Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Reason Cody Latimer Didn't Play Much Last Season

Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    Maybe the rookie just isn't very smart...
    To be fair, there aren't many 22-23 year olds that I would include in the brilliant category.
    "There's a box of Twinkies in that grocery store. Not just any box of Twinkies, the last box of Twinkies that anyone will enjoy in the whole universe. Believe it or not, Twinkies have an expiration date. Some day very soon, Life's little Twinkie gauge is gonna go... empty."

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived drewloc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Calling audibles really isnt anything new, even Elway did that a lot. I dont think because a rookie had issues with it meant the entire team was confused.
    Again, I'm not saying calling audibles is a bad thing. Just that it's a possibility that maybe he can get a little carried away with it at times and that it might not always be the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by drewloc View Post
    To be fair, there aren't many 22-23 year olds that I would include in the brilliant category.
    Hopefully this is his year and he comes into his own.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Really? A ******* thread arguing about audibles just because our own rookie receiver basically admitted to being a slow at understanding the playbook? Well hell, we better pray Peyton doesn't even think of audibling this year, everybody has a new playbook, not just an unprepared rookie. The consequences could be catastrophic.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

7. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Really? A ******* thread arguing about audibles just because our own rookie receiver basically admitted to being a slow at understanding the playbook? Well hell, we better pray Peyton doesn't even think of audibling this year, everybody has a new playbook, not just an unprepared rookie. The consequences could be catastrophic.
    In fairness, this isn't a new concept and it's not really all that ridiculous. Schlereth talked about it last year, NTL made a thread about it "Is our biggest strength also our greatest weakness" or something to that effect, we've been over this at length.

There is probably some logic to the idea that not every offensive player has the encyclopedia-like football knowledge that Peyton has. At some point, changing the play 3 times before every play starts to take away the rhythm from the offense, and starts to put our offensive linemen on their heels.

The idea isn't that audibling is bad, but that at some point you reach the point of diminishing returns and you still need to physically beat the other team and not just try to outsmart them on every down.

I think that Latimer's problems are more the result of being an unprepared and immature rookie more than our overly complex offense. But that doesn't mean there isn't some validity to the idea that simplifying might help us in some instances.

9. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Again, I'm not saying calling audibles is a bad thing. Just that it's a possibility that maybe he can get a little carried away with it at times and that it might not always be the best option.
    Ok, that makes more sense. So i think what you actually mean is if an audible is called it may not always work because of how the other team is defending it. This i agree with, it just seemed you were trying to imply the team was confused by it which i wouldnt agree with. Throughout the season those type of plays work 85% of the time and the team works on those kinds of things before and during the season so i dont think there should be any confusion there. With Latimer it makes sense because he is a rookie and getting used to it.

hmmmmm.....

I read the article that Carol posted last year where they interviewed Adam Gase. Gase said that Manning only audibles about 20% of the time. The other 80% or so he calls the play as Gase had intended.

I do not see how this hamstrings the offense. It means that Cody is either a moron who cant handle 20% of plays being changed or he is taking more of the blame for his lack of PT than is actually warranted.

Once again, 20% of the time we audibled....If we run 60 plays a game..That is 12 plays that have been changed.

3 a quarter.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

12. The Following 5 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

I wouldn't read into it too much. People have different learning styles. It's not uncommon for rookies to struggle with thinking too much. I'm confident things will speed up for him.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    In fairness, this isn't a new concept and it's not really all that ridiculous. Schlereth talked about it last year, NTL made a thread about it "Is our biggest strength also our greatest weakness" or something to that effect, we've been over this at length.

There is probably some logic to the idea that not every offensive player has the encyclopedia-like football knowledge that Peyton has. At some point, changing the play 3 times before every play starts to take away the rhythm from the offense, and starts to put our offensive linemen on their heels.

The idea isn't that audibling is bad, but that at some point you reach the point of diminishing returns and you still need to physically beat the other team and not just try to outsmart them on every down.

I think that Latimer's problems are more the result of being an unprepared and immature rookie more than our overly complex offense. But that doesn't mean there isn't some validity to the idea that simplifying might help us in some instances.
    Very well put. This pretty much sums up the point I was trying to get at.

16. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    hmmmmm.....

I read the article that Carol posted last year where they interviewed Adam Gase. Gase said that Manning only audibles about 20% of the time. The other 80% or so he calls the play as Gase had intended.

I do not see how this hamstrings the offense. It means that Cody is either a moron who cant handle 20% of plays being changed or he is taking more of the blame for his lack of PT than is actually warranted.

Once again, 20% of the time we audibled....If we run 60 plays a game..That is 12 plays that have been changed.

3 a quarter.
    Well he definitely pretends to audible way more than that. Sometimes I think it would be better to just go up and snap the ball and keep the offense in rhythm than to waste the whole play clock to just run the same play the coaches called anyway. Especially against smart defenses like Seattle that just don't fall for it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I am curious why we go no huddle, then (on most occasions) don't snap the ball until there's only 1-3 seconds left on the play clock. His antics at the LOS bothered me while he was a Colt, and still do today.

19. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I am curious why we go no huddle, then (on most occasions) don't snap the ball until there's only 1-3 seconds left on the play clock. His antics at the LOS bothered me while he was a Colt, and still do today.
    Some has to do with the defensive adjustments and some has to do with Peyton seeing something that makes him want to audible out of it or a combination of both.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Some has to do with the defensive adjustments and some has to do with Peyton seeing something that makes him want to audible out of it or a combination of both.
    Yeah but if we are only audibling 20% of the time, then that means most of his pre snap antics aren't even doing anything. It just seems to me like it would be more effective in those cases to just keep the offense in rhythm instead of trying too hard to confuse the defense.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post

Yeah but if we are only audibling 20% of the time, then that means most of his pre snap antics aren't even doing anything. It just seems to me like it would be more effective in those cases to just keep the offense in rhythm instead of trying too hard to confuse the defense.
    I know what you are saying but 2013 and peytons career stats disagree

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I know what you are saying but 2013 and peytons career stats disagree
    Who is to say that his pre snap antics are why his stats are so good though? Maybe they would have been just as good without them.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information