Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: what did you want to be when you grew up?

Default what did you want to be when you grew up?

this place is kinda boring in the off season. I want to hear some stories. The thread title is suggestive enough I think. what is your field and do you get fulfillment from it? do you ever feel as if you missed your calling? what did you dream of doing? what inspired you? how did that change if at all? any particular person influence or inspire you? I myself became pretty disillusioned with a lot of things that I thought would be cool. I was a history undergrad (no idea what I wanted to do, just to get out in 4 years, possibly law school down the road) never was interested in teaching. then science intrigued me and that's what I've been doing the last 25 years. I worked a lot of shit jobs early on. anyway, let's hear it, if you're so inclined

2. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

A rabbit breeder.

4. The Following User High Fived BeefStew25 For This Post:

if your just going to take shots at me, I'd appreciate that you not participate in this thread

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Great idea Gapper,

I wanted to be a professional soccer player, if the chips fell differently at various stages of my life it could have been a reality (not lionel messi level, but i could have been a fairly good journeyman) But drink and drugs intervened and i ended up a bit of a mess.

Then one day, whilst in a drunken state, my friend came back from Bosnia - told me that i should join the army, so the following day, he appeared at my house, told me to shave and took me to the careers office.

My plan was to do three years, sort myself out then leave and become a holiday rep in Ibiza.

3 years came and went, my goals started changing to be more military focused, promotion, become a recruit instructor, to serve in various places, to run faster etc etc

Then i wanted to work with people, did some counselling and coaching training, went back to uni - got my second degree, became a social worker.

Now my plan is to complete some more study (i have a phd proposal in at the minute - but if it gets declined, perhaps a masters) and to set up my own business as a therapeutic practitioner.

But most of all - all i really want to do is travel and have cool experiences with my family.
    Last edited by Valar Morghulis; 04-17-2015 at 05:22 PM.

7. The Following 4 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

val, that is really interesting. sounds like you had some really good experiences in the military. I guess my dream that would be your soccer dream was to be a farmer, then I wanted to be a veterinarian. I entertained everything at one time or another. obstetrician, priest, cult leader (kidding on that one) civil engineer, architect, even considered law. but having my own business of some sort would be the ultimate. I don't like "the man" so to speak. I was never really driven by money, although I wanted a nice house, land, animals, a wife if she was nice. kids depending. but ultimately I wanted to enjoy what I did, something that I looked forward to day in day out. things change of course, I like to feel that I am contributing something, but I do get "disillusioned" on that. what drives me now in the day to day is production and efficiency. anyway, thanks for your input

9. The Following User High Fived BroncoNut For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by AGap View Post
    val, that is really interesting. sounds like you had some really good experiences in the military. I guess my dream that would be your soccer dream was to be a farmer, then I wanted to be a veterinarian. I entertained everything at one time or another. obstetrician, priest, cult leader (kidding on that one) civil engineer, architect, even considered law. but having my own business of some sort would be the ultimate. I don't like "the man" so to speak. I was never really driven by money, although I wanted a nice house, land, animals, a wife if she was nice. kids depending. but ultimately I wanted to enjoy what I did, something that I looked forward to day in day out. things change of course, I like to feel that I am contributing something, but I do get "disillusioned" on that. what drives me now in the day to day is production and efficiency. anyway, thanks for your input
    Yeah - feeling like I am earning my place in the universe by making some positive changes for someone - is actually quite important to me.

I don't think we can ask for much more on our death beds other than being happy with the tiny mark out lives left in this particular part of space and time.

Having a farm would rock though.

11. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'm pretty sure I wanted to be a dinosaur when I grew up when I was a little kid. I guess that one didn't pan out!

13. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

I wanted to be a cop, I've always disliked minorities and been quick to jump to conclusions, so I think I really missed the boat on that one
    Free Hotcarl!

15. The Following 12 Users High Fived Pudge For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Too numerous to mention. However, being this is a Broncos fan site:

QB for the Broncos
    I知 an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger痴, feel free to ask. I知 not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

A lawyer. Too much schooling and stupidity ruled my life during the important years.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

To play for the Broncos. Duh.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I知 the hobbit.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I'm pretty sure I wanted to be a dinosaur when I grew up when I was a little kid. I guess that one didn't pan out!
    https://youtu.be/I8gY0IT0CuA
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I知 the hobbit.

When I was really little I wanted to be a garbage man, lol. My uncle use to get so mad at me.
    I just thought the guys riding on the back of the trucks, throwing big cans were super macho.

23. The Following 3 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    To play for the Broncos. Duh.
    What position?
    I知 an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger痴, feel free to ask. I知 not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Fighter pilot. I was obsessed with flying. My dad had a little cessna 210 that we flew all over the country. Hed take it way up in the air and then let my brother and i take the yoke. Wow. Then my eyesight went to shit and i dropped out of college to pursue a toxic marriage and a rewarding career in sales.

Thanks for starting this thread nut. Youre a real ahole

26. The Following 5 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information