interesting story but I wonder why Denver keeps bring in tight ends? Denver had what four or five of them going into camp to begin with. Maybe James Casey working his way out of job.

In four seasons at Fordham, Light proved as tough as his task. He endured a 1-10 campaign as a freshman, his mother and father, also Dan, rehashing missed opportunities on three-hour rides back home to Sutton, Mass., a hilltop town outside Worcester and down the road from signs that point to “Purgatory.” They witnessed a resurrection in their son’s sophomore season as he developed into his role as “Gronk of the Bronx,” waiting until after Christmas to tell him that his father had been diagnosed with ALS, a crippling sickness without cure. They took a Disney cruise, and then Light flew back to LaGuardia, returned to campus and walked into the Dean’s office. He informed him that he needed the semester off. His mother called to ask how the book buying went for his new courses.

“I didn’t buy any books,” he said. “I’m coming home.”

His father, the well-liked, self-made owner of “D. Light,” a siding and roofing company in Millbury, Mass., disagreed with the move, but Moorhead kept his son on scholarship. For one last hurrah, father and son shipped their Harley Davidsons down to Daytona, Fla., and continued south 300 miles to the Keys, motoring to the southernmost point. Five others joined them, sunrises and sunsets coloring memories for all, but son helped sustain his father most.

Back home, mom reflected on the boy who followed his father around the house, carrying a plastic hammer and yelling, “I want to work, dad! I want to work!” His desire to get his hands dirty was passed down through genetics. When his mother was six months pregnant, the Lights received a phone call from a customer about a leaking roof. Dawn and Dan grabbed trash bags and a ladder. They climbed the roof, Dawn holding the flashlight as her husband hammered a cover to patch the hole.

“In those days, you did what you had to do," she says. “It wasn’t all success.”

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    That is a interesting story but I wonder why Denver keeps bring in tight ends? Denver had what four or five of them going into camp to begin with. Maybe James Casey working his way out of job.
    Casey has been solid, but it looks like the Broncos are using the FB quite a bit. I think he's strictly at that position now.

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

We also may want a TE/H-Back for the practice squad, so we'd like him to get a bit of a head start and check him out in pads first. Can't have one of the TEs or FBs go down and not have somebody to call up. I don't have a problem with that.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

According to the story on the Broncos official website, his nickname is "The Gronk of the Bronx" ...

Also, he has a great Twitter handle:

DLightKid ‏@AFTANOON_DLIGHT 23m23 minutes ago

Blessed to be able to say I am a member of the Denver Broncos. Thank you to my mom dad sister and brother as well as my whole support system

DLightKid ‏@AFTANOON_DLIGHT 23m23 minutes ago

I love you dad. Our dream came true. I am an NFL football player

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Casey has been solid, but it looks like the Broncos are using the FB quite a bit. I think he's strictly at that position now.
    I thought Casey has been ok at blocking nothing really notable.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos add rookie TE Dan Light, waive WR Solomon Patton

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos signed TE Dan Light on Friday, waiving WR Solomon Patton to make room for him on the roster.

Light, a 6-foot-5, 265-pound product of Fordham University, had a tryout with the Broncos on Friday before signing. He also was invited to the Chiefs' rookie minicamp on a tryout basis in May.

Patton had been working on kickoff and punt returns, as well as at wide receiver. He muffed one of his He was claimed off waivers from Tampa Bay in May.

Nicknamed "The Gronk of the Bronx," Light racked up nine touchdowns and 1,494 yards on 177 receptions during his four years at Fordham. During his junior season, he led all FCS tight ends with 66 receptions.
    rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...9-a3a608b5ad28

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

12. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    We also may want a TE/H-Back for the practice squad, so we'd like him to get a bit of a head start and check him out in pads first. Can't have one of the TEs or FBs go down and not have somebody to call up. I don't have a problem with that.
    I'm guessing Joe Don Duncan is going to the practice squad. He didn't get much playing time in the last preseason game.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Denver may be working on its depth and finding better players on ST.

Kubiak knows his ST unit is lacking, might be the reason their is turnover on 4th string and deeper guys.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    It sounds like he can catch the ball.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The coach said "Gimme a Light"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bodf2HYWIAY
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    The coach said "Gimme a Light"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bodf2HYWIAY

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Denver may be working on its depth and finding better players on ST.

Kubiak knows his ST unit is lacking, might be the reason their is turnover on 4th string and deeper guys.
    Great point

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information