Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15

Thread: Broncos 2015 Defense- Best Ever?

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    Curious on if it's adjusted or not for pick 6 or if it's the straight defensive stat of TD given up.
    Joel is wrong on this. Peyton threw 3 Pick sixes so those 21 points were added to the Broncos "defensive" totals! (Go look at NFL.com and see for yourself. They don't make any adjustment for the fact that the defense wasn't even on the field!)

The 3 teams ahead of us in scoring defense, Seahawks, Bengals and Chiefs did NOT surrender any pick sixes. Broncos gave up 296 points, but subtracting 21 means they really gave up 275 - which is 2 fewer than the Seahawks.

And this doesn't even take into account that Peyton's 17 picks put the defense into bad situations and added to the defensive points given up - whereas Cam Newton for instance threw only 10 picks on the year and had ZERO pick sixes, and Andy Dalton had only 7 picks in 386 pass attempts.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    That's misleading, because neither the '85 Bears nor '13 Seahawks had good offenses (the 2000 Ravens certainly didn't They had SAFE offenses. I haven't checked, but suspect most of their blowouts were due to their defense forcing turnovers and generally holding opponents to very few points: 13-3 is still "a double digit win."

Our Ds really impressive feat was winning a record number of tight games, but simply having the OPPORTUNITY to win that many close ones doesn't say many good things about our offense. The main positive is that it was SAFE, which was no easy thing given the Swiss cheese we had for run blocking and pass protection. Our offense didn't win many games; it just didn't lose many either, and that was enough for our D to secure homefield and win a SB.

If we'd swung for the fences the way people (including the NFL) love, we'd have had more blowouts, but would've GOTTEN blown out more, too. There was no reason to take those kind of risks unless we were already in a deep hole and had no choice, and our D ensured that NEVER happened.
    Those teams had really good OLs Joel. They could run the ball and protect the QB. I.e. they won similar to what Kubiak WANTED the team to look like, but couldn't do because the OL was so horrible all year. Peyton got sacked 5 times in the SB, and threw a pick and had a couple of fumbles so it didn't really play any better in the big game.

After the last SB they got rid of Zane Beadles, Manny Ramirez, Orlando Franklin and Chris Clark. I expect that Ryan Harris, Tyler Polumbus, Evan Mathis and possibly even Louis Vasquez will be gone by next September. Max Garcia and Matt Paradis should be starting alongside Ty Sambrailo, and Michael Schofield will be a backup if he's even on the team. That leaves a couple of blank spots to fill in at LT or RT and some backups to find.

But, key to the off-season is going to be strengthening the OL so they can run the Kubiak offense successfully.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post

Those teams had really good OLs Joel. They could run the ball and protect the QB. I.e. they won similar to what Kubiak WANTED the team to look like, but couldn't do because the OL was so horrible all year. Peyton got sacked 5 times in the SB, and threw a pick and had a couple of fumbles so it didn't really play any better in the big game.

After the last SB they got rid of Zane Beadles, Manny Ramirez, Orlando Franklin and Chris Clark. I expect that Ryan Harris, Tyler Polumbus, Evan Mathis and possibly even Louis Vasquez will be gone by next September. Max Garcia and Matt Paradis should be starting alongside Ty Sambrailo, and Michael Schofield will be a backup if he's even on the team. That leaves a couple of blank spots to fill in at LT or RT and some backups to find.

But, key to the off-season is going to be strengthening the OL so they can run the Kubiak offense successfully.
    Clady will be back. Right now based on roster OL is clady, mad max, paradis, Vasquez, and Sambrailo. I am ok with this line going I to next to year. Clady is willing to redo contract and that will keep him here. He is still better then half the starters in the league when healthy. Schofield is back up which is ok I guess since he has some experience.

I can guarentee that we will pick up an early rounder again though. Every draft 1st round has been to a guy that fell to them and they had rated very high. Von, wolfe(1st pick), sly, Roby and ray. These have all be solid picks and contributors if not starters already.

4. The Following User High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

I can guarentee that we will pick up an early rounder again though. Every draft 1st round has been to a guy that fell to them and they had rated very high. Von, wolfe(1st pick), sly, Roby and ray. These have all be solid picks and contributors if not starters already.
    Von did not exactly fall to us. We had the #2 overall pick that year for crying out loud!

6. The Following User High Fived The Glue Factory For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Quote Originally Posted by The Glue Factory View Post

Von did not exactly fall to us. We had the #2 overall pick that year for crying out loud!
    I have been reading if Carolina took he would have take newton. So von fell to us lol.

If this team can fix the Oline, this defense will be even more dominant. With time to rest, a running game, and field position help from the offense, watch out.

9. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I have been reading if Carolina took he would have take newton. So von fell to us lol.
    I think this sentence sums up your earlier comment.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information