Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why Peyton Manning makes every line work

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Why Peyton Manning makes every line work

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story...-line-work-nfl

The sky began to fall in Denver on Thursday after the report that Pro Bowl left tackle Ryan Clady is likely out for the season with a torn ACL. This leaves right guard Louis Vasquez as the only remaining starter from last year's offensive line. This many changes up front can doom your season, especially when its fate hinges on protecting 39- year-old Peyton Manning. We already had Denver's offensive line pegged as the team's biggest weakness, and it just got weaker.

In his 18th season, Manning has arguably never had an offensive line this unaccomplished. The Broncos will potentially start a second-round rookie at left tackle (
    Ty Sambrailo). Left guard Shelley Smith, signed in March, has 11 career starts. Center Gino Gradkowski, acquired from Baltimore in April, has 16 career starts and will face competition from Max Garcia, a fourth-round rookie. On Thursday, suddenly desperate for depth, Denver signed right tackle Ryan Harris, who started 15 games for Kansas City last year.

Then again, as long as Manning is the quarterback, does it really matter who starts along the offensive line?

2. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

I remember the Super Bowl loss and afterwards all the bellyaching was about how slow our line looked against the Seahawks and how Manning had no time to throw, etc.

Now, we're looking at having guys like Clark, Harris, Vasquez and some rookies try to fill those same holes and I am just not seeing it.

Manning has the talent to beat most teams but, as the Rams showed us last year, he cannot beat a quality pass rush without help.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

From what we have read/heard, there will be more running plays this year than in the past. This should take pressure off of the passing game.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

That works if we don't find ourselves in 3rd-and-longs.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    From what we have read/heard, there will be more running plays this year than in the past. This should take pressure off of the passing game.
    Until this makeshift offensive line can't open holes for the running back and we are playing from behind all the time and having to rely on the passing game to bring the team back but can't because they can't protect Manning long or well enough to throw the ball.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

9. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Guess we have no choice but to wait and see how it plays out.

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Until this makeshift offensive line can't open holes for the running back and we are playing from behind all the time and having to rely on the passing game to bring the team back but can't because they can't protect Manning long or well enough to throw the ball.
    Assume what you want to. I'll wait and see.

13. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Assume what you want to. I'll wait and see.
    I don't really think it's an assumption at all. I think right now it's a real good possibility that will happen. Aside from Vasquez this line is 100% unproven save for Clark at LT two seasons ago.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

I don't understand the coaches' hesitation to move Clark back to LT considering how effective he was there two years ago. He didn't really perform well at RT so what's the advantage to not giving him a shot?
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    I don't understand the coaches' hesitation to move Clark back to LT considering how effective he was there two years ago. He didn't really perform well at RT so what's the advantage to not giving him a shot?
    ive been thinking the same thing

18. The Following User High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Default Chris Clark's leadership needed now more than ever

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – With the announcement that left tackle Ryan Clady has suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament during the first day of OTAs now makes for an important offseason for the Broncos offensive line.

A position group that seemed to be in flux before now boasts more question marks than answers. The Broncos now only return two lineman who garnered starts last season for the 2015 slate: tackle Chris Clark and guard Louis Vasquez.

While the group may look to rookie tackle Ty Sambrailo and 2014 draft pick tackle Michael Schofield for assistance, Clark’s experience and leadership is needed now more than ever. Over his seven-year career, Clark has notched 27 starts.
    rest - plus videos
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...7-635305d10c4b

THIS ONES FOR JOHN

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by spikerman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    ive been thinking the same thing
    I think Sambrailo was drafted to eventually take over LT sooner or later, looks like it's sooner. Hopefully he's closer to Jared Veldheer than Sam Baker and Tyson Clabo, he sure as **** isn't Joe Thomas.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

21. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

We know Manning releases the ball quicker than pretty much any NFL QBs and that helps him avoid pressure... But what this doesn't account for is all of the ineffective passes that were incomplete or went for a loss of 3 because of his unwillingness to extend the play or stand in the pocket and take a hit.

It might help improve the o-line pass pro statistics, but in practice it doesn't reduce the importance of good o-line play.

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I think Sambrailo was drafted to eventually take over LT sooner or later, looks like it's sooner. Hopefully he's closer to Jared Veldheer than Sam Baker and Tyson Clabo, he sure as **** isn't Joe Thomas.
    So we're thinking Baktiari type, wishing he was Doug Free? Perfect. God, I hope Ty is a quick learner. I need him to be more than an Adam Meadows type (one of Peyton's old linemen with the Colts). Ty is bigger, but movement skills can only take you so far. Fingers are crossed that he can make some exponential leaps in technique and strength in his first year.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

The chiefs had 4 new guys on their oline last year didnt they? Didnt they lose their entire oline between last year and this years?

Jamal Charles still ran the ball pretty well. Even Alex smiff was able to throw tds to his TE and his RBs (they dont play with WR in KC)

The way I see it, the only way to shut down our run game is to put 8-9 in the box...CJ can and will break tackles, we have seen it. If they are going to put 8-9 in the box that leaves manning with 1 v 1 everywhere else, in man coverage....Thinking he wont find the hot read, the open man or that our guys cant get open or out jump the dbs is pretty freaking foolish if you ask me.

IM still so incredibly amazed at how much credit Adam Gase is given for this team last year and how the blame falls on manning. The Rams game is a great ex someone used above. I blame Gase for that game and his terrible play calling. Had he called just 1 more bubble screen that game we may have actually won, sadly only 12 were and that wont cut it.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information