Thread: Silver: Playoff changes likely in NBA, moratorium mulled

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Silver: Playoff changes likely in NBA, moratorium mulled

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Changes to the NBA playoffs are almost certainly coming.

Changes to the league's much-discussed moratorium and Hack-a-Shaq aren't, at least not now.

After meeting with the league's Board of Governors on those and other topics Tuesday, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said that — as expected — the league is leaning toward eliminating any protection for division winners in playoff seeding going forward and instead placing the eight teams on the Eastern and Western Conference brackets based solely by record.

There was no vote Tuesday, though one is expected soon.

"It's my expectation that that change will be adopted before the beginning of this coming season," Silver said.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci...atorium-mulled

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

NFL needs to do the same thing. NBA should even go a step further and let teams in the Western Conference with a winning record replace teams in the Eastern Conference that make the playoffs with a losing record.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    NFL needs to do the same thing. NBA should even go a step further and let teams in the Western Conference with a winning record replace teams in the Eastern Conference that make the playoffs with a losing record.
    There is no way they would split the conferences when it comes to the playoffs.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    There is no way they would split the conferences when it comes to the playoffs.
    Just saying what I think should happen, not what I think will happen.

I've said it before, and I will say it again. I am in favor of rewarding the best teams, not the teams that are fortunate to play in a weaker division/conference and squeak by with a bad record.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    As much as I like the history behind the regional divisions, I don't think they make much sense nowadays. One of the main arguments was always around travel and limiting that - but they are holding games in London and teams all have first class charters, so I don't think that holds up anymore.

6. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    As much as I like the history behind the regional divisions, I don't think they make much sense nowadays. One of the main arguments was always around travel and limiting that - but they are holding games in London and teams all have first class charters, so I don't think that holds up anymore.
    The only argument that makes sense for maintaining a divisional/conference system is maintaining rivalries, and that really only makes sense in the NFL since you only have 16 games you can play. In the NBA, with 82 games, you can wipe out divisions/conferences and still get to play every team at least twice, and play most teams 3 times. And the NBA really doesn't have the same type of strong rivalries the NFL has anyway.

I really don't see any reason to keep such an antiquated system in the NBA. It just makes too much sense to blow up the divisions/conferences and just let the best 16 teams get in.

Adopted Bronco:

Default NBA leaning toward no playoff guarantee for division winners

NEWARK, N.J. — A division title might soon mean a banner but no assurance of a playoff spot in the NBA.

Commissioner Adam Silver said Wednesday the league is leaning toward not guaranteeing a postseason berth to a team that wins its division, forcing clubs to finish in the top eight of their conference if they want a shot at the title.

Silver had already said he expected a change from the current format that guarantees division winners no worse than the No. 4 seed. But after discussions with both the competition committee and board of governors, he believes the change will go further than that.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci...vision-winners

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information