Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Compensatory Picks Next Year......

Elway is doing his best Ozzy Newsome impression. The guy builds his teams on draft picks year after year and the Ravens are always competitive with 2 super bowls to boot. Anyone see the Ravens making a big splash in free agency this year? They've signed exactly one no-name free agent from another team. Ozzy knows how to win offseasons. Elway is learning. I like what he's doing so far.

The Broncos only have roughly 30 players under contract for the 2016 season. Elway is going to build this team long term through the draft like all of the great GM's do. Compensatory picks are a big part of that.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Elway is doing his best Ozzy Newsome impression. The guy builds his teams on draft picks year after year and the Ravens are always competitive with 2 super bowls to boot. Anyone see the Ravens making a big splash in free agency this year? They've signed exactly one no-name free agent from another team. Ozzy knows how to win offseasons. Elway is learning. I like what he's doing so far.

The Broncos only have roughly 30 players under contract for the 2016 season. Elway is going to build this team long term through the draft like all of the great GM's do. Compensatory picks are a big part of that.
    Agreed. This is the first year we're going to have comp picks in a while, and now next year as well. Elway is following a good model to build long term.

My only issue with it this year is that this is likely to be Manning's last. So we made him take a pay cut, then went for cheaper alternatives to every player that left? And I like the looks of the new coaching staff, but I imagine it will take more than one year to really gel and see what their plan will be. Not a great environment for Manning if we're still trying to "win now"

4. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Agreed. This is the first year we're going to have comp picks in a while, and now next year as well. Elway is following a good model to build long term.

My only issue with it this year is that this is likely to be Manning's last. So we made him take a pay cut, then went for cheaper alternatives to every player that left? And I like the looks of the new coaching staff, but I imagine it will take more than one year to really gel and see what their plan will be. Not a great environment for Manning if we're still trying to "win now"
    Not sure what else they could do, there isnt any cap space, but I agree that win now was last year, and maybe it was time to move in an entirely different direction. I guess manning really just wants the last major record, I cant imagine him thinking we are 'better' this year than last, or the previous 2 years before.

I cant imagine that we are worse... Fox and Gase and Del Rio were abominations to our team.

I still find it near impossible that we have an entire offense full of probowlers...One at each and Every Skill position on Offense and our playcalling is so stale and so damn predictable we can only score 13 points against a team that the patriots with WORSE TALENT EVERYWHERE managed to blow up like 40+ on.

And then the whole Talin on Hilton when Chris Harris shut him down to like 37 yards or something the first time we played and Beat them earlier this year. Our team Improved by 35 fold just off the fact that Gase and Del Rio are gone. We get another 15 fold increase for Kubes and Co actually getting our guys to come out and play like the F'n care. The only real loss was Franklin. Knighton (who I wanted to keep) is not a perfect scheme fit. Rahim is average. JT imo will be replaced by whoever we draft this year. Sure the actual position of TE may not score 12 tds, but the run game will be improved. Our offense will be improved and the Oline is going to get a shot of Power with at least 1 High Rd pick, but more than likely two.

In any event no team fielded even close to the number of Probowl players we have and we only lost 1 by my count to FA...In addition we get two back (vasquez who played out of position and Trevathan). Our team is still the best and most talented in the league. Throw in a little coaching (guys who are proven at things like calling plays, proven at having top notch defenses, coaches who are proven at adjusting as the game goes and get the guys to play with a passion) and I think its easy to see why Peyton came back. Most see the fact that we didnt sign the biggest name players and think that we are going an economy or re-build or are a lesser team. I think once the season starts they will see us run right through nearly every single team. We are going to be the team this year that we should have been last year and the Baltimore/Rahim year.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

I think people are overlooking how incredibly bad Manning was the last half of the season, he looked like he aged 10 years in one season. You can't blame coaches for a a guy throwing ducks and having absolutely no arm strength left

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The real questions about Peyton is:

1) Was he injured and just didn't let on how bad it really was or
    2) Is he a crummy quarterback in poor weather conditions?

I worry that the answer is 2 and that's why his playoff record and record in cold weather is so abysmal. In which case, he's not the right quarterback to be playing in Denver in January (or Foxboro or Pittsburgh or Cincinnati...).
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    The real questions about Peyton is:

1) Was he injured and just didn't let on how bad it really was or
    2) Is he a crummy quarterback in poor weather conditions?

I worry that the answer is 2 and that's why his playoff record and record in cold weather is so abysmal. In which case, he's not the right quarterback to be playing in Denver in January (or Foxboro or Pittsburgh or Cincinnati...).
    The cold weather thing is overblown. The real question is was Manning's poor play down the stretch due to injury or age? My feeling is that he couldn't have aged that suddenly, considering how great his 2013 and first half of 2014 were. I'll have to assume it was the injury at this point, and that he'll be playing up to his usual level next year but he will be one year older ...

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 10m

Broncos get 4 compensation picks - one more in 4th - 1 in 6th - 2 in 7th

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 10m

With compensatory picks, the @Broncos' 2015 Draft haul now includes 10 selections: 1 each in Rounds 1, 2, 3 & 4; 2 each in Rounds 5, 6 & 7.

Andrew Mason retweeted
    Patrick Smyth @psmyth12 · 13m

Broncos awarded four compensatory picks in 2015 NFL Draft: 4th round, 6th round and two 7th round selections.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    I think people are overlooking how incredibly bad Manning was the last half of the season, he looked like he aged 10 years in one season. You can't blame coaches for a a guy throwing ducks and having absolutely no arm strength left

Its true he was bad, but if you watch the tape you'll see a Manning that was clearly hurt. All you have to do is watch his feet because he has the best feet in football at the position and he works at it all the time. Last year, you see Peyton trying to throw off his back foot on a number of occasions once he was hurt.........thats a Peyton no one has seen before.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

15. The Following User High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

So now we have 10 picks and the undrafted to pull from. These picks can really pay off.

Look for college production. Get at least three Olinemen.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post

No arm strength? I watched him Overthrow manny 2x and DT once, a solid 40-50 yards down field.

A guy who threw for 33 Tds the first 8 weeks of the season does not just drop off and throw 6 the rest of the way because of age.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Bob Howsam

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    No arm strength? I watched him Overthrow manny 2x and DT once, a solid 40-50 yards down field. A guy who threw for 33 Tds the first 8 weeks of the season does not just drop off and throw 6 the rest of the way because of age.
    He didn't throw 33 TDs in the first eight weeks or six the last eight weeks but that's not important.
    "Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer" -Arnold

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information