Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could change one NFL rule, what would it be?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Default If you could change one NFL rule, what would it be?

If Roger Goodell called you up today and gave you the power to change one rule in the NFL, what would it be? This could be anything from gameplay rules, scheduling, player safety, playoff seeding/format, whatever you want.

For me, it would be how the playoffs are seeded. I won't expand too much further because you all know my thoughts, but that would be the one for me. How about everyone else?

I would make the field ten yards longer. Makes it more difficult on the offense, albeit only moderately in this era of the game, and it would allow for a lot of records to be rebroken and redone.

3. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

The way some stadiums are built it might be tough to cram that extra 10 yards in there and still have room behind the endzones, but overall that is a really cool idea.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I would get rid of the helmet to helmet 15 yarder because it's so tough to enforce and referees seemingly get it wrong as often as they get it right. It also seems silly to try and get rid of one type of collision, when there are any number of legal collisions that are just as violent.

I'd also like to get rid of the celebration rule, but it doesn't impact the outcomes of games like the new rules around hitting WRs.

6. The Following 5 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I would get rid of the helmet to helmet 15 yarder because it's so tough to enforce and referees seemingly get it wrong as often as they get it right. It also seems silly to try and get rid of one type of collision, when there are any number of legal collisions that are just as violent.

I'd also like to get rid of the celebration rule, but it doesn't impact the outcomes of games like the new rules around hitting WRs.
    Totally on board with all this.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    The way some stadiums are built it might be tough to cram that extra 10 yards in there and still have room behind the endzones, but overall that is a really cool idea.
    Yeah, it almost is certainly never going to happen, but the thought came from a conversation with my buddies when we were trying to craft a way to enhance offensive excitement in the long run while mitigating some of the advantages offenses have right now.

In regards to Buff's change, would your rule adjustment still allow for a penalty to be called for when someone was roughing via headshot? Like the assassin form the Raiders, or the entire Ravens team from...well..just about the entirety of their existence.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I would stop the clock on every negative yardage play inside the two minute warning when it is a one score game.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I would stop the clock on every negative yardage play inside the two minute warning when it is a one score game.
    It's not as unfair to the offense as I originally thought.

I would strip any team of titles for cheating to gain an advantage. Also suspend the head coach for 1 year.

Yes, its related to the pats, but this is football its supposed to be based on playing football. How many rules have had to be changed because of the pats (other teams too)...the eligbile player, the tuck rule, spygate, deflation, etc.... Its just so distracting. Cut the head off the snake quickly. Cheat, you lose the title no matter what. Your HC gets suspended 1 year no matter what. Teams would likely stop when the realize they wont get to get the title.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    The arena league does that, or they at least did back when I watched. I love the rule. Makes close, late games far more exciting. I hate that teams can just sit on the ball in a one score game in the last two minutes.

14. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I think it's highly debatable that other legal collisions are just as violent. What they should do is what college does and make that play reviewable. Headhunting like Brandon Merriweather does should absolutely be illegal. And making the play reviewable would get rid of the calls where they throw the flag because it looks close but the slow mo replay shows a clean hit.

And this should be something the booth just automatically looks at each time it's called and not something challenges would be used for.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I would make PI a 10 yd penalty unless it was a blatant tackle while the ball was in the air to save a TD then it would be a spot foul. I've discussed this before I believe.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    I would make PI a 10 yd penalty unless it was a blatant tackle while the ball was in the air to save a TD then it would be a spot foul. I've discussed this before I believe.
    I can understand the sentiment because PI can be such a monumental play that drastically alters the game. With that being said, if it would be a fourty-four yard PI, but it's just enforced as a ten yarder, isn't that unfair?

I'd change the one helmet rule.

20. The Following 7 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I'd change the one helmet rule.
    Good shout.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information