Thread: Nick Saban already criticizing playoff system.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Nick Saban already criticizing playoff system.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-foo...ort_code=2zrbw

Fans loved it, the committee can't stop patting each other on the back, it drove bowl payments past half a billion dollars (almost $200 million more than during the final season of the BCS) -- good times had by all.
    Still,
    Alabama coach Nick Saban has a gripe. No, it's not that the Tide didn't win the playoff.
    Considering the NCAA added three new bowls for the 2015-16 season, raising the total to 42, it doesn't seem like we'll ever reach a place where college football has zero bowls outside of the playoff system. They make too much money for too many people.
    One hope: As the playoff expands to include more teams in the future -- and that will happen -- the dominant national conversation will also expand and more teams will be relevant in the playoff discussion.

Is the second part what Saban said?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

No, that was added in the article.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

So the thread is titled "Nick Saban already criticizing playoff system" and nothing you quoted is the quote from Saban criticizing the playoff system. Thread fail!

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Whats up with the lime green? I have the mobile app and the background it white. Makes it hard to read.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

7. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

In brief, Saban thinks the playoff removed almost all interest in the other non-playoff bowls. I'm not sure I buy that. There were some compelling bowls and the NCAA added three more for next season.

I'm ready to expand to eight.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

9. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I'm willing to bet that Saban is 100 percent wrong.

Television ratings for all New Years Day games were astronomical, not just the semifinal games.

And three of the last four years before that viewership declined.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2..._tv_viewe.html
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Making a bowl may have been a lot more special back when Saban was a player, & only the elite teams were invited, but we now have so many that 7-6 teams are being invited. If you want them to be as specially as Saban claims they are, you need to cut the bowl games down to no more than a dozen, which is about 1/4 the number that are slated for this year according to the OP article.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

13. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    In brief, Saban thinks the playoff removed almost all interest in the other non-playoff bowls. I'm not sure I buy that. There were some compelling bowls and the NCAA added three more for next season.

I'm ready to expand to eight.
    God forbid someone actually read the link. Thank you Hoof.

15. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    Making a bowl may have been a lot more special back when Saban was a player, & only the elite teams were invited, but we now have so many that 7-6 teams are being invited. If you want them to be as specially as Saban claims they are, you need to cut the bowl games down to no more than a dozen, which is about 1/4 the number that are slated for this year according to the OP article.
    Yea, i kind of feel there are too many as it is. Cutting down some of the bowl games would probably drive the ratings up more.

17. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Clearly only the football-starved (or draft-obsessed) are going to sit there and watch a bowl between the MAC runner-up and the third-best team in the WAC, for example. But there some good major college bowl games that were not part of the playoff and were still enjoyable as a fan to watch.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

I think it's too early to tell. I lean towards thinking that Saban is incorrect, however, because I think the country really loves playoff football of any kind.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information