View Poll Results: Should Pot Roast be Re-Signed?

Voters
48. This poll is closed
  • Yes

42 87.50%
  • No

6 12.50%
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Pot Roast- Re-Sign Him or Let Him Walk?

Default Pot Roast- Re-Sign Him or Let Him Walk?

Wade's one gap version of the 3-4 calls for a smaller quicker nose tackle. Sylvester Williams fits the prototype, and the Broncos just used a first round pick on him 2 years ago. Is it time to see if we can get maximum return on our investment, and spend the money it would take to sign Pot Roast elsewhere? Or do we bring back the big fella and let Wade adapt the defense to him?

On one hand-
    Knighton is 28 years old and playing the best ball of his career.
    He eats up double teams as well as anyone in the league.
    He moves well for a 350 pounder.

On the other hand-
    He seems to disappear in the big games.
    He's become more of a two down player.
    He's probably going to command 7-8 million per year to retain.
    He's made it very clear through his twitter that he'd be more than happy to play in Oakland.

What say you?

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

I say let him walk. Move Sly to the nose. He fits better there in Wade's aggressive one gap 3-4 defense. Use that 6-8 million towards an offensive lineman like Iupati or Bulaga.

Where does all of this talk about Sly being our starting nose come from? He couldn't even keep his starting job as the 3-tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Where does all of this talk about Sly being our starting nose come from? He couldn't even keep his starting job as the 3-tech.
    There's a guy named Wade Phillips. Elway and Kubiak just made him our defensive coordinator. He likes to use smaller quicker 3-4 nose tackles than your prototypical ones. Here's a tutorial by that same guy.
    http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/...is-3-4-Defense

Feel free to watch. It's free.

Adopted Bronco:
    Von Ware-Wolfe

Keep him but don't overpay. We need to draft a DT among other things.
    In Elway We Trust

7. The Following User High Fived CrazyHorse For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    There's a guy named Wade Phillips. Elway and Kubiak just made him our defensive coordinator. He likes to use smaller quicker 3-4 nose tackles than your prototypical ones. Here's a tutorial by that same guy.
    http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/...is-3-4-Defense

Feel free to watch. It's free.
    . I think you're overstating his propensity for smaller nose guards. He mentioned ted Washington and Jamal Williams both of whom were huge

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    . I think you're overstating his propensity for smaller nose guards. He mentioned ted Washington and Jamal Williams both of whom were huge
    Yeah, my takeaway from the video is that he'll cater the scheme to his player's talents. He even made it sound like it was an added luxury with Washington to be able to line him up over the center but still have him cover the A gap. Having a massive, agile, space eater like Knighton is an added luxury in a 3-4. He fits that bill of a Washington or a Williams type.

I'm more bullish on him now with the switch to the 3-4 than I was previously. I like T-Knight. I think he's been the key to our run stopping the last couple years, and he's 29 not 32, so he might have one more contract in him.

11. The Following 5 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHorse View Post
    Keep him but don't overpay. We need to draft a DT among other things.
    This is where I am; I'd like more poll options than just a flat yea or nay. Also, the biggest thing making him a two-down player is that he stuffs the run so WELL on those downs 3rd down is usually a long passing down, so we're in nickel or dime even more than we otherwise would be (which is still plenty.) That means emphasizing the pass to the almost total exclusion of the run, so Sly takes Knightons normal spot for the same reason Wolfe/Jackson slides in from DE to UT and Miller puts his hand down to play DE instead of SLB.

As far as disappearing in big games: He's a NT. No one's gonna beat lots of double teams from starting NFL linemen, but as long as he's drawing them he's doing his job; the question is why aren't all the guys that gives free shots making plays as intended? Still and so, ending NEs season and sending us to the SB was definitely a big game appearance.

It's also vital to remember we need a backup NT nearly as good as the starter and a third nearly as good as the backup, because pretty much EVERY 3-4 NT is a two-down player one way or another. "Smaller quicker" is a very relative term for any DT, but especially a 3-4 NT; we're still talking someone near or above 320 playing the most physically demanding and punishing defensive position: Almost no one can do that all game, so unless we want a big hole in the midde of our D when the starter's tired or hurt, we need a pretty good rotational reliever; it's not as simple as "we got The Guy; we're set."

So if he'll stay for reasonable money (however defined) we should pay it. Any proven FA of comparable ability will cost comparable money, and the draft's too much of a crap shoot to count on a rookie as the starting lynchpin of our whole D. But if he demands the key to Ft. Knox, there are other options on the team and probably in FA that wouldn't leave us naked even if we can't find a good replacement in the draft.

Since we're all but certain to go 3-4 though, the two places we don't dare cheap out are NT and OLB, because those are the 3-4s keys: If it lacks playmakers there, it can't have many elsewhere.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

13. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Wade's one gap version of the 3-4 calls for a smaller quicker nose tackle. Sylvester Williams fits the prototype, and the Broncos just used a first round pick on him 2 years ago. Is it time to see if we can get maximum return on our investment, and spend the money it would take to sign Pot Roast elsewhere? Or do we bring back the big fella and let Wade adapt the defense to him?

On one hand-
    Knighton is 28 years old and playing the best ball of his career.
    He eats up double teams as well as anyone in the league.
    He moves well for a 350 pounder.

On the other hand-
    He seems to disappear in the big games.
    He's become more of a two down player.
    He's probably going to command 7-8 million per year to retain.
    He's made it very clear through his twitter that he'd be more than happy to play in Oakland.

What say you?
    That's not what Phillips said about the nose tackle in his version 3-4. He said he's used both in his system.

15. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

If Wade has used both kinds of NTs give him both kinds of NTs. Btw, I think Potroast is just as quick of the ball aand agile s Williams.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

17. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Its gonna come down to $$$$$. If he gets a giant offer elsewhere (which I think will happen) the Broncos probably won't, and likely shouldn't, match it.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

19. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

He's gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Disappears in big games? He dominated the AFC Championship game last year, I don't really know what you're talking about.

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

IMHO I believe he should be Denver's top priority in Free Agency, and he said he'd take less to stay in Denver...so we'll see.

24. The Following 3 Users High Fived Lancane For This Post:

I'm not holding my breath that Phillips will get more out of Sly than Del Rio did. Look what Jack did with Malik and Knighton.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information