Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bradley Roby open to seeing time at free safety

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Bradley Roby open to seeing time at free safety

At the league meetings March 24, Head Coach Gary Kubiak floated the notion of using cornerback Bradley Roby at safety in some situations to get him on the field more often.

The 2014 first-round pick still sees himself as a cornerback first. That's understandable, given how well he played the position as a rookie last year. But he is receptive to the idea.

"I would definitely like to play cornerback a majority of the time, but they talked to me about possibly moving to free safety at certain times in the game, and in certain packages," Roby said. "I'm open to it."

A dual role seems like a perfect match for Roby and his skill set. He first distinguished himself last summer with aggression against the run, gaining confidence by making plays in space. It would put an end to games like the one he had in St. Louis last November, where he played in 38,5 percent of the snaps because the Rams' packages kept the Broncos' base defense on the field so often. He was also limited to less than 60 percent of the snaps in losses to Cincinnati and Indianapolis.
    rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...3-e1f7408c4519

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

It makes sense. If he can play free safety on base downs, it gets your best 11 on the field. On nickel downs he can line up at corner, and Stewart can come in and cover the free safety spot while a linebacker goes off. It gets Roby on the field every play along with Harris and Talib.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

It sounds like a simple way to get him in the field more, but the concern is he becomes a jack of all trades and a master of none.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    It sounds like a simple way to get him in the field more, but the concern is he becomes a jack of all trades and a master of none.
    Why? In this scenario he plays the same amount of time at corner than he would if he only played corner. The difference is, he's not sitting on the bench in base defense.

I'd rather Webster
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Having him on the fields outweighs any negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Why? In this scenario he plays the same amount of time at corner than he would if he only played corner. The difference is, he's not sitting on the bench in base defense.
    Because he has to take snaps at both positions in practice. Hopefully my concern is ill founded.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

There's nothing wrong with that. I've made a living of that for the last 12 years working on planes. He can do it with football.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I'd rather Webster
    The only reason I would tend to agree here is because Webster is feisty and always seems to be looking for contact. Roby's cover skills are better though. I think Roby also reads the QB better.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

some day before i die, the broncos will actually get some decent safeties who aren't forty years old, and then they won't have to do this shit. . .

13. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    some day before i die, the broncos will actually get some decent safeties who aren't forty years old, and then they won't have to do this shit. . .
    Ward is pretty good, but yeah, it's been a while since we've had an elite fs.

Harris said he, Roby, and Webster could all play safety.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Jeez, some of you guys will worry about anything!

Too young to have seen the Dennis Smith, Steve Atwater days Dog?

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Too young to have seen the Dennis Smith, Steve Atwater days Dog?
    only as a child, but i still miss it. . . you're right, though, should have said "again". . .

of course, it's the legacy of those guys that bums me out so much about the marquand manuel's, kennoy kennedy's and rahim moore's of the world. . .

19. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information