Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How does PFM beat teams that know how to beat him?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Hopefully, Manning listens long and hard to Elway. He can have a mediocre season (from Manning's perspective) and still break the couple of records he has left to break. AND, get another Superbowl win.
    Part of the equation is Kubiak et al, creating an effective running game that can prove itself to Manning early. If he isn't confident in the running game, he's not going to want to relinquish control of the offense.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Part of the equation is Kubiak et al, creating an effective running game that can prove itself to Manning early. If he isn't confident in the running game, he's not going to want to relinquish control of the offense.
    Well, my glasses are pretty orange these days - I have a VERY good feeling about our running game.

EDIT: And our defense!
    Last edited by BroncoJoe; 07-11-2015 at 11:06 AM.

3. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Running the ball and running it with success will be important. But overall its just a matter of things coming together in all facets of the team. You have to stay healthy, hope for a better matchup team wise and have some good bounces go your way.

I don't think there is a "blue print" on how to beat Manning...or any great QB. That's not how great QBs become great. You can't simply plug in a "formula" and beat him. If thats all it took, EVERYONE would beat them and the teams they lead.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

6. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I don't think there is a "blue print" on how to beat Manning...or any great QB. That's not how great QBs become great. You can't simply plug in a "formula" and beat him. If thats all it took, EVERYONE would beat them and the teams they lead.
    Few teams have all the players on defense to execute well against Manning.

8. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Yeah, obviously there is a style of play that works against him, but that doesn't matter if you don't have the players to execute it.

10. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Yeah, obviously there is a style of play that works against him, but that doesn't matter if you don't have the players to execute it.
    I think its the same "style" that works against every QB. Try to mess with the timing, and put pressure on the QB. Every defense in the NFL tries to do that. Teams aren't going to 'outsmart' Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Luck, or Brees. Instead, they try to manhandle what they CAN control, and hope it causes enough havoc to cause THOSE players to make mistakes.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

12. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I think its the same "style" that works against every QB. Try to mess with the timing, and put pressure on the QB. Every defense in the NFL tries to do that. Teams aren't going to 'outsmart' Manning, Rodgers, Brady, Luck, or Brees. Instead, they try to manhandle what they CAN control, and hope it causes enough havoc to cause THOSE players to make mistakes.
    Really, I think Rogers, brees, and luck can all escape the pocket, Brady has more toughness to dust himself off and stand tall the next snap.

Peyton lacks this.

That is why I think the "blueprint" is so applicable to PFM

14. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The "blueprint" to beat Manning is the blueprint to beat any elite quarterback.

Denver needs to do better finding an early offensive rhythm in each game and hope that carries through to the playoffs. Shanahan, for all his faults, always emphasized first-drive scores, mostly touchdowns, and after last season that's what I'd like to see Kubiak emphasize.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

16. The Following 5 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    hope the new o line becomes superstars
    Not holding my breath on that one.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    The simple answer to your question is that PFM doesn't beat teams that know how to beat him and have the personnel to execute that plan.

That is why, when we go up against a team like that (Seattle, etc.), we have to be able to beat them with our team instead of just relying on PFM all by himself. We have to run the ball and play great defense etc.

PFM is great enough to beat a lot of teams all by himself, but when you get into the playoffs, you need to be able to support your QB with other aspects of the team. Your defense can't allow Baltimore to score 38 points, or allow Seattle to completely ignore your running game while jumping all of your pass routes.
    This is the simplest and best answer to the question - run game and defense.

Peyton's teams through the years have been great regular season teams when he can do his thing and dominate. Playoffs are usually a different animal. The team needs an identity that is not just PFM trying to outsmart everyone else. That often works (and carried us in 2013 when our defense was in shambles and the injuries were piling up) but if you run into a buzz saw that takes this away, we need something else.

Like most things, though, coaching is a big part of it. The Seahawks should have been able to do to the Patriots the same thing they did to us. However, we had no game plan to beat them and Belichick had a masterful one.

In 2012 the Ravens won the Super Bowl. That year they ran the ball 472 times and passed it 560 times during the season. In the playoffs they only passed it 126 times while running it 136 times. In 2013 they ran the ball much less than passing, 405 to 614, and missed the playoffs. In 2014, under Kubiak, they had more similar number to 2012. They ran the ball 435 times and passed 554 times. In the playoffs, they didn't balance out like they did in 2012. They ran it 52 times and passed 74 times. So, will Kubiak have what it takes to run the ball in the playoffs? He doesn't have a ton of experience (4 games).

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I think this is why Denver wants to get back to being more than just a threat to run a draw play to keep defenses honest.

The good thing about this year is that the running games deficiencies will mesh with Manning's decades-long strengths, in their ZBS Denver typically doesn't give a fat rats ass about goal line, short yardage and pass pro and this is where Manning still excels. Goal line will inevitably feel the loss of JT, tho.

If all else fails we could just "perceive" Manning is better than he is, kinda like we've done for decades when the ZBS racks up tons of yards between the 20's.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I think this is why Denver wants to get back to being more than just a threat to run a draw play to keep defenses honest.

The good thing about this year is that the running games deficiencies will mesh with Manning's decades-long strengths, in their ZBS Denver typically doesn't give a fat rats ass about goal line, short yardage and pass pro and this is where Manning still excels. Goal line will inevitably feel the loss of JT, tho.

If all else fails we could just "perceive" Manning is better than he is, kinda like we've done for decades when the ZBS racks up tons of yards between the 20's.
    Good point-

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    In 2012 the Ravens won the Super Bowl. That year they ran the ball 472 times and passed it 560 times during the season. In the playoffs they only passed it 126 times while running it 136 times. In 2013 they ran the ball much less than passing, 405 to 614, and missed the playoffs. In 2014, under Kubiak, they had more similar number to 2012. They ran the ball 435 times and passed 554 times. In the playoffs, they didn't balance out like they did in 2012. They ran it 52 times and passed 74 times. So, will Kubiak have what it takes to run the ball in the playoffs? He doesn't have a ton of experience (4 games).
    I don't know...I thought Baltimore looked really good against NE in NE. They nearly won that game. I think they were just taking what the Patriots were giving them.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information