Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Several Bronco defensive players in contract year

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I think Wolfe is a good player. I never claimed he was an all pro, but a good player nevertheless. Sometimes I wonder if his drop in numbers has a little to do with the difference between Del Rio's scheme and Allen's.
    Second ranked against the run according to PFF.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

2. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Second ranked against the run according to PFF.
    How about that.

No question Wolfe is a stout run defender, and that's what you need in a 3-4 DE. He's a mauler too which is also what you need. I expected him to have a big year.

Now, missing 4 games is going to set him back considerably. It takes time to get in football shape, and everybody else is going to be in mid-season form before he even gets started. That might mean it's the 5th or 6th game of the season before he gets into the swing of things.

Happened to Von Miller last year and he had an off-year.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    No question Wolfe is a stout run defender, and that's what you need in a 3-4 DE. He's a mauler too which is also what you need. I expected him to have a big year.

Now, missing 4 games is going to set him back considerably. It takes time to get in football shape, and everybody else is going to be in mid-season form before he even gets started. That might mean it's the 5th or 6th game of the season before he gets into the swing of things.

Happened to Von Miller last year and he had an off-year.
    You mean 2013 don't you because last year Miller had some good numbers 14 sacks included.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    You mean 2013 don't you because last year Miller had some good numbers 14 sacks included.
    Well, frankly, he had 2 off years. 14 sacks for a guy who should be up around 18+ with his talent, and most of all he disappeared in the playoff game completely.

He was heavier last year and it hurt his burst. He no longer had the zip he had previously. He's lost weight this off-season and claims he's faster, so we'll see if that positively impacts his play.

He's much better suited to being an OLB in a 3-4 than lining up in a 4-3.

7. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Well, frankly, he had 2 off years. 14 sacks for a guy who should be up around 18+ with his talent, and most of all he disappeared in the playoff game completely.

He was heavier last year and it hurt his burst. He no longer had the zip he had previously. He's lost weight this off-season and claims he's faster, so we'll see if that positively impacts his play.

He's much better suited to being an OLB in a 3-4 than lining up in a 4-3.
    He played in nine games in 2013 so no he didn't miss two seasons and injured in the second to the last game of the season which was in Houston. No he wasn't heavier last season he was lighter in 2014 it was talked about in camp last year how Miller had trimmed down. I don't know of any elite pass rushers who get 18 every season and give the fact he was coming off an acl injury and consider when he was injured in 2013 and takes about a year to heal well his numbers are pretty good.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 07-28-2015 at 08:16 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

He played in about eight games in 2013 so no he didn't miss two season and no he wasn't heavier last season he was lighter in 2014 he was heavier in 2013 because of the layoff. I don't know of any elite pass rushers that does that every year that are going have 18 or more sacks year and year out.
    Watch out TX, he might call you an idiot.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

10. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Watch out TX, he might call you an idiot.
    He might but Bosco is far worse to deal with.

He played in nine games in 2013 so no he didn't miss two seasons and injured in the second to the last game of the season which was in Houston. No he wasn't heavier last season he was lighter in 2014 it was talked about in camp last year how Miller had trimmed down. I don't know of any elite pass rushers who get 18 every season and give the fact he was coming off an acl injury and consider when he was injured in 2013 and takes about a year to heal well his numbers are pretty good.
    Didn't say he missed two seasons. He just underwhelmed last year. Compare the year he had with 14 sacks to Justin Houston who had 22! He and DeMarcus Ware were total non-factors in the playoff loss. I can't remember hearing their names once. So, not a great season. Maybe the injury the previous year slowed him down, maybe not.

Hopefully the new scheme will help him this season. He needs to have a big year if he wants that $16 million a season that would make him the highest paid defensive player.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Didn't say he missed two seasons. He just underwhelmed last year. Compare the year he had with 14 sacks to Justin Houston who had 22! He and DeMarcus Ware were total non-factors in the playoff loss. I can't remember hearing their names once. So, not a great season. Maybe the injury the previous year slowed him down, maybe not.

Hopefully the new scheme will help him this season. He needs to have a big year if he wants that $16 million a season that would make him the highest paid defensive player.
    Justin Houston wasn't coming off a acl tear. Also getting 14 sack is still considered a very good season. If you think Houston or even Watt are going to get 18 or more sack year in and year out tben you are mistaken.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 07-30-2015 at 08:31 AM.

Justin Houston wasn't coming off a acl tear. Also getting 14 sack is still considered a very good season. If you think Houston or even Watt are going to get 18 or more sack year in and year out tben you are mistaken.
    I certainly hope Houston doesn't get any against the Broncos! As for Watt, I would not bet against the best defensive player in the NFL, hands down. He's just a total beast. Getting 20 sacks again? What I want to know is "who's going to stop him?"

Every team he plays knows that they have to get him blocked or he's going right into a gap and rip their QB's head off. He does it anyway. Barring injury, I don't know what's likely to change this season.

Check this video:

Watt - "All I know is, you mess with me, you've got problems! I don't care who they put in there at OT! Whoo!"

"That guy ain't blocked me one time! There's no way I'm moving, I'm lining up here!"

[To the ref:] "Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me? I'm beating these guys like a drum out here!"

He was the first NFL player to have 20 or more sacks in 2 NFL seasons. In four years 58 sacks? Not exactly a huge drop off expected.
    Last edited by Cugel; 07-31-2015 at 07:43 PM.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information