Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42 43 44 LastLast

Thread: The Running Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I finally started running again after injuring my knee over a month ago in Iceland.

It was my third attempt in that time, the other two resulted in me walking home after a mile.

Felt good pain wise....... But I only did six miles and I was ******. Crazy how when you stop running even only for a month so, how quickly the body atrophies

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I finally started running again after injuring my knee over a month ago in Iceland.

It was my third attempt in that time, the other two resulted in me walking home after a mile.

Felt good pain wise....... But I only did six miles and I was ******. Crazy how when you stop running even only for a month so, how quickly the body atrophies
    I'll be going on my first run since early May tomorrow morning. Thoughts and prayers accepted.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

The area I run through every day has a wolf on it. It left a pack in northern Germany and has worked south. Apart from boar at dusk and dawn, this is the first time I have time I have been in the same space as an animal that has the capacity to harm me.

I guess most of you live in areas with predators all the time. But for me, this is all very exciting lol

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

The area I run through every day has a wolf on it. It left a pack in northern Germany and has worked south. Apart from boar at dusk and dawn, this is the first time I have time I have been in the same space as an animal that has the capacity to harm me.

I guess most of you live in areas with predators all the time. But for me, this is all very exciting lol
    I'll need to contact my trainer over there. The wolves clearly aren't doing their job if you're still on here posting.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I did a 10Km today with my daughter, it was her first ever 10Km, she's 14.

We did it in 51 mins, which is a descent enough pace, but several times during the run, i needed to wait on her to catch up - then the wee bugger sprinted the last 300m, leaving me for dead and beat me.

******* raging!

9. The Following 6 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

We did it in 51 mins, which is a descent enough pace, but several times during the run, i needed to wait on her to catch up - then the wee bugger sprinted the last 300m, leaving me for dead and beat me.

******* raging!
    10k's are weird because you tend to get a second breath the last mile or so. My favorite run to this day is the Broncos 7k because the last part is a run down the field end zone to end zone. I am comically bad at sprinting and it's humbling to think how those guys do that on kickoffs all the time with people flying at them. Last time I did the Broncos one some little kid flew by me down the field when I thought I was actually doing pretty good.

I've been running three 5k's a week consistently for the past 2 years (Mon, Wed, Fri) and I still hate it every time. I was told I would learn to love it. And it's just enough to keep me at an even weight and still have bad habits like drinking. Just turned 40 so maybe I will switch to power walking...

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

******* raging!

I've recently rediscovered kettlebell workouts. I did a circuit today consisting of five rounds non-stop of 1/2 mile run (~3:30 pace), 5 Russian kettlebell swings, 5 squats, 5 press with each arm, 5 row, 5 curls. Repeat 4 more times.

I'm beat. I'm training specifically to make sure no 14 yr old girl ever makes me look stupid.

13. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Distance running wrecks my left knee anymore. I have to get my cardio from other stuff. I might try again sometime but for now running seems a meadow sealed in constantina wire.

My two favorite running memories are from junior high and from an AF fitness test in '06. The first one was an 800m regional track championship. I never practiced the 800m, just showed up during meets and ran. Hateful distance. My best result was a 2:45 or so up to that point. But this day my competitive side was engaged, so I just took the lead and never let anyone in front of me. This other kid kept trying to pass, but each time I'd just run faster so that he couldn't. During the final 100m, he made a strong push to overtake me, but I found hidden reserves and just sprinted for all I was worth, beating him by several strides after he gave up trying to beat me. I beat my personal best by almost 30 seconds.

The AF fitness test in '06 there was another captain who was a cocky douche. He was something of a runner. I remember at one point I was giving the closing brief to the squadron and gave kudos to the new squad comm for his first skydive from altitude and this other captain was mocking me with a blowjob pantomime, complete with the tongue pushing out the cheek lol. He had a point, but it got my goat.

Anyway, I was getting into running a bit, had some goals and whatnot. I was training for distance, running every day according to a plan. The fitness test race wasn't the ultimate goal, but I was in fairly good running shape by that point. The distance was 1.5 miles. This time it wasn't a neck and neck affair, I think he set out on a too-fast pace and I had caught him at the half-way turnaround and just pushed the intensity the rest of the way in. Ended up with an 8:40, and I'm not sure what that other joker got. All I know is that I beat his ass, and he always took his running as a point of pride and gave you the impression he thought he was better. Very satisfying little run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Distance running wrecks my left knee anymore. I have to get my cardio from other stuff. I might try again sometime but for now running seems a meadow sealed in constantina wire.

My two favorite running memories are from junior high and from an AF fitness test in '06. The first one was an 800m regional track championship. I never practiced the 800m, just showed up during meets and ran. Hateful distance. My best result was a 2:45 or so up to that point. But this day my competitive side was engaged, so I just took the lead and never let anyone in front of me. This other kid kept trying to pass, but each time I'd just run faster so that he couldn't. During the final 100m, he made a strong push to overtake me, but I found hidden reserves and just sprinted for all I was worth, beating him by several strides after he gave up trying to beat me. I beat my personal best by almost 30 seconds.

The AF fitness test in '06 there was another captain who was a cocky douche. He was something of a runner. I remember at one point I was giving the closing brief to the squadron and gave kudos to the new squad comm for his first skydive from altitude and this other captain was mocking me with a blowjob pantomime, complete with the tongue pushing out the cheek lol. He had a point, but it got my goat.

Anyway, I was getting into running a bit, had some goals and whatnot. I was training for distance, running every day according to a plan. The fitness test race wasn't the ultimate goal, but I was in fairly good running shape by that point. The distance was 1.5 miles. This time it wasn't a neck and neck affair, I think he set out on a too-fast pace and I had caught him at the half-way turnaround and just pushed the intensity the rest of the way in. Ended up with an 8:40, and I'm not sure what that other joker got. All I know is that I beat his ass, and he always took his running as a point of pride and gave you the impression he thought he was better. Very satisfying little run.
    Is "constantina" wire something the Air Force uses?

Ground side uses concertina wire to channel movements and control terrain.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Is "constantina" wire something the Air Force uses?

Ground side uses concertina wire to channel movements and control terrain.

Davii just used piano wire on my post!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

I registered for my first 5k. It's Saturday morning. I haven't been out for a jog in a while. I am not ready.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I registered for my first 5k. It's Saturday morning. I haven't been out for a jog in a while. I am not ready.
    Walk as much as you need to. No shame. Just go do it.

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    Walk as much as you need to. No shame. Just go do it.
    I'll definitely try to remember that. Wondering if it's worth going for a 3 mile jog tomorrow to see where I'm at. Or is that too close to Saturday? I've been riding my bicycle about every other day. I have been counting my calories. I'm down to 207 from 235. I'm hoping that helps.

24. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I'll definitely try to remember that. Wondering if it's worth going for a 3 mile jog tomorrow to see where I'm at. Or is that too close to Saturday? I've been riding my bicycle about every other day. I have been counting my calories. I'm down to 207 from 235. I'm hoping that helps.
    Good work man. So, knowing "where you're at" changes nothing. If you want to go run, by all means, but you are where you are.

How are your knees? Mine take a couple days to heal before I run again. No sense in making yourself sore.

I would stick to your bike and maybe go walk tomorrow.

Make sure to warm up before the run, not so much stretching but a dynamic active warmup.

Like this:

Do it Saturday morning shortly before you run. Make sure to drink enough Friday night that when you go to bed your piss is clear, and have a good healthy dinner Friday as well. Carbs are good, protein is good, just make sure you're not eating a tiny little low cal meal as you'll run out of energy at mile 1.

You got this man. Just do YOUR pace, nobody elses.

26. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

First five km?

Run it at a pace you feel like you could hold a conversion with someone if they were running along side you.

The only person you are racing is yourself..... So be kind to yourself.

Enjoying it will be better for you than thrashing yourself

Plus absolutely everything davii just said!

28. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information