Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: PFT Report: Broncos tried to trade Manning to Texans this offseason

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Default PFT Report: Broncos tried to trade Manning to Texans this offseason

Interesting...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ing-to-texans/

According to Benjamin Allbright of 94.1 FM in Denver, the Broncos tried to trade Manning to Houston during the offseason. He cites “two unrelated official sources” for the report, adding that “certain elements” of the Broncos organization wanted the Brock Osweiler era to start in 2015.

My first reaction was to scoff, but then I remembered this item from PFT regarding the presence of a no-trade clause for 2015 in Manning’s revised contract. Manning didn’t need to ask for a no-trade clause unless he feared that his restructured contract, with a base salary of only $15 million, would make another team more likely to do the deal.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I don't buy it and Patrick Smyth just tweeted

@PSmyth12 Here's one for the record - The speculation is false, and your report is inaccurate. https://t.co/Epge4WkOrX

3. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

On the other side of the token, Vic and Mason are both saying their sources say there is no truth to this rumor.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I remember saying when the news of him getting a no-trade clause came out that there would be no reason to request that unless he thought there was a chance Denver might try to trade him. Not saying this report is definitely accurate, but it would back up that thought.

6. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Seems really unlikely to me. Albright is looking for clicks. Too random to come out now, I suspect.

Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell 34m34 minutes ago

Also also seems weird that the Broncos would have wanted to move on from Peyton Manning yet only offered him to one other team.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 25m25 minutes ago

Did some digging on the Peyton story. According to my sources, the Broncos never tried to trade him. Certainly tried to cut more salary.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 18m18 minutes ago

Hearing from people close to the situation that there's no truth to rumors that the @Broncos tried to trade Peyton Manning this offseason.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 12m12 minutes ago

Let's get this straight: Guy who's radio station is no longer on air reports Peyton Manning trade to Houston. And it spreads. What a biz.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 7m7 minutes ago

Tom Condon, Peyton Manning's agent, to 9News: "I've never spoken to Denver or Houston regarding a PM trade." #9News #9Sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 6m6 minutes ago

Tom Condon would be involved if there was proposed Peyton Manning deal because contract would have to be re-negotiated for deal to happen

John McClain

@McClain_on_NFL

Sorry this took so long, but I wanted to talk with 3 Texans sources I trust about Manning report. All tell me it's not true.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Apparently a totally different guy said the same thing (that Denver discussed Manning trade) on this podcast:

http://www.nfl.com/podcasts?id=23017...4d26e19c447f24

I'm listening to it now to see what part of the podcast it's on.

So now in one hand you have Peyton asking for a no-trade clause, and in the other hand you have multiple guys saying sources told them about trade talks.

Maybe it's just a giant coincidence and all these guys are lying or misinformed, or maybe where there's smoke there's fire.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Apparently a totally different guy said the same thing (that Denver discussed Manning trade) on this podcast:

http://www.nfl.com/podcasts?id=23017...4d26e19c447f24

I'm listening to it now to see what part of the podcast it's on.

So now in one hand you have Peyton asking for a no-trade clause, and in the other hand you have multiple guys saying sources told them about trade talks.

Maybe it's just a giant coincidence and all these guys are lying or misinformed, or maybe where there's smoke there's fire.
    Skip to 16:22 of this podcast to hear the guy talk about the Manning stuff. Basically saying the exact same stuff Allbright said.

I wish they traded him to the Bengals.

Although it would be fun to see Brock start.

False/True or not that story is not good.

Hopefully it's something Elway and Manning are laughing about right now. Ugh
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

12. The Following User High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

I just don't like when rumors can fly around with no substantive information to back it up - who initiated these talks? What were the Broncos looking to get in exchange? Who backed out? Without details, this is just wild speculation, given that every other "source" has denied it, as well as the Broncos and Tom Condon. Plausible? Sure. Did it happen? I don't see it given what we know.

On the other hand, I hope that if it DID happen, it went something like this:

Elway: "We'll trade you Manning for Watt straight up. No? Well, it was worth a shot. Forget I mentioned it, in that case."

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Bogus story to get attention

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Feigning the "oh, it's late in the day, I don't know if I can get an official comment" tweet was gold. Patrick Smyth's comeback was hilarious.

Like every media person in town couldn't reach Patrick Smyth at any hour of the day...lol.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Bogus story to get attention
    This same guy also reported Bradford to the Eagles before pretty much anyone else. And as you see from my link I posted, basically the exact same thing was said on an NFL.com podcast 3 weeks ago. So either two totally separate people are making up the exact same story, or maybe just maybe there is a little something to it.

I'm not saying it definitely happened, but between two people reporting it and Manning getting the no-trade clause, it seems like a little more than just some random dude trying to get attention.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

It is possible that the same "source" floated the same story to both guys and maybe he is misinformed, but I have a hard time believing that two different people just made up this story for attention.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Feigning the "oh, it's late in the day, I don't know if I can get an official comment" tweet was gold. Patrick Smyth's comeback was hilarious.

Like every media person in town couldn't reach Patrick Smyth at any hour of the day...lol.
    To be fair, of course anyone involved with the Broncos is going to deny it publicly. It's not like anyone is going to come out on the record and say "Yeah, we tried to trade Peyton".

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information