Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Sling TV

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,
    Posts
    42,285

    Default Sling TV

    Today, there was an advertisement in the Money Mailer for sling tv. The following explains what it is. Their monthly charge is $20.00/mo, and once you sign up, you can add other stuff for an additional cost. Posted this in case anyone, who does not have cable, dish, or direct tv would be interested.

    Sling TV: Everything you need to know
    http://www.cnet.com/news/sling-tv-ev...-need-to-know/

    Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam
    Posts
    34,830

    Default

    So it's basically Apple TV or Roku with a handful of channels.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    5,280
    Adopted Bronco:
    Case Keenum BITCHES!
    Posts
    35,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    So it's basically Apple TV or Roku with a handful of channels.
    The biggest difference with SlingTV is you have access to all your channels from whatever provider you have. As an example, if I had a Sling Box in my house, someone could sign in and watch the local channels (or any channel I get, which is pretty much everything). I've offered it to a couple people that live outside of Denver so they'd have access to Broncos games. You won't get that with Apple TV, Roku or the like.

    I think they're around $100. I don't have a need for one, but if someone wanted to buy one, I'd install it so they could watch the games.
    Last edited by BroncoJoe; 08-13-2015 at 02:31 PM.

  4. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam
    Posts
    34,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    The biggest difference with SlingTV is you have access to all your channels from whatever provider you have. As an example, if I had a Sling Box in my house, someone could sign in and watch the local channels (or any channel I get, which is pretty much everything). I've offered it to a couple people that live outside of Denver so they'd have access to Broncos games. You won't get that with Apple TV, Roku or the like. I think they're around $100. I don't have a need for one, but if someone wanted to buy one, I'd install it so they could watch the games.
    So I could get one in Houston and watch Broncos games on my TV?
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    5,280
    Adopted Bronco:
    Case Keenum BITCHES!
    Posts
    35,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    So I could get one in Houston and watch Broncos games on my TV?
    No - it has to be hooked up in Denver, then you can sign in and watch any channel you get in the Denver market, as long as the Sling Box is connected to a cable or satellite company. Not sure if it works with over the air.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    5,280
    Adopted Bronco:
    Case Keenum BITCHES!
    Posts
    35,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    No - it has to be hooked up in Denver, then you can sign in and watch any channel you get in the Denver market, as long as the Sling Box is connected to a cable or satellite company. Not sure if it works with over the air.
    I'm probably not explaining it very well - this is from their website:

    How Slingbox Works
    Your Slingbox connects to your home network (via WiFi or Ethernet) and sits between your cable or satellite services set-top box and your TV. The TV signal comes from your set-top box and your Slingbox slings it to any of your devices, anywhere in the world. You can even watch or control your DVR. You can even use a streamer to watch your TV on a second television. Get the most value from your cable or satellite subscription with a Slingbox.

    http://www.slingbox.com/DiscoverSling.aspx

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Adopted Bronco:
    Emma Watson
    Posts
    61,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    The biggest difference with SlingTV is you have access to all your channels from whatever provider you have. As an example, if I had a Sling Box in my house, someone could sign in and watch the local channels (or any channel I get, which is pretty much everything). I've offered it to a couple people that live outside of Denver so they'd have access to Broncos games. You won't get that with Apple TV, Roku or the like.

    I think they're around $100. I don't have a need for one, but if someone wanted to buy one, I'd install it so they could watch the games.
    Actually Roku is starting to come around. When we had cable we could access movie lists for HBO and Showtime because the Roku started adding apps for those kinds of things. NFL Network has an app too but it doesnt give you everything from the network itself. But the wife and i about a month decided cable was too expensive so we are just using the Roku and going with basic tv. I can actually watch the Ravens/Saints game tonight but dont know about actual games going forward. But it looks like Roku is starting to get apps for tv networks like FX, ABC, and the channels i metioned above. Soon im sure they will have all the app channels but you still have to have Verizon or Comcast to utilize some of them.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    5,280
    Adopted Bronco:
    Case Keenum BITCHES!
    Posts
    35,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Actually Roku is starting to come around. When we had cable we could access movie lists for HBO and Showtime because the Roku started adding apps for those kinds of things. NFL Network has an app too but it doesnt give you everything from the network itself. But the wife and i about a month decided cable was too expensive so we are just using the Roku and going with basic tv. I can actually watch the Ravens/Saints game tonight but dont know about actual games going forward. But it looks like Roku is starting to get apps for tv networks like FX, ABC, and the channels i metioned above. Soon im sure they will have all the app channels but you still have to have Verizon or Comcast to utilize some of them.
    The biggest thing with Sling is you get every channel (including locals) that are received wherever it's installed. So, if someone is out of town or out of the country, they can see every Broncos game - nationally televised or not - because it hooks into the home provider. All Broncos games are televised locally. If I still traveled and had a Sling Box, I could watch any channel that is available at my home regardless of where I am. So long as I have an internet connection. That's the difference.

  10. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:


  11. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    5,280
    Adopted Bronco:
    Case Keenum BITCHES!
    Posts
    35,053

    Default

    If I had a Slingbox, and gave my login information to Dave in England, he'd be able to watch all the channels I get via Comcast IN DENVER including all the local channels. Meaning he could watch all the Broncos games, and any other channel I receive here in Denver.

    Does that make sense? It's very different than Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, Amazon, etc. It hooks into whatever local feed it is set up at.

    JUST TO CLARIFY: I'm talking about the Slingbox. They (Sling) have several products - some of which are nothing more than the other companies above.
    Last edited by BroncoJoe; 08-13-2015 at 04:00 PM.

  12. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:


  13. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    22,382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    If I had a Slingbox, and gave my login information to Dave in England, he'd be able to watch all the channels I get via Comcast IN DENVER including all the local channels. Meaning he could watch all the Broncos games, and any other channel I receive here in Denver.

    Does that make sense? It's very different than Roku, Chromecast, Apple TV, Amazon, etc. It hooks into whatever local feed it is set up at.

    JUST TO CLARIFY: I'm talking about the Slingbox. They (Sling) have several products - some of which are nothing more than the other companies above.
    Right Joe, I think you are doing a good job of explaining.

    It "slings" your channels off to a remote location. You have it installed in Denver, then if you hit the road you can watch "your" TV from anywhere else in the country via the internet THROUGH your slingbox. If at home ( in Denver, in this example) you have cable TV with HBO and Showtime...and you travel to Houston, then you could watch your cable stations, and local stations, through your computer by signing into your slingbox account.

    Slingbox has been around for quite a while now. It's pretty interesting, but when I tried it out a couple years ago, it didn't seem to work well for me. With new compression technology, I'm betting its getting better and better all the time.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

  14. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:


  15. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    18,901

    Default

    What Joe said... about as well put as could be.

    Someone set up a sling box in Denver and all us out of towners will get the games.


    Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

  16. The Following 3 Users High Fived weazel For This Post:


  17. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,
    Posts
    42,285

    Default

    A lot of information in this article. One thing is -

    Does Sling TV Have Any Relation to Slingbox?

    Sling TV is in the same extended corporate family as Sling Media. The latter company makes devices called Slingboxes that send live streams from your antenna or cable or satellite box over the Internet so you can view content away from home. In addition, Sling TV is a subsidiary of Dish TV, a satellite television service. Sling TV, Sling Media and Dish TV operate independently and don't share services or equipment.
    full article - http://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is-...ews-20474.html

    Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wolfe
    Posts
    30,423

    Default

    Can more than one log in and use it at the same time? Id cancel my ticket and pay somone there, split it with others, etc.

  19. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

    SR

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wolfe
    Posts
    30,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Can more than one log in and use it at the same time? Id cancel my ticket and pay somone there, split it with others, etc.
    Me and you SR

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    5,280
    Adopted Bronco:
    Case Keenum BITCHES!
    Posts
    35,053

    Default

    I looked that up - it appears only one person can use the slingbox at a time. But - they're only $100. One time fee.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
status.broncosforums.com - BroncosForums status updates
Partner with the USA Today Sports Media Group