Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Ever Serve on a Jury?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Default Anyone Ever Serve on a Jury?

I get called up it seems every other year, and last week the inevitable happened... I was selected to serve on the jury for a Federal District Court Case in Denver. The case went for 7 days (all last week and Monday and Tuesday) and it was a very interesting experience. Not one I want to have again anytime soon, but interesting nonetheless. Anyone else ever been on a jury? If so what was your experience?

I was actually quite surprised how far off I was of everyone else. The case involved the foster mother of a special needs child who was suing Pueblo School District 60 over the treatment of her daughter while attending special education classes there. The main crux of the case was the use of a special "wraparound" desk to help Ebonie (the daughter) focus in class for roughly 20-30 minutes a day to do desk work like writing, coloring, etc.

The desk was argued by the Plaintiff (the mother) after it had been used for 2 years that it was an unlawful restraint device. The desk was shown to us in photos and is best described as a large rectangular desk with an area cut out for the student to sit in so that the surface area covers the front and right/left sides of them. The chair is pushed into the opening and if needed a bar was placed behind the chair so they couldn't back out. It basically looked like a high chair/desk combo to me. Anyway she was suing for damages which immediately made me question her motives and she claimed the emotional distress caused by the desk caused her daughter such harm that she now needed even more care than she would've before.

Long story short I felt the Plaintiff did not prove emotional distress on any level that was provided in the evidence and I sided with the school district during deliberations. I was in the minority there and had to argue my points for 2 days which was fun and nerve wrecking at the same time. In the end since it was not a "beyond a reasonable" doubt judgment we had to make I conceded to the other side and their was a settlement reached. To let you know how bad it got during the deliberation one guy called me "..one of those Republicans who hates taxes and thinks people need to pay everything themselves".

Too Long Didn't Read Version:

I served in a Jury and it was interesting. Have you ever? And if so what did you think of it. I liked it but am in NO HURRY to do it again.

2. The Following 8 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I've gotten pulled for consideration many times because I would go drunk and smelling of Johnny Walker.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    I've gotten pulled for consideration many times because I would go drunk and smelling of Johnny Walker.
    That would make you qualified to be on a jury of my peers.
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

6. The Following User High Fived Softskull For This Post:

I have poor hearing. Born with a modest deficiency that I nurtured for the worse playing guitar in bands in college along with seeing hundreds of shows.

If you want off a jury say you have hearing loss. They'll almost never ask for audiologist proof. I have proof if they want it but after writing in that excuse haven't heard from them in 15 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

8. The Following User High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    I have poor hearing. Born with a modest deficiency that I nurtured for the worse playing guitar in bands in college along with seeing hundreds of shows. If you want off a jury say you have hearing loss. They'll almost never ask for audiologist proof. I have proof if they want it but after writing in that excuse haven't heard from them in 15 years.
    Guess my 12 years of being around jet engines will get me something in life.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

10. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

I don't have the time to type it out, but I served on a jury. At first I was irritated that I had to do it, but after a bit I really enjoyed it. It was an interesting experience for sure and I think everyone should do it once
    Free Hotcarl!

12. The Following User High Fived Pudge For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    I don't have the time to type it out, but I served on a jury. At first I was irritated that I had to do it, but after a bit I really enjoyed it. It was an interesting experience for sure and I think everyone should do it once
    Same here. I was pissed one minute then totally invested the next. I joke about the other jurors but they were great people.

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

I would love to be selected but I never have been

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Gene Mingo

I've been question multiple times but as soon as they hear about my wife's gig, I'm tossed.
    Some of those that work forces
    Are the same that burn crosses

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Quote Originally Posted by Softskull View Post
    I've been question multiple times but as soon as they hear about my wife's gig, I'm tossed.
    That is usually how I get out since my wife works with the courts. This image sums up how I felt some of my fellow jurors approached it:

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

When you say a settlement was reached what was it?

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Default Anyone Ever Serve on a Jury?

2.2 million in damages that go to care for her through adulthood. It is definitely going to get appealed.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    2.2 million in damages that go to care for her through adulthood. It is definitely going to get appealed.
    Yo should have stuck to your guns!

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post

Same here. I was pissed one minute then totally invested the next. I joke about the other jurors but they were great people.
    There was a guy walking the neighbors fence line "feverishly masturbating" she took pictures with an outdated camera phone through filthy windows. The guy then went to his backyard and dropped his pants and started going to town looking at her while she continued to take poor quality pictures. I was almost positive the guy was guilty, he was a creepy looking dude. We deliberated for a few hours and everyone wanted to say guilty, but I argued that there really wasn't any proof, and I'd be irate if I was convicted of a crime with no real evidence. I talked everyone into saying not guilty. The next day I googled his name and found out it was his fifth charge in two years and was looking at essentially life in prison, he was like 70. I kind of regret that but I don't at the same time.
    Free Hotcarl!

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    There was a guy walking the neighbors fence line "feverishly masturbating" she took pictures with an outdated camera phone through filthy windows. The guy then went to his backyard and dropped his pants and started going to town looking at her while she continued to take poor quality pictures. I was almost positive the guy was guilty, he was a creepy looking dude. We deliberated for a few hours and everyone wanted to say guilty, but I argued that there really wasn't any proof, and I'd be irate if I was convicted of a crime with no real evidence. I talked everyone into saying not guilty. The next day I googled his name and found out it was his fifth charge in two years and was looking at essentially life in prison, he was like 70. I kind of regret that but I don't at the same time.
    Now THAT is hilarious.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information