Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Next Up - The Fat Lady

Default Next Up - The Fat Lady

There's an old adage in sports that says, "It's never over until the fat lady sings."

Well, thanks to the pathetic display of ineptitude displayed by the Broncos against the "cellar-dweller" Raiders this afternoon, she's on stage and clearing her throat.

After a stretch of three weeks where it looked like the Broncos were finally getting some of their act together, the Broncos looked more like the team that went 3-5 in the first 8 weeks, than the team we've been seeing the past few games.

An offense that was really starting to click coughed up the ball 4 times.

An offense that was averaging slightly more than 30 points a game the past 3 weeks, managed to score only 20.

An offense with one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL ran for only 86 yards against the worst defense in the NFL against the run (the Raiders were ranked 32nd going into today's game).

A defense that looked like it was finally learning how to stop the run, gave up 146 yards to the Raiders 3rd string RB.

A defense that had held opponents to an average of around 20 points per game the past three weeks, gave up 34 points to a Raiders team that was ranked 25th in total scoring.

And last, but not least, after today, a team that was in a tie for 1st place in one of the weakest division in the NFL this season, finds itself 2 games out of 1st place with only 4 games left to play.

This week's four downs...

The Good Stuff (there isn't much)

1st - 3rd down efficiency. After only converting 1 out of 12 third downs last week, the Broncos converted 7 of 15 (46%)

2nd - Red Zone and Goal-to-go. The Broncos were 2/4 in the Red Zone and 2/2 in goal-to-go. Another encouraging stat is that the 2 TDs were rushing TDs.

3rd - Brandon Stokely. This guy is proving to be the greatest free agent acquisition we've seen at Dove Valley in several years. He had 102 yards receiving on just THREE catches. He's a keeper.

4th - DJ Williams. The guy had 13 solo tackles and 3 assists. Runner-up for the defense would be Nate Webster who had 9 solo tackles and 1 assist. Together, they accounted for nearly 42% of the defense's total.

The Bad Stuff

1st - Run defense. A weakness that appeared to be partially fixed showed up again with a vengeance. I mean really, other than being the son of "Huggy Bear" from the old Starsky and Hutch TV show, this guy is nothing but a 3rd string running back. Still, this "nobody" ran rough-shod over the Broncos defense like he's been doing it his whole life.

2nd - Turnovers. I already mentioned the total above. 3 came from Jay Cutler, who had what I would consider the worst game of his short career, giving up 2 INTs and a fumble on a botched handoff.

The fourth one came courtesy of the Broncos soon-to-be suspended running back.

3rd - Pass defense. The line score will show that the Broncos only surrendered about 200 yards, but they also gave up 3 touchdown passes to an Arizona Cardinals cast off (Josh McCown). I don't know about you, but I thought "shut down" corner meant that they shut down the opposing team, not the other way around.

And I'm sorry, but Foxworth may be a very nice guy with a great college education, but he's a HUGE liability in our nickel coverage. He was burned worse than my breakfast on several plays, one being a TD.

4th - Red Zone defense. The weaknesses above resulted in a defense that allowed the Raiders (remember, the 25th ranked scoring defense) to go 4/5 in the Red Zone. Pathetic doesn't come close to describing that.

Mathematically, the Broncos are still alive. Of course, the Chargers will have to stumble over the last four games. With Tennessee and Oakland on the road and Detroit and Denver to play at home, the chances of that happening don't appear too likely.

Add to that, the Broncos face KC, Houston (road), SD (road) and Minn. Even if they can run the table, that would still require SD to lose one of their games against Tennessee, Detroit or Oakland.

Like I said......

Next up, the Fat Lady.

BMM
    Last edited by Broncos Mtnman; 12-03-2007 at 12:13 AM.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

celerbrating a new lease on life. And, loving it.

is such negativity really such a good thing???
    decisions have been made and change is a comin'.

Saddle is back!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij1H1j2_Nlw

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by saddletramp View Post
    is such negativity really such a good thing???
    This is where we post articles about the team (after going through WookieeBronco).
    We present our thoughts here, positive or negative. In Mtnman's case, it is usually
    a realistic assessment, which cannot be all positive, of course.

But your intentions are certainly appreciated!

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Miller

Well BMM my brother..... you have said it all.Great post!!

I have said all day long:

We beat the teams we should lose against and we look great doing it, then the teams we lose to are the teams we should have man handled or at least won by a comfortable margin.

By the way I am sure glad we did not go to Oakland this year!!!!!

Another great assessment Mtn Man

Even though I did not see the game, it seems like the sloppy play is what did us in. I did see Cutlers last pick and it was such a bad decision

oh well. Hope to build some confidence the last 4 games for him.

we shall see. I think 8-8 might even be a stetch now.

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    This is where we post articles about the team (after going through WookieeBronco).
    We present our thoughts here, positive or negative. In Mtnman's case, it is usually

-----
    Actually no article has to go by me unless it's my own work.

If your on the articles team you can post articles at will.

A good article Mtnman.

I think the fat lady has sung. I think the season is simply over, San Diego are on a two game winning streak and I don't think they will fail now they are in rythm.

As I have said in my other thread, I think we should just flunk the season and get a high draft pick. Even if we played our best we would only win two more games AT THE MOST.

Together, they accounted for nearly 42% of the defense's total.
    Interesting stat. I also agree about Foxworth, I also don't think Foxworth could tackle a little girl.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by TheWookieeBronco View Post
    Actually no article has to go by me unless it's my own work.

If your on the articles team you can post articles at will.
    Well, that's what I meant. They have to go to you to get on the articles team, right?

-----
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Good article, Mntman.

I would have included undiciplined penalties to the list of bad...perhaps add a REALLY BAD section.

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post

-----

intentions???

what intentions????

I was talking about the negativity of the article.
    Last edited by saddletramp; 12-03-2007 at 09:51 PM.

Saddle is back!!!

intentions???

what intentions????

I was talking about the negativity of the article.
    its called honesty
    this team is just not good and for someone not
    to see that is just being blinded, sorry Saddle

Mtn Man is spot on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Medford Bronco View Post
    its called honesty
    this team is just not good and for someone not
    to see that is just being blinded, sorry Saddle

Mtn Man is spot on here.
    I am blinded because I dont like to see negative articles about my favorite team???

thats the biggest line of BS I have ever heard from you Med.
    Last edited by topscribe; 12-05-2007 at 02:24 AM. Reason: inappropriate icon

Saddle is back!!!

I am blinded because I dont like to see negative articles about my favorite team???

It called honesty this team is not good, sorry I do not sugar coat bud
    I said nothing wrong and I can admit when my team is not having a great year

I have a right to my opinion

sorry I do not wear the

It does not mean I want them to suck, I hate it and and hope we win out
    but its not likely with all the problems this team has had with injury and
    turnover of personel.
    Last edited by topscribe; 12-05-2007 at 02:25 AM. Reason: edited quote

Quote Originally Posted by broncos_mtnman View Post
    There's an old adage in sports that says, "It's never over until the fat lady sings."

Well, thanks to the pathetic display of ineptitude displayed by the Broncos against the "cellar-dweller" Raiders this afternoon, she's on stage and clearing her throat.

After a stretch of three weeks where it looked like the Broncos were finally getting some of their act together, the Broncos looked more like the team that went 3-5 in the first 8 weeks, than the team we've been seeing the past few games.

An offense that was really starting to click coughed up the ball 4 times.

An offense that was averaging slightly more than 30 points a game the past 3 weeks, managed to score only 20.

An offense with one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL ran for only 86 yards against the worst defense in the NFL against the run (the Raiders were ranked 32nd going into today's game).

A defense that looked like it was finally learning how to stop the run, gave up 146 yards to the Raiders 3rd string RB.

A defense that had held opponents to an average of around 20 points per game the past three weeks, gave up 34 points to a Raiders team that was ranked 25th in total scoring.

And last, but not least, after today, a team that was in a tie for 1st place in one of the weakest division in the NFL this season, finds itself 2 games out of 1st place with only 4 games left to play.

This week's four downs...

The Good Stuff (there isn't much)

1st - 3rd down efficiency. After only converting 1 out of 12 third downs last week, the Broncos converted 7 of 15 (46%)

2nd - Red Zone and Goal-to-go. The Broncos were 2/4 in the Red Zone and 2/2 in goal-to-go. Another encouraging stat is that the 2 TDs were rushing TDs.

3rd - Brandon Stokely. This guy is proving to be the greatest free agent acquisition we've seen at Dove Valley in several years. He had 102 yards receiving on just THREE catches. He's a keeper.

4th - DJ Williams. The guy had 13 solo tackles and 3 assists. Runner-up for the defense would be Nate Webster who had 9 solo tackles and 1 assist. Together, they accounted for nearly 42% of the defense's total.

The Bad Stuff

1st - Run defense. A weakness that appeared to be partially fixed showed up again with a vengeance. I mean really, other than being the son of "Huggy Bear" from the old Starsky and Hutch TV show, this guy is nothing but a 3rd string running back. Still, this "nobody" ran rough-shod over the Broncos defense like he's been doing it his whole life.

2nd - Turnovers. I already mentioned the total above. 3 came from Jay Cutler, who had what I would consider the worst game of his short career, giving up 2 INTs and a fumble on a botched handoff.

The fourth one came courtesy of the Broncos soon-to-be suspended running back.

3rd - Pass defense. The line score will show that the Broncos only surrendered about 200 yards, but they also gave up 3 touchdown passes to an Arizona Cardinals cast off (Josh McCown). I don't know about you, but I thought "shut down" corner meant that they shut down the opposing team, not the other way around.

And I'm sorry, but Foxworth may be a very nice guy with a great college education, but he's a HUGE liability in our nickel coverage. He was burned worse than my breakfast on several plays, one being a TD.

4th - Red Zone defense. The weaknesses above resulted in a defense that allowed the Raiders (remember, the 25th ranked scoring defense) to go 4/5 in the Red Zone. Pathetic doesn't come close to describing that.

Mathematically, the Broncos are still alive. Of course, the Chargers will have to stumble over the last four games. With Tennessee and Oakland on the road and Detroit and Denver to play at home, the chances of that happening don't appear too likely.

Add to that, the Broncos face KC, Houston (road), SD (road) and Minn. Even if they can run the table, that would still require SD to lose one of their games against Tennessee, Detroit or Oakland.

Like I said......

Next up, the Fat Lady.

BMM

Great summation of the game. I wished I could have seen it and I doubt if NFL network is going to show it this weak as one of the few games of the weak..

to you for the info..

NOW THAT SAID anyone out there that could send me a coy of the game on DVD or VHS I'd be glad to reimburse you for the time and postage..

Have not been looking at my posts much this year huh?
    Last edited by topscribe; 12-05-2007 at 02:27 AM. Reason: edited quote

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information