Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22 30 31 32 33 34 42 ... LastLast

Thread: The Running Thread

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    About to change over and head out for, as Dave would say, a wee 3 miler on the levee. I'm currently training for Battle Races New Orleans that will happen next month and have been doing a ton of the Ninja Warrior gym training for obstacles. The runs between the obstacles are all under a mile so I'm not working on my steady state cardio as much lately, more sprints and higher speed short runs.
    So I did 6 half mile intervals to make my 3 miles today. I ran each one under 3:30 with a 1:30 rest in between. It took me the first two find the pace, the first one was 2:53, the second was 3:15, and I hit right on 3:30 for the last four. That was an ass kicker. I finished up with 50 pullups with 20 pushups every time I had to drop off the bar, so do as many pullups as you can and then do 20 pushups, jump back on the bar and do more pullups, etc until you have reached 50 total pullups.

Good times.

2. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Sounds like the Spartan and Tough Mudder I did. I was so worried about training for the running portions but there were so many obstacles that you would run a quarter of a mile then wait in line for 5-10 minutes. Good conditioning training though.
    Exactly why I'm training as I am. I know I need to be able to destroy people for 1/2 mile at a time and then get my ass over, around, through whatever obstacle they put in my way.

4. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    So I did 6 half mile intervals to make my 3 miles today. I ran each one under 3:30 with a 1:30 rest in between. It took me the first two find the pace, the first one was 2:53, the second was 3:15, and I hit right on 3:30 for the last four. That was an ass kicker. I finished up with 50 pullups with 20 pushups every time I had to drop off the bar, so do as many pullups as you can and then do 20 pushups, jump back on the bar and do more pullups, etc until you have reached 50 total pullups.

Good times.
    lol - that upper body routine sounds horrific!!!

I have the upper body strength of a malnourished and disabled gnat

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post

Eat meat.

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Eat meat.
    are you coming on to me

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I would literally die if I tried that.

11. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

are you coming on to me
    Always.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Always.
    great stuff!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    So I've been training for a 5k recently, did the couch to 5k program because I was in no running shape at all when I decided to start. Started the program about 2 months ago and finally ran my first 5K ever this week.

I ran one on Monday, and in a move of utter genius, decided to run when it was like 100 degrees outside. Needless to say that didn't go to well, but I did finish it in a time of about 37:30. On Wednesday I ran another one and decided to wait until the sun went down which vastly improved my time, about 31:50. My goal is to get it under 30 soon. And also to find a 5k to sign up for and run.
    Update on my progress since this post. The 5k mentioned in this post that in ran in 31:50 was run 10 days ago. I ran my first one today since then. 3 days after that 5k, I ran a mile just to see how fast I could do it. My time there was 8:41. 3 days later, I attempted to run another 5k, but I was having some serious breathing issues right at the beginning of the run (likely allergies/sinuses, I'm blocked up by those half the time), so I could only make it a mile, and that took over 11 minutes. After that I took 4 days off to fully recover from all of that. This morning I ran another 5k, and I was very pleased with it. Shaved 1:01 off of my time to run it in 30:49. My mile pace improved from 10:17 to 9:57.

My mile splits got better as well.

Run 1:
    Mile 1 - 9:33
    Mile 2 - 10:02
    Mile 3 - 11:07
    Mile 3.1 - 11:18

Run 2:
    Mile 1 - 9:38 (actually slower than last time)
    Mile 2 - 9:50
    Mile 3 - 10:15
    Mile 3.1 - 11:06

So my pace on the first two miles was pretty similar in both runs, but Mile 3 was where I really improved. That whole minute I cut off my time pretty much all came in that last mile. It's good to see that my stamina is increasing a bit, especially after only having run a total of 2 miles in the 10 days prior.

I'll probably do another speed run next then try to get another 5k in some time in the next week.

15. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Keep at it, Wave. Those are decent times.

17. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Update on my progress since this post. The 5k mentioned in this post that in ran in 31:50 was run 10 days ago. I ran my first one today since then. 3 days after that 5k, I ran a mile just to see how fast I could do it. My time there was 8:41. 3 days later, I attempted to run another 5k, but I was having some serious breathing issues right at the beginning of the run (likely allergies/sinuses, I'm blocked up by those half the time), so I could only make it a mile, and that took over 11 minutes. After that I took 4 days off to fully recover from all of that. This morning I ran another 5k, and I was very pleased with it. Shaved 1:01 off of my time to run it in 30:49. My mile pace improved from 10:17 to 9:57.

Run 1:

Run 2:

So my pace on the first two miles was pretty similar in both runs, but Mile 3 was where I really improved. That whole minute I cut off my time pretty much all came in that last mile. It's good to see that my stamina is increasing a bit, especially after only having run a total of 2 miles in the 10 days prior.

I'll probably do another speed run next then try to get another 5k in some time in the next week.
    Try a breathe right strip before your next run. If you have a race and are plugged up Afrin spray works wonders but don't overuse, that shit will burn your sinuses up over time.

19. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Run 1:

Run 2:

Update. Almost 2 weeks later I finally run another 5k. I've done a couple of shorter runs in the meantime but finally got back to the longer run today. And it was a tough one. I really, really tried to hit it in under 30 today, and I was on pace to as far as 2.5 miles into it, but I hit a wall on that last mile and just couldn't do it anymore. My final time was 30:59, so only 10 seconds slower than my last one.

Here were my splits:

Mile 1: 8:40
    Mile 2: 10:08
    Mile 3: 11:06
    Mile 3.1: 9:35

I started at a pretty blistering pace compared to my last few runs, but I think my last two miles suffered as a result. I was trying to pace myself a bit more than that, but it's hard to balance how hard to push myself early or how much to let back and still run a good time. As you'll notice though, I found something extra in me for that last tenth of a mile. Reason being that I was in danger of going over 31 minutes, and I was determined to finish under. So I used every last ounce I had and sprinted that last little bit to get it under 31, and I just did by 1 second.

I don't think I've ever been as tired/sweaty after a run as I was this one. I really gave it everything I had. A bit disappointed that my time dipped a little, but like I said, it had been 2 weeks since I'd run one.

21. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Carrying a calf strain I can't shift.

No training in over three weeks and I have my first ultra marathon in 6 weeks time......... That is not going to go well.

I hate getting old

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Maybe it's because I just woke up but I'm confused by Wave's fourth time. It took 9 minutes to do 0.1 miles?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Maybe it's because I just woke up but I'm confused by Wave's fourth time. It took 9 minutes to do 0.1 miles?
    That's average pace per mile.

26. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information