Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Not counting the Broncos, what was the most painful loss of your life as a sports fan?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    When the Angels lost a 3-1 series lead to the Red Sox back in 83 or whatever it was. I cried in front of my grandmother.
    Tragic story. I think that was 1986.

If I can participate and say "non-football", it would be the day I found out Superman was Clark Kent. No lie, I stared at the screen for about a half an hour. I'm STILL shocked lol.

2. The Following User High Fived Devilspawn For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Most of my growing up was in Houston and two losses stand out:

1993 Oilers vs Bills playoff when Houston led 35-3 in the third quarter then lost to Buffalo and their backup quarterback.

1983 UH Cougars in the NCAA finals against North Carolina St. Houston had Hakeem, Drexler and oodles of talent, led comfortably most of the game but could not hit their free throws towards the end, allowing the Wolfpack to creep back in it. Even the game-winning shot was an air ball that got redirected into the basket. Then that rat-faced Volvano running around like an idiot.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dave Costa

Larry Holmes vs. Gerry Cooney

5. The Following User High Fived Dzone For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Also, I've witnessed some pretty tough Rifle Bears losses in the playoffs in recent years, but almost every one of those losses were to teams that should have been in 4A.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    The avs lost to the redwings in game 7 and got lit up for like 7 goals.
    Beautiful
    Free Hotcarl!

Michigan State beating Tennessee in 2010 in the Elite Eight by 1 point. The best basketball team Tennessee has ever had.

I didn't even watch the game, but in 2011 when Kentucky football beat Tennessee. It was rock bottom and hurt pretty badly.

I used to go to a lot of high school basketball games for my school because my dad kept the score clock. So I became a fan. Also, I had a lot of family that played over the years. I remember watching my cousin her senior year. It was the district tournament. It was being held at the rival school in the same town. They faced the rival school in the district final. It went into 2 overtimes and then they lost. It sucked. I hated it for my cousin. I hated it for the other players I knew. I hated that the rival school won. I hated them and most people that went there. So yeah, that one was pretty bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilspawn View Post
    Tragic story. I think that was 1986.
    It certainly was tragic. Donnie Moore gave up a grand slam late, if I remember correctly, in game 5. He committed suicide less than 12 months later after horrid treatment by some of Orange County 's finest.

Gonzales was almost lucky with that slice swing to chip the ball the other direction. That is not an easy hit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Michigan State beating Tennessee in 2010 in the Elite Eight by 1 point. The best basketball team Tennessee has ever had.

I didn't even watch the game, but in 2011 when Kentucky football beat Tennessee. It was rock bottom and hurt pretty badly.

I used to go to a lot of high school basketball games for my school because my dad kept the score clock. So I became a fan. Also, I had a lot of family that played over the years. I remember watching my cousin her senior year. It was the district tournament. It was being held at the rival school in the same town. They faced the rival school in the district final. It went into 2 overtimes and then they lost. It sucked. I hated it for my cousin. I hated it for the other players I knew. I hated that the rival school won. I hated them and most people that went there. So yeah, that one was pretty bad.
    My HS basketball team had a rough loss like that as well. We were one win away from making it to State and we went on the road to play an all-black school who had, to put it mildly, very rowdy fans. Cops had to protect our cheering section because their fans were getting very ugly with us. It was such a scary environment our student section didn't even cheer in the first half. Second half we were like screw it and decided to cheer anyway because it was a super close game. We had the ball down to and our best shooter launched a 3 and the buzzer to win the game and it went halfway down and rimmed out. That was utterly heartbreaking. In a way though, it was almost a good thing because we were legitimately scared we'd get murdered on the way to the parking lot had we beaten them.

Our football team had a really rough one as well. We made it to the state championship game two years in a row. The first year we got absolutely demolished but then we made it back the next year and it was a super close game. We had the ball in the last minute down by one score and it was like 4th and goal from the 1. We ran the ball to the right and the side judge on that side called it a touchdown. For some reason, which I will never in my life figure out, the side judge on the complete other side of the field came in and overruled him and said it was short and we lost the game. They showed a replay on the jumbotron and he easily had the ball over the goal line by a good yard or so. To overrule a ref that had a much better view of the play and to be wrong and cost a team a state title because of it might be the worst piece of officiating I have ever seen in any sport.

September 10, 2001 -- The loss of Ed McCaffery's knee

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

12. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

1993 NBA Finals. I was really pulling for Barkley and the Suns.

Adopted Bronco:

April 19, 1996. Went to the Texas Rangers game to see them play my O's. Talking shit all day and night to my local Rangers friends. Game starts off great with a Brady Anderson steroid infused leadoff home run. After 7, it's a high scoring, but close 10-7 game...and then the 8th inning. Rangers score 16 runs in the 8th and since I rode with Rangers fans...I am the lone orange shirt in the place to watch all 9 innings of a 26-7 thrashing.

Fast forward to August, 2007. Sitting in the bar having drinks with some of the same and a few other Rangers fans. Only to witness the worst loss in modern MLB history as the same Rangers destroy the Orioles 30-3.

The losses themselves were bad, but considering where I was when they happened, they were completely compounded.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

30-3?? In a baseball game?

Holy...

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    September 10, 2001 -- The loss of Ed McCaffery's knee
    Ugh. That's probably my earliest sports memory

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information