Thread: Anyone ever done an Obstacle Course Race?

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Default Anyone ever done an Obstacle Course Race?

I've been trying to get in better shape with diet and exercise over the past 2 years. I ended up losing 30lbs by running and switching to a (mostly) plant based diet so I've been feeling pretty good about my health. That all changed yesterday when I did my first Spartan Military Sprint at Fort Carson in Colorado Springs. That thing kicked my ass and I'm not even ashamed to admit it. I had a blast though, and was just wondering if anyone else had ever done a Spartan, Tough Mudder, or anything similar here and what their experiences were?

My friend who suckered me into it had me train up in the foothills for trail runs at places like Red Rocks and thank God he did because that whole damn course was one big hill. There were some things I was good at like the rope climb, cargo nets, and barbwire "crawl" (which I just rolled under) and I even did pretty good at the Atlas stone event. The whole course was just under 6 miles with about 22 obstacles and they ranged from "not too bad" to "Satan ripping your heart out through your kneecaps".

The ******** designed the course beautifully meaning that if you sucked at one obstacle you could be damned sure the next one played up your weakness even more. For example after the rope climb when your grip strength was already gone the next thing was a sand bag pulley that you had to raise all the way up and THEN it was time for monkey bars. The one that really got me was the sand bag and rock bucket carries up and around hills. My legs were fine during these things but there was just no elegant way to carry a bucket of rocks with no handle up a hill. And if you failed an obstacle, you had to do 30 burpees mandatory. I didn't really know what a burpee or hell was until I had to do about 90 of those ******s over the course of the race.

Long story short I way underestimated how hard this thing would be. I figured 5k obstacle course? Psssh. Hour tops. I think I finished in about 2 hours or so, we get the official times soon. He is already asking me if I want to do another one in a few months which is 10 miles with 35 obstacles and I am already looking for excuses to get out of it! I'm mostly kidding, but I'll be damned if that thing wasn't one of the hardest things I've ever done. Anyone else have experiences with these races?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

My life is an obstacle course. Lol. I've done one or a trillion. Best workouts ever. I can give you some good all around workouts that'll help get you in shape for your next one if you'd like.

4. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    My life is an obstacle course. Lol. I've done one or a trillion. Best workouts ever. I can give you some good all around workouts that'll help get you in shape for your next one if you'd like.
    I'll get back to you after my shoulder pops back in place

6. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Burpees.... we use them as a torture device.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Default Anyone ever done an Obstacle Course Race?

Yeah those burpees sucked. I did obstacles I never thought I would to avoid them. Good motivation for sure!

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

We add a push up into every down part of the burpee and call them b@stardoes

Even the word gives me shivers, lol

Good for you though mate. I have not done one in a few years, but I sure can empathise with how you feel!

11. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Dumb civilian here, what's a "burpee?"
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    Lol,

You start in the push up position, shoot both your legs/knees up to your chest.

Then jump up into a star jump

Back down and shoot your legs back out

Do a push up and repeat - a lot!

The idea is to do it as one fluid movement, not by breaking it down into individual movement.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    Lol,

You start in the push up position, shoot both your legs/knees up to your chest.

Then jump up into a star jump

Back down and shoot your legs back out

Do a push up and repeat - a lot!

The idea is to do it as one fluid movement, not by breaking it down into individual movement.
    Too complicated, I'll stick with good old-fashion push-ups.
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    This hottie does a good job of showing them broken down. It should be done as a fluid motion but I wouldn't stop her.

16. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

This hottie does a good job of showing them broken down. It should be done as a fluid motion but I wouldn't stop her.

That was one thing I did like about the race. Lots of girls like that running around and being the gentleman that I am I was able to "help" them over some walls and other obstacles.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Boys football teams and girls volleyball teams think burpees are the worst things ever invented. One thing most young athletes agree upon.

20. The Following 4 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information