Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: OTC: Broncos 2015 salary cap outlook

Default OTC: Broncos 2015 salary cap outlook

Over the Cap has been doing write ups on each team as they head into FA and the draft. Today was our turn. They advocate re-signing DT (to a long term deal ASAP), Franklin and Moore, letting go of JT and Knighton, renegotiating with Marshall and Miller, and releasing Caldwell and Clark (though they refer to him as Chris Chester in the article, for some reason, but I assume they mean Clark).

Still I would not expect the team to make a major splash in free agency. I think they will look for a cheaper option as replacement for Thomas, perhaps being linked with Owen Daniels as a short term contract while developing a younger player. I would guess they will look for depth along the defensive line and possibly linebacker, where the costs won’t be so high. If the Raiders release Antonio Smith he would be a natural fit in Denver, essentially a swap of Knighton for Smith, who should be very familiar with the team’s new staff. This is a good free agent group of right tackles and I could see that being an option as well.

In the draft it should be all about bringing youth onto the defense and bringing in a young receiver or tight end. The team can’t fal into the trap of getting old chasing a ring and then wake up post Manning with a roster of 30 year olds and no young players with experience to take over. Right now the window for many of the players on the team is an extra two years, at most, of peak performance. This is the time to begin the process of identifying the veterans that you can replace in 2016 and 2017 with younger, cheaper, and better options to help transition the Broncos into the post Manning era.
    The rest: http://overthecap.com/broncos-2015-salary-cap-outlook/

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Caldwell, Clark, Ramirez, Colquitt. If they keep Moore they should consider moving Bruton, if they let Moore walk they should consider actually letting Bruton earn his keep on defense. Paying Colquitt and Bruton that much on ST's as bad as Denver's is a luxury.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Caldwell, Clark, Ramirez, Colquitt. If they keep Moore they should consider moving Bruton, if they let Moore walk they should consider actually letting Bruton earn his keep on defense. Paying Colquitt and Bruton that much on ST's as bad as Denver's is a luxury.
    In before "ST's are just as important as. . .".
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

I would really like them to go with BPA, especially in this draft for the reasons cited. Adding talent ads competition. Competition adds excellence.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I thought Bruton looked good when he had to step up on D last year.

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

I absolutely agree with your four cuts. Easiest dead weight and/or too expensive for their production

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by daveaitken18 View Post
    I thought Bruton looked good when he had to step up on D last year.
    He stood out more than the Dream to me, and I don't mind Moore either.
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

In before "ST's are just as important as. . .".
    They are, which is why Colquitt should have been cut a year ago.

13. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

I am torn on cutting Colquitt simply for cap room. Production? Yes.

We still need a punter, if we cut him to save a bit over a mill and sign a new punter for a bit over a mil, you have saved bottom line cash but not cap room.

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

We still need a punter, if we cut him to save a bit over a mill and sign a new punter for a bit over a mil, you have saved bottom line cash but not cap room.
    I think Colquitt is a prime candidate for a pay cut. If he refuses, then cut him. Not much talent out there a far as punters go.

OT- We know there are several candidates to possiblt be cut or released. Wonder what the holdup is in doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

His cap number is 3.75 million. Now, if we cut him, we take a 1.5 million cap hit (not ideal) but save 2.25 million. I'm assuming we can get a decent punter for less than that. If we designate him as a post-June 1 cut, that spreads the 1.5 million hit over two years, and we save a cool 3 million on the cap this year. He's just plain not that good, so I imagine we could pick up a punter for much less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I think Colquitt is a prime candidate for a pay cut. If he refuses, then cut him. Not much talent out there a far as punters go.

OT- We know there are several candidates to possiblt be cut or released. Wonder what the holdup is in doing so?
    I'm guessing Elway is waiting until right at the start of free agency, as he's said as much regarding our big ticket guys. There will be a flurry of activity by next week, one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    His cap number is 3.75 million. Now, if we cut him, we take a 1.5 million cap hit (not ideal) but save 2.25 million. I'm assuming we can get a decent punter for less than that. If we designate him as a post-June 1 cut, that spreads the 1.5 million hit over two years, and we save a cool 3 million on the cap this year. He's just plain not that good, so I imagine we could pick up a punter for much less than that.
    Unless I am missing something, the way I see it is, yes, we are maybe say only paying a punter 1.5 now instead of 3.75. That sounds a lot better and s much better on the bottom line that Bowlen is paying. As far as CAP room goes, we have a 1.5 penalty and paying 1.5 punter, so have saved 750k in cap.

Now if able to spread that penalty over 2 years, little better.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Brandon McManus holds the Temple record for punt average with 45.5 yards, he's already on Denver's salary cap with something like $500.000. Cutting Colquitt would be pure savings, aside from dead money.
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

The team can’t fal into the trap of getting old chasing a ring and then wake up post Manning with a roster of 30 year olds and no young players with experience to take over. Right now the window for many of the players on the team is an extra two years, at most, of peak performance. This is the time to begin the process of identifying the veterans that you can replace in 2016 and 2017 with younger, cheaper, and better options to help transition the Broncos into the post Manning era.
    This is an almost perfect synopsis of the Broncos salary cap situation. They built the team with high priced FAs to win now with Peyton, and starting this season they are going to have to start to re-build with younger, cheaper players, mostly acquired through the draft.

They have already begun this process with drafting Bradley Roby and Cody Latimer (to eventually replace Aquib Talib and D.T.) and it will accelerate this off-season with a lot of guys from the 2014 roster leaving town: Orlando Franklin, Julius Thomas, Rahim Moore. 2016 I would expect the Broncos to take a hard look at cutting Aquib Talib and T.J. Ward. They have to make a huge decision regarding Von Miller as well. Is he worth the kind of $15+ million a year that he will command in the FA market?

Ideally they would re-sign him to a new contract this off-season rather than wait for his contract to expire next February, but they can't afford it.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information