Leading up to this year’s draft, there’s a consensus that Amari Cooper and Kevin White are the top two receivers in the class, in a tier by themselves. I agree that both of them are in a top tier. Cooper and White are both very good prospects. But I’d add a third receiver to that tier: UCF’s Breshad Perriman. I think Cooper is the top receiver prospect this year. But if you asked me who is No. 2 among White and Perriman, that’s a tougher question. I really like Perriman. I heard an interesting comparison on Perriman from a scout the other day: Denver Broncos receiver Demaryius Thomas. I can see that. Perriman is a big powerful, explosive, fast guy. Although he and White are about the same size, on film Perriman looks like the bigger guy. I could see ranking Perriman even with or ahead of White, although I’m in the minority on that. Since I think there are three receivers in the top tier and not just two, let’s take a look at what all three do well. Amari Cooper, Alabama I like Cooper and think he’s the top receiver in this draft. But let’s put it this way – if Sammy Watkins, Odell Beckham and Cooper were in the same draft, where would Cooper go? I’d say he’d be the third one taken, and I think most people would agree. Cooper is the s ame size as Sammy Watkins coming out of Clemson but not as naturally explosive. But that doesn’t mean Cooper isn’t a very good prospect. Quickness and precision are the foundations of his game. As a result he can be very effective in all three areas of route running: short, intermediate and deep. He has natural quickness and fluidity as a route runner, compact movement in and out of breaks, and little wasted motion. Route quickness is a definite strength of Cooper’s game. He has a deceptive vertical burst, and I believe he will be able to get on top of NFL corners with his understanding of route running and a deceptive second gear. An 80-yard TD touchdown against Tennessee on the first play of the game showed Cooper’s outstanding short area burst and long speed.

More...