Thread: Fox: Cutler will need to earn starting position

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Fox: Cutler will need to earn starting position

Personally i agree with Fox here. I think Jay has gotten a little comfortable with the idea that he needs to be designated as the automatic starter. The question will be will he pout or take the challenge head on.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...sen-for-qb-job

After a string of uneven, maddening performances, Jay Cutler, the Bears' franchise quarterback, was benched in Week 16 for Jimmy Clausen. Then-coach Marc Trestman said of his decision, "I think we need a lift at quarterback."

Trestman was fired after the season and replaced by John Fox, who during a four-year stint with the Broncos, endured the highs and lows of competent NFL quarterbacking; Tim Tebow was Fox's starter in Denver for much of the 2011 season, followed by Peyton Manning from 2012-2014.

And now Cutler, who former general manager Phil Emery signed to a seven-year, $126.7 million deal in January 2014, is Fox's problem. And despite that face-of-the-franchise contract, there are no guarantees that Cutler will be the Bears' starter in 2015.

“It's all an open competition,” Fox said Wednesday at the NFL owners meeting, according to CSNChicago.com. “Obviously you've got to start somewhere and my experience in football, really in anything, it's not where you start a competition; it's where you finish it.

“But we've got to start the race with some kind of lineup. We have not discussed that in depth. We have not presented it to our players yet. I kind of have it in my brain and then they compete.”

That means Cutler will have to beat out Clausen (quick refresher: this guy) for the right to be called the Bears' starting quarterback.

2. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information