Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Demaryius Thomas, Broncos still searching for middle ground as deadline nears

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I'm not really sure what to tell you here, Joe, because the Broncos have signed three players to a second contract or an extension in the last 10 drafts. Two (Chris Kuper and Ryan Clady) were signed by McDaniels and one (Virgil Green) was signed by Elway.
    dumervil, chris harris, colquitt, prater, just off the top of my head. . . plus david bruton. . . yea, pretty bad, though. . . denver has been terrible at drafting for a long time now, through several regimes. . .
    Last edited by dogfish; 07-08-2015 at 12:19 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    dumervil, chris harris, colquitt, prater, just off the top of my head. . .
    You got me on Dumervil. None of the rest were drafted. I was specific about that for a reason, because that's what Elway said in his initial press conference.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Dumervil was also drafted by Shanahan and signed by McDaniels. So we're still on 1 for Elway.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Someone will counter with Chris Harris. Four in 10 years still isn't good IMO.
    David bruton, Elvis Dumervil...

Adopted Bronco:

Dumervil was also drafted by Shanahan and signed by McDaniels. So we're still on 1 for Elway.
    well, if you're just grading elway, it's probably fair to mention that he's only HAD one of his draft classes come up for extensions. . . guys like von and roby will get extended when their time comes. . . you can't blame him for letting julius thomas and rahim moore go given the circumsances. . . but yea, we do need to draft better. . .

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

So we're all the way up to 5 and 4 were signed by McDaniels. 5 in 10 years is still a terrible number.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

well, if you're just grading elway, it's probably fair to mention that he's only HAD one of his draft classes come up for extensions. . . guys like von and roby will get extended when their time comes. . . you can't blame him for letting julius thomas and rahim moore go given the circumsances. . . but yea, we do need to draft better. . .
    I assume after Manning retires he'll sign a few more home grown players and as long as they win its fine. But to me, it's a little troubling that only 5 players in 10 years got a 2nd contract.

Elways draft picks just hit the market this year. Franklin and rahim got paid. there were teams that valued Elways picks.

For reference, here are the Broncos' drafts since 2005.

2014 1 Bradley Roby DB
    2014 2 Cody Latimer WR
    2014 3 Michael Schofield OL
    2014 5 Lamin Barrow LB
    2014 6 Matt Paradis OL
    2014 7 Corey Nelson LB
    2013 1 Sylvester Williams DT
    2013 2 Montee Ball RB
    2013 3 Kayvon Webster DB
    2013 5 Quanterus Smith DE
    2013 5 Tavarres King WR
    2013 6 Vinston Painter OL
    2013 7 Zac Dysert QB
    2012 2 Derek Wolfe DT
    2012 2 Brock Osweiler QB
    2012 3 Ronnie Hillman RB
    2012 4 Omar Bolden DB
    2012 4 Philip Blake OL
    2012 5 Malik Jackson DT
    2012 6 Danny Trevathan LB
    2011 1 Von Miller LB
    2011 2 Rahim Moore DB
    2011 2 Orlando Franklin OL
    2011 3 Nate Irving LB
    2011 4 Quinton Carter DB
    2011 4 Julius Thomas TE
    2011 6 Mike Mohamed LB
    2011 7 Virgil Green TE
    2011 7 Jeremy Beal DL
    2010 1 Demaryius Thomas WR
    2010 1 Tim Tebow QB
    2010 2 Zane Beadles G
    2010 3 J.D. Walton C
    2010 3 Eric Decker WR
    2010 5 Perrish Cox DB
    2010 6 Eric Olsen C
    2010 7 Syd'Quan Thompson DB
    2010 7 Jammie Kirlew DE
    2009 1 Knowshon Moreno RB
    2009 1 Robert Ayers DE
    2009 2 Alphonso Smith DB
    2009 2 Darcel McBath DB
    2009 2 Richard Quinn TE
    2009 4 David Bruton DB
    2009 4 Seth Olsen G
    2009 5 Kenny McKinley WR
    2009 6 Tom Brandstater QB
    2009 7 Blake Schlueter C
    2008 1 Ryan Clady T
    2008 2 Eddie Royal WR
    2008 4 Kory Lichtensteiger C
    2008 4 Jack Williams DB
    2008 5 Ryan Torain RB
    2008 5 Carlton Powell DT
    2008 6 Spencer Larsen LB
    2008 7 Josh Barrett DB
    2008 7 Peyton Hillis FB
    2007 1 Jarvis Moss DE
    2007 2 Tim Crowder DE
    2007 3 Ryan Harris T
    2007 4 Marcus Thomas DT
    2006 1 Jay Cutler QB
    2006 2 Tony Scheffler TE
    2006 4 Brandon Marshall WR
    2006 4 Elvis Dumervil DE
    2006 4 Domenik Hixon WR
    2006 5 Chris Kuper OG
    2006 6 Greg Eslinger C
    2005 2 Darrent Williams DB
    2005 3 Karl Paymah DB
    2005 3 Domonique Foxworth DB
    2005 3 Maurice Clarett RB
    2005 6 Chris Myers G
    2005 7 Paul Ernster K

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Not a big Woody fan, but I like what he said about DT: Franchise him twice then get rid of him.
    The Broncos are much deeper at WR than the average fan seems to think. And I would rather
    see them develop the interior lines and, of course, future QB.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

11. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Not a big Woody fan, but I like what he said about DT: Franchise him twice then get rid of him.
    The Broncos are much deeper at WR than the average fan seems to think. And I would rather
    see them develop the interior lines and, of course, future QB.
    Only if Latimer steps up. If he doesn't, the position is quite shallow past Sanders and Thomas.

Adopted Bronco:

I assume after Manning retires he'll sign a few more home grown players and as long as they win its fine. But to me, it's a little troubling that only 5 players in 10 years got a 2nd contract.
    i don't disagree with you in theory, but that's what happens when you have bad management. . . your boy mcdaniels is more to blame than anyone-- he shipped out most of our recent draft picks with zero effort at developing them, and then left elway with a bunch of garbage besides DT and decker. . . with the roster getting basically gutted twice in five years, yea, it is gonna look that way. . .

if elway brings in some journeyman vet after manning, i will very much share your concern. . . but i think the unprecedented opportunity to get PFE was a MORE than understandable reason for diverting from the draft-and-develop strategy. . . i'd be a lot more disappointed if we wouldn't try to make a run under the circumstances. . . this can potentially be a very different conversation in three years, but for now i'm not sweating it too badly. . . i would guess that at least one of wolfe and jackson earns an extension this coming off-season, and i bet trevathan would have been in line for one if his knee had held up. . . sylvester williams is another candidate. . . i think we'll see it happening in the next couple of years. . .

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

i don't disagree with you in theory, but that's what happens when you have bad management. . . your boy mcdaniels is more to blame than anyone-- he shipped out most of our recent draft picks with zero effort at developing them, and then left elway with a bunch of garbage besides DT and decker. . . with the roster getting basically gutted twice in five years, yea, it is gonna look that way. . .

if elway brings in some journeyman vet after manning, i will very much share your concern. . . but i think the unprecedented opportunity to get PFE was a MORE than understandable reason for diverting from the draft-and-develop strategy. . . i'd be a lot more disappointed if we wouldn't try to make a run under the circumstances. . . this can potentially be a very different conversation if three years, but for now i'm not sweating it too badly. . . i would guess that at least one of wolfe and jackson earns an extension this coming off-season, and i bet trevathan would have been in line for one if his knee had held up. . . sylvester williams is another candidate. . . i think we'll see it happening in the next couple of years. . .
    Elway has let go of much better talent than McDaniels, so let's not get too crazy.

I'll completely reserve judgment as long as Elway wins and until Manning retires, but I'll definitely point it out that the track record has not been good, and it's actually been worse with Elway.

15. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Only if Latimer steps up. If he doesn't, the position is quite shallow past Sanders and Thomas.
    Well, it would appear that way, but it is my understanding that Norwood and Fowler really
    impressed. I mean, look at the WR corps of the Patriots and Seahawks, respectively --
    the SB champions of the last two years, as you know. How much fear to they strike in the
    hearts of opposing secondaries?
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Well, it would appear that way, but it is my understanding that Norwood and Fowler really
    impressed. I mean, look at the WR corps of the Patriots and Seahawks, respectively --
    the SB champions of the last two years, as you know. How much fear to they strike in the
    hearts of opposing secondaries?
    We have two sure things. And three maybes. And nothing at tight end. I'm not worried about how the Seahawks roster or Patriots rosters looked in the past. That Seahawks roster had better receivers than Norwood or Fowler (I'll admit, I know nothing about Fowler), for sure and the Broncos don't have Gronk, they jettisoned that option.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information