Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Broncos DE Antonio Smith being investigated for Child Abuse

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    In our system Smith is a DE and Ray is an OLB.
    I still wouldn't be surprised him put a hand in the dirt on some of obvious passing downs.
    Same here and I think some guys are naive if they think Wade won't try that with Ray. We have to find ways to get him on the field. He played DE in college and can play OLB as well, very versatile. So look for when Wade mixes it up a bit you're going to see different looks from Ray to confuse offenses.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Same here and I think some guys are naive if they think Wade won't try that with Ray. We have to find ways to get him on the field. He played DE in college and can play OLB as well, very versatile. So look for when Wade mixes it up a bit you're going to see different looks from Ray to confuse offenses.
    I agree, but that wasn't necessarily what I was trying to say

There is a guy that reads MHR who is a career prosecutor and he posted a really good article sharing the process that is currently happening in the investigation and some really thoughtful perspective on how we fans should look at this whole thing. Well worth the time to read.

After reading MHR for roughly eight years, I felt compelled to post for the first time, believing I could offer some insight into the horrible complexity of the Antonio Smith investigation. Bottom line, my heart breaks when I read about allegations like these, knowing that the criminal investigation and possible prosecution will irreparably affect at least the lives of the suspect, the accuser and both of their families. Creating spectacle or engaging in speculation around a case such as this only compounds the injury to the innocent parties, whoever he or she might be, and both of the families. I encourage you to hope for a just outcome and peace for the families.

I have been reading MHR since around 2007. I never posted because the football knowledge of most of the community far surpasses my own. I learned immensely from contributors like hoosierteacher. I am consistently impressed by McGeorge. People may not agree with him at the time, but more often than not he is proven correct in the long run. I have been awed by the collective knowledge on this site, enough so that I have felt my contribution would be little more than clutter. Criminal allegations are, however, something about which I am most knowledgable.

Before moving abroad recently to allow my spouse to work as an attorney in another country, I was a career prosecutor. Over the years I worked my way into roles in which I vertically prosecuted cases. Rather than waiting for detectives to present the results of their investigations, I advised them from the outset, helping them to build stronger cases.

Prosecuting crime is immensely difficult under the best of circumstances, and it is further complicated if (1) it involves acquaintances, (2) the victim is a child, or (3) the defendant is a celebrity. From the little that I know of the case, it appears either two or three of the complicating factors are present.

The American criminal justice system is far from perfect. The falsely accused are sometimes jailed, and the guilty go free. The core of the system, however, is based on an assumption of imperfection. We try very hard to erect barriers to prevent the imprisonment of the innocent.

the rest is here

Last edited by Spiritguy; 05-22-2015 at 07:29 PM.

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived Spiritguy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I agree, but that wasn't necessarily what I was trying to say

Don't worry Al. I'm an expert so just nod your head in agreement.

6. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritguy View Post
    There is a guy that reads MHR who is a career prosecutor and he posted a really good article sharing the process that is currently happening in the investigation and some really thoughtful perspective on how we fans should look at this whole thing. Well worth the time to read.
    Thanks for sharing.

8. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Don't worry Al. I'm an expert so just nod your head in agreement.
    All I'm trying to say is, "I don't want Ware lined up in the 3 or 4 tech spot, damnit."

10. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Texas District Attorney updates Antonio Smith case

KUSA—A Texas District Attorney is asking for patience during his ongoing investigation of an alleged child abuse complaint filed against Denver Bronco defensive end Antonio Smith.

Fort Bend County D.A. John Healey "acknowledges an ongoing investigation involving Antonio Smith," his office said in a statement released Friday. "The Fort Bend County District Attorney's Office is working with the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office to further that investigation. No charges have been filed and the complaint is at this point an allegation only."

On Thursday, the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office said the complaint against Smith was filed last November and was "sexual in nature." The Sheriff's Office added it had completed its investigation and passed on its findings to Healey's office in February.
    rest - http://www.9news.com/story/sports/20...exas/27784391/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I say cut him.

The way I look at it, would Denver have signed Smith if they had known about this investigation? Doubt it, so what's the point in waiting?
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

13. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos Briefs: Antonio Smith may sit out practice this week

The Broncos face a decision on whether defensive tackle Antonio Smith should practice this week when they return to work Wednesday. Smith is under investigation for alleged child abuse in Texas.

No charges have been filed, despite Fort Bend County District Attorney John Healey possessing the findings from the sheriff's office since February. It is Healey's choice whether to convene a grand jury to hear the evidence or dismiss the case.

The Broncos said they were unaware of the investigation before they signed Smith, 33, to a one-year, $2 million contract in April. The Broncos continue to monitor the situation and could provide Smith with an excused absence this week with the situation pending.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...t-out-practice

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Innocent until proven guilty but this looks bad. If the Broncos outright cut him now do they take a cap hit?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Innocent until proven guilty but this looks bad. If the Broncos outright cut him now do they take a cap hit?
    Yes and no, they signed him to a one year/$2 MM deal with a $500.000 signing bonus. If I'm not mistaken the signing bonus would be dead money but would save the rest in cap space.

Btw, they don't have to worry about the innocent until proven guilty part, as a matter of fact I'd hope they just cut bait and revisit the situation if he's somehow exonerated. I don't see how he could blame the team considering he never told them about the situation to begin with. And if he holds a grudge who gives a shit? Whatevs Ninja.
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 05-26-2015 at 12:31 AM.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I wonder if Ben Garland can play DE in a 3-4.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

18. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Probably. And safety.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    What about bringing back champ Bailey

21. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

This is why athletes should just wear body cams 24/7

23. The Following 3 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information