Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The (British) Open Championship

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I am absolutely playing in the Open. The Comcast Open, anyway. Thought it started at 10:30. Doesn't start until 1:30. Ug.
    Lol. I bet you drove to the course and everything, didn't you?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Look out for Zach Johnson. 66 in rough conditions this afternoon.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

That was poor wording on my part, Joe. You're not playing in The Open.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Lol. I bet you drove to the course and everything, didn't you?
    No. Had a meeting at Mile High Stadium office first - that's when I found out. Came back to the home office for a bit. Thought I'd be heading straight to the course. I have an hour to kill. It was kind of fun showing up to the meeting in shorts though!

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

How U.S. Sports Media cover golf tournaments now....

Thursday: Tiger 24/7
    Friday: OH NO! Tiger may miss the cut!!!!
    Saturday: Tiger is 12 shots off the lead but he looks ready to make a comeback!
    Sunday: Say, who are all these other lads that are leading the tournament? We've never heard of them.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Dustin Johnson's drive on three was a monster.

And anyone who says the golf coverage is only Woods isn't watching.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Dustin Johnson's drive on three was a monster.

And anyone who says the golf coverage is only Woods isn't watching.
    The coverage is fine - but the fact remains that the Tiger obsession is still overblown.

My fantasy teams are awful this week. I was sure Zach Johnson wouldn't keep up his pace, and here is he playing lights out.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The coverage is fine - but the fact remains that the Tiger obsession is still overblown.

My fantasy teams are awful this week. I was sure Zach Johnson wouldn't keep up his pace, and here is he playing lights out.
    The obsession isn't the media's. ESPN would get double the ratings on the weekend if Tiger is in contention.

10. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

The obsession isn't the media's. ESPN would get double the ratings on the weekend if Tiger is in contention.
    Agreed - but when he's not in contention and still generating buzz that's where the criticism comes into play. Yesterday the evening news storyline was "Does golf need Tiger to return to dominance? What's wrong with Tiger? etc."

It's like when the Lakers are horrible but still command a disproportionate amount of the coverage.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

This is crazy.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I can't watch - you talking about the weather? Or how someone is playing?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I can't watch - you talking about the weather? Or how someone is playing?
    Weather. They restarted the second round at 1 am this morning (central), played for about 25 minutes and the guys on the 11th green couldn't place their ball and get it to stay, so they suspended play and it hasn't resumed. They are going to try to get the second round done in about an hour and then have third round Sunday, final round on Monday.

15. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

For someone who is used to 95 degrees and hot in summer, it is always amazing watching the British Open played in 60 degree weather with gusty winds and everyone in sweaters and jackets. Makes you wonder what the weather is like the rest of the year if this is "summer" for them.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Agreed - but when he's not in contention and still generating buzz that's where the criticism comes into play. Yesterday the evening news storyline was "Does golf need Tiger to return to dominance? What's wrong with Tiger? etc."
    Shows you just how big his name is in golf. It's still huge. Until there is a player that can command that kind of attention, it will be this way. Right now, its... "so who are these guys?" Hard to have interest from the audience when they don't recognize the names.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Shows you just how big his name is in golf. It's still huge. Until there is a player that can command that kind of attention, it will be this way. Right now, its... "so who are these guys?" Hard to have interest from the audience when they don't recognize the names.
    I understand your point, and I agree, but at the same time it amazes me that Woods does that to ratings.

I recognize I'm a much bigger golf fan than the general public, but it seems to me people know who Dustin Johnson is, or Spieth now. Rory isn't American, so he's never going to command that huge audience here, but he has to be a draw. Bubba Watson is a fan favorite, and kind of polarizing. I think the young talent now maybe the best golf has ever had at one time, so I am surprised ratings haven't gone up even though Tiger is struggling.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information