Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: what did you want to be when you grew up?

Quote Originally Posted by AGap View Post
    It is kinda sadistic. Coulda woulda shoulda. I do that to myself a lot. No wonder I'm a miserable dik. Did anyone want to be a miserable dik when they grew up? I'm thinking not.
    Lol, I'm just messing with ya dude. I know that wasn't your intention.

2. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

When I was a kid I wanted to be a veterinarian until I got to be about 13. Then it was a Firefighter. Ended up going to college for a couple years and took Fire Science. Got on as a PCF and things were looking bright. Then family started a business that they wanted me to run and be co-owner. That business ended up closing. Should of stuck with the FD bc I had alot of friends working either County or City or CalFire (CDF at the time), was even dating the Captains daughter. I know I would of made a good FF.

Now I am with Union Pacific Railroad working as a Conductor and will soon become a Locomotive Engineer. It's a damn good career and I love it but if you were to ask me if I thought I'd be doing what I'm doing when I was a kid I'd say hell no!
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

4. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by olathebroncofan View Post
    I wanted to design roads and bridges since 5th grade. One structures course in college narrowed it down to road design engineer. I love it. It's the type of job that I don't mind going in at 8am, working until 2am, and doing it all over again.

this my calling.

Oh wow that's awesome man. Pretty spot on based on what you wanted to be when you were a kid.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Wanted to be an artist, then visions of rock stardom after picking up a guitar around 12 or so. Was in my mid-20s before really giving up on that. Went to college meanwhile.

Everyone told me Graphic Design was a terrible major because the pay was dogshit. So I spun a wheel and majored in Criminal Justice but still minored in Graphic Design. Got Bs in CJ and top of my class in design classes. Don't listen to career advisors, kids.

After I graduated I had zero skills except what I had in art/graphic design, which allowed me to work immediately. It did pay shit but the internet came along and transitioning to web design/UX allowed me to make a decent living.

It was difficult to stay in it during the Bush years and the devastating, widespread layoffs -- but I wasn't making top dollar then and survived.

It's more of an employee's market now -- but long term there's tons of uncertainty. I moved out of development and into management out of necessity - just don't have time anymore to learn every ******* new programming language that comes out now that I have a family - and it blows.

Plus coding isn't the career it used to be with the influx of kids out of college willing to work for less and the greatest threat of all, Indian labor.

Unsure how I'm going to squeeze 20 more years out of it. Thanks OP...
    Last edited by tomjonesrocks; 04-18-2015 at 04:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Lol, I'm just messing with ya dude. I know that wasn't your intention.
    Oh I know. It kinda is though. I'm a sadist to myself with it I think/ or can be. I learned something from you today

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    Wanted to be an artist, then visions of rock stardom after picking up a guitar around 12 or so. Was in my mid-20s before really giving up on that. Went to college meanwhile.

Everyone told me Graphic Design was a terrible major because the pay was dogshit. So I spun a wheel and majored in Criminal Justice but still minored in Graphic Design. Got Bs in CJ and top of my class in design classes. Don't listen to career advisors, kids.

After I graduated I had zero skills except what I had in art/graphic design, which allowed me to work immediately. It did pay shit but the internet came along and transitioning to web design/UX allowed me to make a decent living.

It was difficult to stay in it during the Bush years and the devastating, widespread layoffs -- but I wasn't making top dollar then and survived.

It's more of an employee's market now -- but long term there's tons of uncertainty. I moved out of development and into management out of necessity - just don't have time anymore to learn every ******* new programming language that comes out now that I have a family - and it blows.

Plus coding isn't the career it used to be with the influx of kids out of college willing to work for less and the greatest threat of all, Indian labor.

Unsure how I'm going to squeeze 20 more years out of it. Thanks OP...
    What about being a cp? EFF that?

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

What about being a cp? EFF that?
    What's a cp

Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    What's a cp
    Typo. Meant cj for criminal justice

After childhood I wanted to be a fighter pilot because of the whole top gun thing.
    Then I wanted to be psychologist in high school. Then I wanted to be a philosopher when I was 19-20, but soon realized no one was going to pay me to sit around and think about how smart I thought I was.

13. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

I wanted to be a football coach and a teacher. Or a cop. Now I'm majoring in psychology.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Typo. Meant cj for criminal justice
    Ah cool. I thought it was some crazy American thing I was not familiar with

16. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I grew up in a family business - interior and kitchen design, remodeling homes and a gift shop in Aspen. That was pretty much all I thought about until we closed up shop in the mid-late 80's. Someone mentioned the Bush years - the Carter years were absolutely devastating for small business.

Stumbled around for a while in banking and real estate, then took a job with an airline and worked in the travel industry in various capacities for 20 years. When that fell apart (post 9/11) I moved into what I do today.

18. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I grew up in a family business - interior and kitchen design, remodeling homes and a gift shop in Aspen. That was pretty much all I thought about until we closed up shop in the mid-late 80's. Someone mentioned the Bush years - the Carter years were absolutely devastating for small business.

Stumbled around for a while in banking and real estate, then took a job with an airline and worked in the travel industry in various capacities for 20 years. When that fell apart (post 9/11) I moved into what I do today.
    What did you do for the airlines and what do you do today? I know about that "stumbling around" period ( jobwise , still stumbling around in a lot of ways) I did that til 30 or so. Hated it and wasn't good at it. Always felt unsure

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I always wanted to make movies when I was younger or do something in a creative field. The closest I ever got is when I got to screen a movie for an audience as part of a small film festival in college. Now I try to gainfully employ myself in as creative of a job as possible while still making money. Being a web UI/UX designer takes a lot of what I love and gives me a pretty good living so I am happy. Movies and art are more of a hobby now, but I still make time for it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Patrick Surtain II

My dad worked for Northwest Airlines pretty much his whole life. As far back as I can remember I wanted to be a carrier fighter pilot. I was amazed by Naval carrier aviation. Ended up as a Marine in Naval flight training. Went all the way through the Strike pipeline and was awarded the Harrier for my proficiency. It was the only jet that didn't have a hook. On the other hand I have 14 arrested landings and no bolters. Not many carrier pilots can say that lol.
    2009 & 2020 Broncos Forums Pick'em King
    2011 & 2019 Broncos Forums Survival Football Champion

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Canmore For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information