Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lawsuit could end sports leagues' all-or-nothing TV packages

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Lawsuit could end sports leagues' all-or-nothing TV packages

NEW YORK (AP) — A high-stakes case playing out in federal court could lead to the end of the all-or-nothing pro sports TV packages that force fans to buy hundreds of live games from around the league instead of just those involving their favorite teams.

Fans have long asked for tailored options to view live games on TV and other devices, saying league-wide packages such as Major League Baseball's Extra Innings, the National Football League's Sunday Ticket and the National Hockey League's Center Ice offer more games than they want or can possibly watch.

A Boston baseball fan living in Los Angeles, for example, would currently have no choice but to order hundreds of games from across the league just to see the Red Sox play. The Extra Innings package, offering up to 80 out-of-market games a week, is advertised by cable providers for $195 a season.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...all-or-nothing

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Baseball's blackout rules are the far greater sin than making you buy the full package. Why not enjoy other action around the league if you're a "true fan"? I don't think the prices are unreasonable for out-of-market games. It's the access that bothers me more.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

The important question is, "who cares about Red Sox fans in California?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    The important question is, "who cares about Red Sox fans in California?
    Transplant fans are everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Transplant fans are everywhere.
    I understand that. You took me too literally, because what I'm really trying to say is, "who cares about Red Sox fans"?

7. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I understand that. You took me too literally, because what I'm really trying to say is, "who cares about Red Sox fans"?
    I apologize.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Whiny Red Sox fans are everywhere.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

11. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Joe is gonna raise Caine up in this piece.

13. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Actually, I like the idea. They'd probably make more money in the long run because more people would sign up if they could just get their team's broadcast.

I also think the NFL Sunday Ticket violates anti-trust laws. There shouldn't be only one provider that has it.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I agree Joe. I don't buy Sunday Ticket, but if if I could buy a package to just watch Broncos games live for, say, 100 bucks a year or so, I would be all over that. Cheaper than the ticket and going to sports bars. And that would be 100 bucks of my money DTV or another cable network would have that they currently do not.

17. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Actually, I like the idea. They'd probably make more money in the long run because more people would sign up if they could just get their team's broadcast. I also think the NFL Sunday Ticket violates anti-trust laws. There shouldn't be only one provider that has it.
    I would agree if the NFL didn't offer Red Zone on most other providers. Also, it's a money contract awarded to DirecTV by the NFL, not just given to them. Other companies undoubtedly bid for NFL Sunday Ticket rights but can't hang with the biggest cable TV provider in the worliverse.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    I would agree if the NFL didn't offer Red Zone on most other providers. Also, it's a money contract awarded to DirecTV by the NFL, not just given to them. Other companies undoubtedly bid for NFL Sunday Ticket rights but can't hang with the biggest cable TV provider in the worliverse.
    I never said it is "given" to them. Comcast and other providers bid for the rights, but mostly to drive up the cost to DirecTV. It's a huge money loser for them (they pay $1 Billion+) and we're happy to help in that effort.

However, with something like the NFL, no one provider should own the rights to Sunday Ticket. It creates an unfair and non-competitive advantage which is against Anti-Trust laws, because every single game is broadcast somewhere over the air. IMO.

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I never said it is "given" to them. Comcast and other providers bid for the rights, but mostly to drive up the cost to DirecTV. It's a huge money loser for them (they pay $1 Billion) and we're happy to help in that effort. However, with something like the NFL, no one provider should own the rights to Sunday Ticket. It creates an unfair and non-competitive advantage which is against Anti-Trust laws, because every single game is broadcast somewhere over the air. IMO.
    I don't disagree. The sole purpose for me having DTV is for Sunday Ticket, but if Comcast had rights I would gladly make the switch.

21. The Following User High Fived SR For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by SR View Post
    I don't disagree. The sole purpose for me having DTV is for Sunday Ticket, but if Comcast had rights I would gladly make the switch.
    I think they have the contract through the 2015 season. I'd love it if they changed or altered the format and allowed the broadcast of individual teams, so you wouldn't have to buy the entire package. Then made it available to all providers. The money would roll in like crazy. People and bar owners could still have the option of having the whole package too.

23. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

I think they have the contract through the 2015 season. I'd love it if they changed or altered the format and allowed the broadcast of individual teams, so you wouldn't have to buy the entire package. Then made it available to all providers. The money would roll in like crazy. People and bar owners could still have the option of having the whole package too.
    Yeah. I mean, if I could get the Broncos game for like $10 per week I would rather that than the whole Sunday Ticket package.

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived SR For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information