Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast

Thread: The Running Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I'm hurting this morning. Had a really good workout at my friend's gym, the Ninja Warrior training center. Bashed my shin doing some parkour stuff just screwing around. Anyhow, it was a really good workout, unfortunately one of the wives that came out for a workout blew out her Achilles, but outside of that it was great. This morning was Staff NCO PT so all the Staff Sergeants and above got together for it. We did a half mile warmup jog (4 min), stretch, then we got up on the Mississippi River levee and did 1/2 mile runs for time, 6 of them. So we would run a half mile in under 3:30 then a 1:30 rest. For each person that finished after the cutoff time we lost 15 seconds of rest. The first two were easy, then people started wearing down. I finished all 6 of our half mile runs in under the time allotted but there were a few that couldn't after the first one. We finished up with a half mile cooldown and some stretching. Total run: 4 miles
    We used to do 400m laps of a track at soccer training. Everyone that finished after one minute lost rest time for us all.

It was a lick out

2. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I'm hurting this morning. Had a really good workout at my friend's gym, the Ninja Warrior training center. Bashed my shin doing some parkour stuff just screwing around. Anyhow, it was a really good workout, unfortunately one of the wives that came out for a workout blew out her Achilles, but outside of that it was great.

This morning was Staff NCO PT so all the Staff Sergeants and above got together for it. We did a half mile warmup jog (4 min), stretch, then we got up on the Mississippi River levee and did 1/2 mile runs for time, 6 of them. So we would run a half mile in under 3:30 then a 1:30 rest. For each person that finished after the cutoff time we lost 15 seconds of rest. The first two were easy, then people started wearing down. I finished all 6 of our half mile runs in under the time allotted but there were a few that couldn't after the first one. We finished up with a half mile cooldown and some stretching.

Total run: 4 miles
    I love watching that Ninja Warrior show with my son on Mondays. I like to think I could get past a few of those things but I have the upper body strength and athleticism of a mannequin. No way I could do any of the rock climber type traverses they have on that show. A few years ago when they did Ninja Warrior in Denver we got to try out the warped wall with a few other people when they were setting up. It took me three tries but I got up it thanks to my lanky monkey arms.

4. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    When I was running a lot, I started to develop IT Band Syndrome, which is one of the more common knee issues. Not sure if that's what you have, but some of the stretches helped me out quite a bit - http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/it-band-syndrome
    It feels slightly different. But you out me on the right track. While looking into this I found "Patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS), or runner's knee". Reading about it is an accurate description.

As to what Davii said, that's the best advice. I wanted to see the doctor but my insurance ran out when I left my job and now I have to wait for it. I could get temporary insurance but it really only works in major emergencies. But I'm hoping to get it looked at asap.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

So I've been training for a 5k recently, did the couch to 5k program because I was in no running shape at all when I decided to start. Started the program about 2 months ago and finally ran my first 5K ever this week.

I ran one on Monday, and in a move of utter genius, decided to run when it was like 100 degrees outside. Needless to say that didn't go to well, but I did finish it in a time of about 37:30. On Wednesday I ran another one and decided to wait until the sun went down which vastly improved my time, about 31:50. My goal is to get it under 30 soon. And also to find a 5k to sign up for and run.

7. The Following 5 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    So I've been training for a 5k recently, did the couch to 5k program because I was in no running shape at all when I decided to start. Started the program about 2 months ago and finally ran my first 5K ever this week.

I ran one on Monday, and in a move of utter genius, decided to run when it was like 100 degrees outside. Needless to say that didn't go to well, but I did finish it in a time of about 37:30. On Wednesday I ran another one and decided to wait until the sun went down which vastly improved my time, about 31:50. My goal is to get it under 30 soon. And also to find a 5k to sign up for and run.
    Good job!

I am proud of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

9. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Averaging 10 minutes per mile is a great goal. Keep it up. Just don't rush it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Averaging 10 minutes per mile is a great goal. Keep it up. Just don't rush it.
    If anything I've been slacking more than rushing it. I try to run 3 times a week but some weeks I only get 2 runs in. It's just so damn hot here right now there's like an hour window I can run between when the sun goes down and when the park I run in closes. I will be happy when fall gets here.

12. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

If anything I've been slacking more than rushing it. I try to run 3 times a week but some weeks I only get 2 runs in. It's just so damn hot here right now there's like an hour window I can run between when the sun goes down and when the park I run in closes. I will be happy when fall gets here.
    I went from a 40 min 5k when I started to my personal record of 26 minutes in a few months by doing 2 5ks a week sometimes and then doing speed drills on a track other weeks. Its good to take breaks as well as break up your routines. The thing that really got me over the hump was learning how to do deep breathing and alternating my pace to counter fatigue. Sometimes my split time on my second mile will be around 9 minutes, but then after running like an old man for a mile I get my "second wind" or whatever and I can practically sprint the last mile.

I think the key is posture and breathing so that your stomach inflates as you run. This helps you get a good cadence. If you feel your self slouching take a deep breath to reset. Its amazing how much more energy you have when you have oxygen going to all of your muscles efficiently.

I also had runners knee or something similar a few months ago and a simple knee brace does wonders. And yes, running in the heat SUCKS. I've been waiting until nearly 8pm to do my runs lately and it helps. Can't wait for the fall season...

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I went from a 40 min 5k when I started to my personal record of 26 minutes in a few months by doing 2 5ks a week sometimes and then doing speed drills on a track other weeks. Its good to take breaks as well as break up your routines. The thing that really got me over the hump was learning how to do deep breathing and alternating my pace to counter fatigue. Sometimes my split time on my second mile will be around 9 minutes, but then after running like an old man for a mile I get my "second wind" or whatever and I can practically sprint the last mile.

I think the key is posture and breathing so that your stomach inflates as you run. This helps you get a good cadence. If you feel your self slouching take a deep breath to reset. Its amazing how much more energy you have when you have oxygen going to all of your muscles efficiently.

I also had runners knee or something similar a few months ago and a simple knee brace does wonders. And yes, running in the heat SUCKS. I've been waiting until nearly 8pm to do my runs lately and it helps. Can't wait for the fall season...
    Yeah, I was planning to throw in some speed runs as well. Will probably do that for my next run.

And so far I've been lucky not to get any injuries and even the soreness after runs has been mild. I've been careful not to overdo it.

16. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Muy last run was six miles. I did it on 52 mins.

I was running with an old army buddy who is still doing a job at the pointy end of the spear so he has kept in better shape than me, but it was great running with someone faster than me..... And still trying to run l like we did years ago.

Going to try and meet up with him once a week and I really think he will improve my short to medium distance times.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Yeah, I was planning to throw in some speed runs as well. Will probably do that for my next run.

And so far I've been lucky not to get any injuries and even the soreness after runs has been mild. I've been careful not to overdo it.
    A good one is the old run the straight and jog/walk the curves on a standard track. Good way to build cardio.

20. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3038289073.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	9260

Slower than previous thirteen milers but really enjoyable

22. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Now this is a race I might be willing to partake in:

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

About to change over and head out for, as Dave would say, a wee 3 miler on the levee. I'm currently training for Battle Races New Orleans that will happen next month and have been doing a ton of the Ninja Warrior gym training for obstacles. The runs between the obstacles are all under a mile so I'm not working on my steady state cardio as much lately, more sprints and higher speed short runs.

26. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

About to change over and head out for, as Dave would say, a wee 3 miler on the levee. I'm currently training for Battle Races New Orleans that will happen next month and have been doing a ton of the Ninja Warrior gym training for obstacles. The runs between the obstacles are all under a mile so I'm not working on my steady state cardio as much lately, more sprints and higher speed short runs.
    Sounds like the Spartan and Tough Mudder I did. I was so worried about training for the running portions but there were so many obstacles that you would run a quarter of a mile then wait in line for 5-10 minutes. Good conditioning training though.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information