Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mad Max: Fury Road

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Mad Max: Fury Road

So i wanted to create this thread because i wanted to get some opinions and insight from some of you who have seen this flick. I wont get to see it until at least next week or the next.

While the reviews and opinions about the movie have been very good and very positive i have also been hearing certain opinions (some that i am wondering about) about Mad Max's role in the film and the emphasis on feminism. I read an article a few days back where some men's groups are having a hissy fit about the lack of emphasis on Max and more on Theron's character. And today the wife and i were listening to a regular broadcast show that we normally do with the Big O and Duke's show where they at times talk about movies they have seen recently. One of Duke's complaints is what im kind of worried about with Max just not being the star that he was in the first 3 films.

Now, as most know i am a big supporter of the HeForShe campaign and support gender equality/empowerment etc. But the one gripe i can get behind (and why i wondered how this movie stacks up against Mad Max or The Road Warrior) is apparently Max takes a back seat in this film (pun intended). So even though the original director filmed this i wonder why he didnt just call it by a different name as it does come across a little misleading if Max is indeed not a focal point of the movie.

So anyway, what are your guys/gals take on this?

Do you think that it is misleading to have Mad Max in the title or feel that it is too feminism driven?

I guess the reason why i ask is there are certain movies or franchises that i have grown attached too from my youth and Max was a great character that i hope isnt cheapened in this flick.

I havent seen it yet either but looks like the best movie to go see right now. I was a big fan of the originals. Man the 80s really made some great movies, just an all around great decade!

But I plan on seeing it in the next few days. Hardin looks like he will do the role justice. Kinda was hoping for Mel to do a cameo.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

3. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

Take it from me, North, a Mad Max fan from waaay back.
    Once you get 2 minutes into the movie it is such a thing of insane beauty that you won't care.
    I saw it 2 nights ago and not once did I think about who was getting screen time.
    It's just a pure, insane thrill ride of a movie made better by the fact that 80% of the madness onscreen is real...not CGI.
    Trust me. You're going to love it.
    "Chickens are dope..." - Von Miller

5. The Following 5 Users High Fived EastCoastBronco For This Post:

Cant wait! Definitely not watching this one on showbox. Lol

Adopted Bronco:
    Sammy Winder

It's definitely a must for the big screen.
    "Chickens are dope..." - Von Miller

8. The Following User High Fived EastCoastBronco For This Post:

I'm really looking forward to it. The reviews have been awesome, and Thomas Hardy is one of my favorite actors.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Max is one of the main characters and has a significant role. Even if he didn't, it was a badass movie which depicted the Mad Max universe. Either way, the complaints are illegitimate and the mra groups can shut it.

11. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I'm really looking forward to it. The reviews have been awesome, and Thomas Hardy is one of my favorite actors.
    He was great in Bronson.

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    He was great in Bronson.
    I haven't seen that one, but he was great in Warrior and Outlaws (?). He was so good as Bane he overshadowed Batman

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    He was great in Bronson.
    I haven't seen that one, but he was great in Warrior and Outlaws (?). He was so good as Bane he overshadowed Batman
    Yeah and Christian Bale was a damn good Batman. He's definitely one of my fav actors and he picks good roles. In fact I think the good ones are just coming to him now.

15. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

If people are being triggered by this movie either for or against feminism they are already going to be defensive about the issue either way. I'm sure those same groups feel that Lucy is too strong of a character because she keeps moving the football away from Charlie Brown and emasculating him.

The bottom line is that this movie is Mad Max through and through. Charlize Theron's character Furiosa is treated as an equal, not a damsel in distress and I loved that. She seemed to be the hottest woman on screen despite a buzzcut, bionic arm, and being next to a harem of women 20 years younger than her in many scenes.

Max himself is there from the first frame until the end. All of his dialogue can fit on a napkin but what he does throughout the film shows you just how base his instincts have become and he plays a vital role every step of the way. This Max is haunted, cursed, and ripe for redemption. My favorite scene has him going back to finish off some of the pursuers after a car chase through a mud flat. He leaves and comes back covered in blood carrying new ammo clips and gear looking like he's been to hell and back. We don't see what happens, but we do get this wonderful exchange of dialogue that ends with Furiosa looking at Max as he walks by simply stating, "That's not his blood..."

There are three things you need to enjoy this movie: a pulse, some popcorn, and a willingness to have your ass kicked for 2 hours and love every minute of it. I am going back next week to see it at the Alamo just to put my money where my mouth is. We need more movies like this and less whiney bitches thinking an ass kicking female threatens their sense of self-manliness. I'll be damned if I ever let a movie critic, focus group, or "Men's" Group keep me from seeing a movie and forming my own opinion.

And I really don't know where everyone gets the idea that Max is not the driving force of this movie. Just like before he reluctantly saves everyone's ass because he is the only one who can. He finds his humanity despite having lost his mind and that is what makes him so cool.

/RANT
    Last edited by MasterShake; 05-22-2015 at 07:52 AM.

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    If people are being triggered by this movie either for or against feminism they are already going to be defensive about the issue either way. I'm sure those same groups feel that Lucy is too strong of a character because she keeps moving the football away from Charlie Brown and emasculating him.

The bottom line is that this movie is Mad Max through and through. Charlize Theron's character Furiosa is treated as an equal, not a damsel in distress and I loved that. She seemed to be the hottest woman on screen despite a buzzcut, bionic arm, and being next to a harem of women 20 years younger than her in many scenes.

Max himself is there from the first frame until the end. All of his dialogue can fit on a napkin but what he does throughout the film shows you just how base his instincts have become and he plays a vital role every step of the way. This Max is haunted, cursed, and ripe for redemption. My favorite scene has him going back to finish off some of the pursuers after a car chase through a mud flat. He leaves and comes back covered in blood carrying new ammo clips and gear looking like he's been to hell and back. We don't see what happens, but we do get this wonderful exchange of dialogue that ends with Furiosa looking at Max as he walks by simply stating, "That's not his blood..."

There are three things you need to enjoy this movie: a pulse, some popcorn, and a willingness to have your ass kicked for 2 hours and love every minute of it. I am going back next week to see it at the Alamo just to put my money where my mouth is. We need more movies like this and less whiney bitches thinking an ass kicking female threatens their sense of self-manliness. I'll be damned if I ever let a movie critic, focus group, or "Men's" Group keep me from seeing a movie and forming my own opinion.

And I really don't know where everyone gets the idea that Max is not the driving force of this movie. Just like before he reluctantly saves everyone's ass because he is the only one who can. He finds his humanity despite having lost his mind and that is what makes him so cool.

/RANT
    Damn, you go girl.

I absolutely agree Shake. From the opening scene to the final scene this movie is badass and Max is absolutely the focus.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post

/RANT
    Thanks Shaker. You were one of the people i was waiting to hear from and you didnt disappoint. \m/

21. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Mad Max: Fury Road

9/10

AMAZING! Tim Hardy and Charlize Theron played perfect characters in this film and they have great chemistry together.

Go see it with 3D and D-Box! Awesome experience! Definitely worth watching!!!!

Did you know that Hugh Keays-Byrne played a major villain "Toecutter" in 1979's Mad Max with Mel Gibson. He played other major villain in new Mad Max movie. "Immortan Joe." Same guy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mad_max_fury_road_immortan_joe-600x500.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	7233

23. The Following 4 Users High Fived Magnificent Seven For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

anyone who complains about this flick being "too feminist" is a gigantic, whiny poosy who should be seriously ashamed of themself. . .
    Last edited by dogfish; 05-25-2015 at 06:53 PM.

25. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information