Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Broncos tag DT?

Default Broncos tag DT?

He just posted on his facebook "blessed".

This is a rumor but everyone is saying he got the tag at 13 mill. I am glad he is going to be here another year but I was preferring a long term deal for him. Maybe he did get a LTC and not the tag. I don't know...

Can anyone confirm this?
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Not sure, but even if he's tagged they can continue to negotiate a long term deal.
    “If there are no animals in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers (paraphrased)

3. The Following User High Fived spikerman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    He just posted on his facebook "blessed".

This is a rumor but everyone is saying he got the tag at 13 mill. I am glad he is going to be here another year but I was preferring a long term deal for him. Maybe he did get a LTC and not the tag. I don't know...

Can anyone confirm this?
    Clady was tagged and then Denver gave him longer deal.

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

DT regularly posts "blessed".

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by broncofaninfla View Post
    DT regularly posts "blessed".
    yeah - i had to unfollow him when i was on FB because i found it so repetitive - that and "thank the lord for this day", i dont think i ever read anything of substance (although i pious person would argue that "blessed" is substantive in itself)

8. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

I don't think it's too far fetched to think maybe he will be gone after next year.

I hope they didnt tag him. Tag Julius instead and make his sulky ass stay here another year. Tag for TEs is way cheaper.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

It's Sunday. He probably went to church.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

We would have heard something by now.

14. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    I hope they didnt tag him. Tag Julius instead and make his sulky ass stay here another year. Tag for TEs is way cheaper.
    So you would rather tag a guy who is sulky than keep a guy that should be our top priority? The price of the tag is irrelevant to me. Just keep the better player.

16. The Following 3 Users High Fived gregbroncs For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by gregbroncs View Post
    So you would rather tag a guy who is sulky than keep a guy that should be our top priority? The price of the tag is irrelevant to me. Just keep the better player.
    I doubt he meant that considering his OP said he was hoping for a long term deal for DT, which would leave the tag open for JT. Best possible scenario for Denver, imo.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    I don't think it's too far fetched to think maybe he will be gone after next year.
    Anything is possible but it seems very unlikely.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Broncos expected to use franchise tag on Demaryius Thomas

Three Mississippi, two Mississippi, one Mississippi ... ready or not, Demaryius Thomas, here come the Broncos.

Regardless of how overpowering Thomas may be on the field, the Broncos will catch him in the game of franchise tag Monday and he will be it in a bargaining move that all but ensures the team of retaining their star wide receiver for the 2015 season.

Specifically, the Broncos are expected to use the "nonexclusive" tag on Thomas. The team could have used the "exclusive" tag that would have prohibited the player from negotiated with other teams.

The "nonexclusive" tags makes it possible for other teams to negotiate with Thomas, although the Broncos would have the right to match any offer. Moreover, should the Broncos decide against matching an offer, the team signing away Thomas would have to compensate Denver with two first-round draft picks.
    rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...maryius-thomas

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

20. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    #1 - It was expected all along that the Broncos would franchise DT and then try and negotiate a long term deal. The amount he would earn this year in any deal won't be less than the tag amount anyway, so there's no downside risk to doing this.

#2 - If Manning retires at the end of this year the Broncos will be looking to rebuild for the long-term and will be trying to dump some of the high priced talent they have got on the current roster and go with younger draft picks. Cody Latimer for instance could replace DT as the #1 WR down the line and would garner a lot less $.

Obviously, with Brock Osweiler or some other FA scrub as your starting QB they are not going to be competing for a championship anytime soon, so it's rebuilding time anyway. If that's the case it is hard to justify paying some of the high priced guys like DeMarcus Ware, T.J. Ward, possibly Aquib Talib (who might be replaced for a lot less money by Bradley Roby). They might even decide to part ways with Von Miller who will probably command something like $16 million a year in 2016.

Without Peyton the Broncos fall into the category of teams like the Buffalo Bills. Some really nice talent on both sides of the ball, but they just "lost out" in their efforts to sign FA QB Josh McCown. I don't know how you lose out by NOT signing Josh McCown, but that's the headline. They are supposed now to be considering re-tread Matt Cassel. So, their QB might be E.J. Manuel or Matt Cassel, in a division that has Tom Brady and the Super Bowl champions.

That's the kind of future Denver is going to face after Peyton rides off into the sunset.

The "nonexclusive" tags makes it possible for other teams to negotiate with Thomas, although the Broncos would have the right to match any offer. Moreover, should the Broncos decide against matching an offer, the team signing away Thomas would have to compensate Denver with two first-round draft picks.
    The NFL rules make it effectively a monopoly in restraint of trade in violation of out Anti-Trust laws, but that's how their game is played. So technically, a team could offer 2 first round picks for the rights to D.T. and then sign him to a huge "poison pill" contract that the Broncos couldn't match.

They could do that but no team is that stupid. Nobody is going to offer 2 #1 picks for D.T. When was the last time you saw a team trade 2 #1 picks for a non-QB? (Yes it can happen for a DRAFT pick who turns out to be a position player, but teams over-value their draft picks).

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information