Thread: The Case for 28- Jake Fisher

Default The Case for 28- Jake Fisher

Next up is OT Jake Fisher. You won't see him listed in the first round in too many mocks, but he's one of my favorite players in this draft. I think that we might look back 4 years from now and see that Jake Fisher was the best tackle of the bunch. The former high school tight end was converted to tackle his freshman season at Oregon. He spent his first 3 years playing right tackle, and was moved to the left side for his senior year. Fisher has the frame to add 10-15 more pounds for the pro game, but his strength was run blocking in his time at Oregon. He plays with a high motor and nasty disposition. His athletic ability is unquestioned.

Fisher blew up the combine. He measured 6'6 306, with an 82 inch wingspan. The 20 yard short shuttle is probably the best predictor of future success for offensive lineman. Jake had the 3rd best 20 yard short shuttle time for an offensive lineman in the last 15 years. He had the best 3 cone time among all offensive lineman, he tied for the 2nd best 10 yard split, had a 32.5 inch vertical jump, and posted the 2nd fastest 40 time. Keep in mind, this is all at 306. Fisher played his senior season at 299. I'd love to see this kid in Kubiak's zone blocking scheme.

How important was he to his offensive line? In the 13 games in which he played, the Ducks allowed 19 sacks. In the 2 games he missed, they allowed 12. His offensive line coach compares him to his former teammate who he also coached, Kyle Long. Long was drafted 2 years ago by the Bears and has made the pro bowl both seasons.
    "Jake emulates Kyle in a lot of ways, especially when it comes to a tough attitude. Jake's been in the system a bit longer, so I think he's a bit more polished than Kyle was as far as fundamentals," Greatwood said. "Jake is still growing as a player, too. He's a true senior and didn't have that redshirt year. He's athletic and could carry a lot more weight, maybe 20 pounds, and not lose anything."
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...o-nfl-starters

How is his attitude? It's exactly what you want out of your offensive lineman.
    Just as important was the snarl Fisher unleashed behind his facemask. He is not only big, 6 feet 6 and 300 pounds, he is ornery. Fisher was a little rusty in his return against UCLA, but he led the team in barking at the Bruins.

"Jake is a dog. ... I like it when he's mad," running back Byron Marshall said.

Said Johnstone: "He's not a win-one-for-the-Gipper guy. He doesn't give speeches. He's just a mean guy. He wants to go out there and mess people up, obviously in a legal way. He's not going to do anything cheap."
    Fisher describes his attributes as "confidence, a streak of meanness and an attitude that we're going to smash heads and we're going to have fun doing it."
    http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...31-column.html

Fisher is a franchise tackle in the making. He's not the best overall tackle in this draft right now. Still, I think he's the best fit for Denver's zone blocking scheme, and he may be one of the best in the league in 2-3 years. This kid has nothing but upside, talent, character, and grit. He loves the game, and loves to smash people. He's my kind of lineman.

2. The Following 9 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

You've sold me. I love OL with nasty dispositions. The meaner the better.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

I like Fisher. Ideally, Denver can trade down to top of the 2nd round and pick him up and add another pick. I don't know if he has the ability to be LT, but he should make a fine RT in the NFL.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

Bring him in!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Fisher would be a solid addition, but not sure the Broncos would use 28 on him.
    - Doesn't bother me what people think, the mere fact what I think seems to bother others speaks volumes about them more then myself! -

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    Fisher would be a solid addition, but not sure the Broncos would use 28 on him.
    He'll go higher than people have him slated right now. Green Bay may nab him if they lose Bulaga. NE could use more lineman, and the Hawks as well.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Like this way more than Sambrailo, he's a lot like Ogbuehi in that he has experience at RT and LT potential. Given the choice I'm taking Ogbuehi though, not a big fan of Oregons offense and Stink says their OL fits are hokie.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Like this way more than Sambrailo, he's a lot like Ogbuehi in that he has experience at RT and LT potential. Given the choice I'm taking Ogbuehi though, not a big fan of Oregons offense and Stink says their OL fits are hokie.
    Jake Long, Max Unger.....

Sometimes Stink out-thinks himself.

10. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Miller Time

I would love him just not in round 1......if you watch film Oregon OL got owned now and then. No real stand outs any where on line. I think his combine def helped him be in top 50 I stead if 3-4 round pick.

12. The Following User High Fived NightTerror218 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Jake Long, Max Unger.....

Sometimes Stink out-thinks himself.
    No he was talking about their system not players in general, wide splits and technical shit that went right over my head. He was talking about how Chip Kelly's system would have to change if he took a pro HC job.

Kyle Long, btw.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

14. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Kyle, Jake

Tomato, tomato

They both have a k and an e.

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Kyle, Jake

Tomato, tomato

They both have a k and an e.
    Jake Long might be Denver's RT next year.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

18. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Jake Long might be Denver's RT next year.
    That would be awesome.

20. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information