Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Broncos to get four compensatory picks

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    Why burn a second on a backer when we have Quanterus Smith who will transition to 3-4 OLB and learn from Ware, Barrow, McCray, and the dude we just grabbed on FA as backups? Using a second rounder on a higher priority position of need makes a lot more sense to me.
    it is a position of high need. . . walker is a backup and special teamer, and smith has like zero plays to his name-- not saying he can't do it, but we could certainly use another talent there. . . if von went down, we could be boned. . . besides, how long does ware have left? totally makes sense to start looking now for the guy that's going to play across from von long term. . .

2. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Why burn a second on a backer when we have Quanterus Smith who will transition to 3-4 OLB and learn from Ware, Barrow, McCray, and the dude we just grabbed on FA as backups? Using a second rounder on a higher priority position of need makes a lot more sense to me.
    We definitely go O line with the first pick. I am actually high on our linebacker depth, but if we do pick up another O lineman in free agency (Meyers maybe?), then I wouldn't have an issue using our second rounder to pick up a middle backer. If we don't pick up another O lineman in free agency, I would go O line with both our first and second round picks.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Bronc View Post
    We definitely go O line with the first pick. I am actually high on our linebacker depth, but if we do pick up another O lineman in free agency (Meyers maybe?), then I wouldn't have an issue using our second rounder to pick up a middle backer. If we don't pick up another O lineman in free agency, I would go O line with both our first and second round picks.
    We won't have a MLB in a 3-4, we will have two ILBs. And drafting the same position twice in two rounds isn't really a good strategy. I would rather go after an o-lineman round one and a safety round two, maybe a DT.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    totally makes sense to start looking now for the guy that's going to play across from von long term. . .
    Mark it down, that guys name is McCray.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Mark it down, that guys name is McCray.
    Or Quantarus Smith if he can come around. Similar size and skill set as Ware.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

SR you must not have read my post all the way. I said OT in round one, trade up in second for an ILB.....not OLB.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by NightTerror218 View Post
    SR you must not have read my post all the way. I said OT in round one, trade up in second for an ILB.....not OLB.
    I read your post and replied accordingly. My Smith comment was directed at the poster I quoted.

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

I read your post and replied accordingly. My Smith comment was directed at the poster I quoted.
    I made no mention of an OLB or adding one. Smith would be a OLB in 3-4.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I made no mention of an OLB or adding one. Smith would be a OLB in 3-4.
    I never said you did dude. I was simply naming our linebackers and mentioned Smith making the transition to 3-4 OLB.

We won't have a MLB in a 3-4, we will have two ILBs. And drafting the same position twice in two rounds isn't really a good strategy. I would rather go after an o-lineman round one and a safety round two, maybe a DT.
    I realize we have two inside backers in a 3-4, just using a generic term, and drafting a guard/center and tackle with the first two picks wouldn't be drafting the same position twice. It would be shoring up the weakest part of the team where we will be looking at potentially three new starters. If we re sign Montgomery or sign Meyers, or if Kubiak is as high on Ramirez as he says he is, then drafting an interior lineman won't be as big of an issue.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Bronc View Post
    I realize we have two inside backers in a 3-4, just using a generic term, and drafting a guard/center and tackle with the first two picks wouldn't be drafting the same position twice. It would be shoring up the weakest part of the team where we will be looking at potentially three new starters. If we re sign Montgomery or sign Meyers, or if Kubiak is as high on Ramirez as he says he is, then drafting an interior lineman won't be as big of an issue.
    Do you think two rookie offensive linemen will be any better/different than what we already have though?

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

Do you think two rookie offensive linemen will be any better/different than what we already have though?
    Yes, some are immediate impact players, pats center is a rookie.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Yes, some are immediate impact players, pats center is a rookie.
    Hopefully you're right.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Hopefully you're right.
    I have much more confidence in seeing early impact from young guys under this regime than I did under Fox.

Right now I believe we will use our first round pick on a guard or tackle, and that rookie will probably end up starting. The rest depends on what the coachng staff really thinks of Schofield, Garland and Paradis, how well they have progressed, and who else we sign. If either or all of the three are really ready to step in, then it eliminates the need. If they haven't progressed then I would strongly consider going O line in the first and second as much for the future as the present. It all starts in the trenches. I like our linebacker depth right now although I wouldn't be opposed at all to drafting an Eric Kendricks type of linebacker, but we might have a more pressing need at D-end over linebacker from a depth perspective on defense.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information