Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Klis: Broncos have nine positions of need

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Klis: Broncos have nine positions of need

INDIANAPOLIS — While roaming through the hallways of the NFL scouting combine, hiding behind large plants in the ornate lobbies, I have discovered the Broncos will have to fill six spots on offense.

The positions: left guard, center, right tackle, tight end, slot receiver and fullback.

Whispering while waiting in line at the many hotel Starbucks kiosks here, I also was able to determine the Broncos will have three vacancies on defense.

The positions: two defensive linemen and a safety.
    rest - interesting in regards to different players/positions
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...positions-need

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    null
    Classic Klis. Wade in his opening presser said this defense would play mostly gaps and you'd rarely see defensive linemen square with the o line. So we probably won't see traditional 5 techniques given Wolfe and Jacksons abilities to penetrate

4. The Following User High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

"You won't see a square stance from a defensive lineman, so to speak, where he's reading the play," defensive coordinator Wade Phillips said. "This is an attack defense. I think people will be excited about this defense and how aggressive they play."

6. The Following User High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    Classic Klis. Wade in his opening presser said this defense would play mostly gaps and you'd rarely see defensive linemen square with the o line. So we probably won't see traditional 5 techniques given Wolfe and Jacksons abilities to penetrate
    I think there is a very good chance that a move to a 3-4 is going to benefit Wolfe and Jackson immensely.

8. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

I think D line is one of our strengths right now.

NT- Sly
    DE- Wolfe
    DE- Malik

I also think that we're set at the slot. I expect to see Sanders move to the slot on 3 wide sets, with Latimer on the outside. Either that or Latimer plays the slot on 3 wide sets. We do need some depth.

10. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I trust Klis' reporting based on inside information (probably a member of our scouting dept) over what Wade Phillips publicly said in his first week on the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

NT- Sly
    DE- Wolfe
    DE- Malik

I also think that we're set at the slot. I expect to see Sanders move to the slot on 3 wide sets, with Latimer on the outside. Either that or Latimer plays the slot on 3 wide sets. We do need some depth.
    D-line won't be a strength once Knighton walks out the door. It's not a bare cupboard, but I don't view it as a strength. Nor do I expect to see Sanders play in the slot with any regularity.

12. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I trust Klis' reporting based on inside information (probably a member of our scouting dept) over what Wade Phillips publicly said in his first week on the job.

D-line won't be a strength once Knighton walks out the door. It's not a bare cupboard, but I don't view it as a strength. Nor do I expect to see Sanders play in the slot with any regularity.
    Let's see if Latimer is actually anything before we start pencilling him in at #2. Sanders was a beast last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I don't think the line will be hot garbage without him. I prefer to have him here but still think the line will be good.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

NT- Sly
    DE- Wolfe
    DE- Malik

. Buff you do understand that the system we run will be dictated by our defensive coordinator and that his style of play means we won't run a traditional 3-4. Traditional 5 techs won't penetrate the way wade's will

Of all of Denver's free agents Knighton the highest on my personal wish list.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default The Wade Phillips 3-4 defense

. Buff you do understand that the system we run will be dictated by our defensive coordinator and that his style of play means we won't run a traditional 3-4. Traditional 5 techs won't penetrate the way wade's will
    http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/1...e-phillips-3-4

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

I know it may not be the popular opinion, but the Broncos may be better off letting DT go after he plays on the franchise tag next season. With Sanders being a Pro Bowl caliber receiver and Latimer being a high draft pick with upside, it may be better for the team to let those two guys be our starters in the future with DT walking. The two reasons I feel that way are as follows.

1. Money- Even if those guys both turned into pro bowl WR's, they'll never be as costly to keep around as DT would be. We also have to keep in mind, we're going to have to give a lot of money to guys like Von by next off-season and potentially a good chunk of money to guys like Wolfe, Jackson, Trevathan and Marshall to keep them around. Should we really be investing that much into a receiver on a team that is in transition and is known for running mostly two WR sets?

2. Production- DT's a great talent and has done great things under Manning, but what was he before Manning came to down? People tend to forget that his first two years in the league were forgettable. Until the Steelers playoff game, there's not many times you can think of DT making a big play until we got Manning. Manning has a history of turning average receivers into good players, so I would caution the Broncos to give DT, who is a great talent, top dollar just because of the numbers he put up with a Hall of Fame QB.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRocker View Post
    I know it may not be the popular opinion, but the Broncos may be better off letting DT go after he plays on the franchise tag next season. With Sanders being a Pro Bowl caliber receiver and Latimer being a high draft pick with upside, it may be better for the team to let those two guys be our starters in the future with DT walking. The two reasons I feel that way are as follows.

1. Money- Even if those guys both turned into pro bowl WR's, they'll never be as costly to keep around as DT would be. We also have to keep in mind, we're going to have to give a lot of money to guys like Von by next off-season and potentially a good chunk of money to guys like Wolfe, Jackson, Trevathan and Marshall to keep them around. Should we really be investing that much into a receiver on a team that is in transition and is known for running mostly two WR sets?

2. Production- DT's a great talent and has done great things under Manning, but what was he before Manning came to down? People tend to forget that his first two years in the league were forgettable. Until the Steelers playoff game, there's not many times you can think of DT making a big play until we got Manning. Manning has a history of turning average receivers into good players, so I would caution the Broncos to give DT, who is a great talent, top dollar just because of the numbers he put up with a Hall of Fame QB.
    The last time Denver franchised a player they used the time workout a long term deal. I can see the same thing happening with Thomas. Sanders did a fantastic job last season as the second option but that doesn't make him first option receiving threat. When Thomas came back from his Achilles injury ended up leading the League the last half of the season in yards or ypc or maybe both. That was with having Tebow throwing him the ball. Also his first game back from injury which was Miami game he scored a touchdown late in the game.
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 02-23-2015 at 06:39 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRocker View Post

This post suggests Sanders came by his status on his own but DT is a product of Manning, am I right?

Btw, it is rarely better for a team to let an asset like DT walk for nothing, letting him walk is not smart. Get something for him.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

23. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    This post suggests Sanders came by his status on his own but DT is a product of Manning, am I right?

Btw, it is rarely better for a team to let an asset like DT walk for nothing, letting him walk is not smart. Get something for him.
    If Thomas' number are just a product of being Manning's receiver what does that say about Sanders? He didn't put up numbers like this past season until he got to Denver.

25. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information