Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Reason Cody Latimer Didn't Play Much Last Season

Default The Real Reason Cody Latimer Didn't Play Much Last Season

The Broncos spent a second-round draft pick on wide receiver Cody Latimer last season, and they had little to show for it: Latimer ended his rookie season with two catches for 23 yards. Latimer now says he wasn’t ready for the mental side of the NFL game.

Latimer tells the Denver Post that he struggled with learning the offense, and particularly learning to adjust on the fly when Peyton Manning would change plays at the line of scrimmage.

“It took me too long to actually catch on,” Latimer said. “I was in the playbook, but I could have done even more. When I actually got it, it was too late. It was just way different [than college]. I would know the play, then Peyton would change it. Then I’d get to thinking too much and play slower.”
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-with-peyton/

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

I've been as hard on Fox as anyone about not playing young guys, but it looks like this one wasn't on him.

Interesting. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

5. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

What it means is he had to be prepared to know the entire playbook, not just pieces of it because Manning might audible at any time to what he saw the defense was giving him.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

"I would know the play, then Peyton would change it. Then I’d get to thinking too much and play slower.”

Interesting. Especially after certain posters have scoffed at the idea that Peyton's constant audibles have possibly confused his own offense moreso than the defense.

8. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

:scoff:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    "I would know the play, then Peyton would change it. Then I’d get to thinking too much and play slower.”

Interesting. Especially after certain posters have scoffed at the idea that Peyton's constant audibles have possibly confused his own offense moreso than the defense.
    One rookie and now he confuses his offense? Great theory you got there.

11. The Following 5 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    One rookie and now he confuses his offense? Great theory you got there.
    Who knows if it was just one rookie? I saw people on here told that is was ridiculous that Peyton was confusing his own teammates. Well, it's obviously not so ridiculous in at least one case. You can also look back to the first play of the Super Bowl for another possible example.

Who knows if it was just one rookie? I saw people on here told that is was ridiculous that Peyton was confusing his own teammates. Well, it's obviously not so ridiculous in at least one case. You can also look back to the first play of the Super Bowl for another possible example.
    So a rookie has been slow to run the offense and a center snapped the ball too early. You don't think other teams have had the same issues? It's not the offense or the quarterback. The shit happens all the time.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    So a rookie has been slow to run the offense and a center snapped the ball too early. You don't think other teams have had the same issues? It's not the offense or the quarterback. The shit happens all the time.
    I'm not necessarily saying it's a huge problem. I just specifically remember discussions where people were told it was a ridiculous notion that Peyton could be confusing his own teammates. Just found it funny that this came up after those discussions.

So peyton shouldn't change plays because it confuses a rookie.

Ugh, I wish he hadn't said he could have done more. Everything he said makes complete sense and is understandable as a first-year player.

But saying you could have done more gives bait to criticism it doesn't sound like he deserves.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

17. The Following User High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    So peyton shouldn't change plays because it confuses a rookie.
    Yeah that's totally what I said.

Yeah that's totally what I said.
    We should cut Peyton and bring in a quarterback that doesn't audible.

Wtf is your point exactly? You're trying to find some technicality in some past argument you had, while still not having a point. It's like saying it was cold today so there must be global cooling.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

So why did Sanders, DT, Decker, Welker and JT catch on right away? They all played with Manning for the first time too. I know they weren't rookies but football is football. Maybe Cody didn't have his head in the playbook enough. When a QB audibles you should know they damn play. This is the NFL, not high school.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information