Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Peyton Manning really struggling with decision, says father Archie

Default Peyton Manning really struggling with decision, says father Archie

Well, this totally sucks. I thought Peyton coming back was a sure thing, but apparently he's struggling with the decision which may mean he's ready to hang it up:
    First, the positives. Peyton Manning's leg is getting rest and getting better, Peyton's father and Pro Football Hall of Famer Archie Manning told Woody Paige and Les Shapiro on The Denver Post's Sports Show. He and Peyton like Gary Kubiak, and it doesn't sound like Peyton has any concern about returning under a new regime.

"I don't think that's a big consideration," said the elder Manning.

Now, the negatives - or more accurately, the unknowns. That all doesn't necessarily mean Peyton is coming back. According to Pops, he's still mulling his decision. One outlet even put it this way -
    Derek Togerson @DerekNBCSD
    Follow

Just talked to Archie Manning. Told us Peyton has not decided if he'll play or retire yet and is really struggling with the decision. #NBC7
    Archie told another outlet, WEEI, that we can expect an answer sooner rather than later.

"I don't think he'll go a long time and take this thing to March, or anything like that," said Archie Manning. "He's got it on his mind, and I think he'll make a decision."

This is certainly the biggest blurb or nugget we've heard since Manning spoke himself about his uncertainty of coming back. Until this, everything we've heard has lent itself to Manning's return.

No matter how many "trustworthy sources" Woody Paige cites, father knows best. Either Peyton and family are keeping his thought process very close to the vest, or Manning really is struggling with his decision to return or retire.
    Small_milehighreport.com.minimal.83019
    More from Mile High Report
    There's still hope he will come back for another year of course after he lets the bitterness of the last game seep out of his system, but it's bound to take a toll on him to read all the negative reports about how he's washed up. And he probably didn't much enjoy playing with a serious injury during the last month of the season and playoffs.

The era of Brian Griese might be upon us earlier than we think, for all the "let's see what we have in Brock Osweiler" fans out there, you might get your wish. But be careful what you wish for! Just practice repeating after me "Brock Osweiler has just as strong an arm as Joe Montana!"
    Last edited by Cugel; 01-29-2015 at 05:34 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Archie Manning talks about Peyton Manning’s future

In Arizona for the Super Bowl, Archie Manning joined Woody Paige and Les Shapiro on The Sports Show on Thursday and offered some insight on his conversations with Peyton regarding his future.

While on the show, Archie refused to go into too much detail about Peyton’s decision of whether he’ll play next season but said that “he’s good” and has taken time to rest his injured thigh.
    rest - plus video
    http://sportsshow.denverpost.com/201...yton-s-future/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Dude got booed off the field after saving the franchise from QB oblivion, rub some dirt in it.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

If he's struggling with the decision then I think that's a strong indication that he won't return. Or that he will. Depending on how you look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    The era of Brian Griese might be upon us earlier than we think, for all the "let's see what we have in Brock Osweiler" fans out there, you might get your wish. But be careful what you wish for! Just practice repeating after me "Brock Osweiler has just as strong an arm as Joe Montana!"
    You know, you keep saying this as though Manning playing another year somehow means that that Osweiler will never see the field. I guess I just don't get what you think the choices are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

5. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Whatever he decides im ok with.

7. The Following 13 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    If he's struggling with the decision then I think that's a strong indication that he won't return. Or that he will. Depending on how you look at it.
    Yeah, there's so much involved in that decision in terms of career, legacy, health, opportunities—even distance from a Gulf Coast home that couldn't be more different than the Rockies—there's just no telling. The only one closer to or better informed about the situation than Archie is Peyton himself (and maybe his wife.) If neither of THEM know, anyone else is just guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Whatever he decides im ok with.
    Me, too, but if this is it, I'll spend the rest of my life wondering what would've happened had Kubes, Denny and Wade gotten together with Manning sooner (and I already wonder about that plenty; a decent QB was the only thing they were missing after 2011, and Houstons retractable roof stadium is pratically New Orleans West (or New Orleans is Houston East.)) It can't help getting harder every season though; it's easy for fans to say, "Wait till next year...!" but we're not the ones limping off the field as our home fans boo or being humiliated in front of literally the whole world for 3˝ hours.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Occam's Razor -

Peyton Manning - uber egomaniac and historian of the game - will not go out like he did. I'd bet any sum of $$ that he's our starting QB next season.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post

You know, you keep saying this as though Manning playing another year somehow means that that Osweiler will never see the field. I guess I just don't get what you think the choices are.
    What on earth are you talking about? Reality:

#1 - If Peyton retires it's the Osweiler era in 2015.
    #2 - If Peyton returns for 2015 then it's the Osweiler era in 2016 of course.

The only way Osweiler doesn't return is if Peyton returns for 2016 and it certainly doesn't look like he will play out his contract right now. At most 1 more year.

The ONLY thing I am saying is that Chad Henne was also a #57 pick of the draft and that's about what you can expect. Mediocre to crap QB is what you get with any pick later than about #35 at the top of the 2nd round.

That's just been the history of the last 14 years and there's no reason to think that Brock Osweiler is some kind of exception.

There is certainly a possiblity that Osweiler is going to be the next Tom Brady, but that's like saying you have a chance to win the powerball lotto if you buy a ticket. Technically it's true of course, someone has to win after all, but it's just not going to happen to you.

12. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Von

So do you think Elway would have made the moves he made because he thought peyton would come back or because he thought peyton would retire, or he would have made the moves regardless? I'm inclined to think he made the moves so we can win a SB and I don't see that happening without peyton. Just MHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    More Americans have been killed by New England Patriots players than by Ebola.

Occam's Razor -

Peyton Manning - uber egomaniac and historian of the game - will not go out like he did. I'd bet any sum of $$ that he's our starting QB next season.
    The problem is he doesn't have unilateral control over HOW he goes out, only WHEN—and what he control he has over both diminishes annually. We all remember and respect Elway going out on top, but how many other egomaniacal uberhistorians have done that? Eventually, everyone reaches a point where they realize, however reluctantly and painfully, they'll NEVER be on top again no matter HOW long they try to hang on, and will only look increasingly pathetic trying until teams stop answering their calls. That point often comes during a long painful offseason rehab.

I personally think Manning will keep going as long as he thinks he has a legit shot at another Ring, and he'll never have a better chance again, so I personally expect he'll return. If he does, and plays well, I'll have to eat my oft-repeated words about "2 or MAYBE 3 years before he retires or we wish he had" and few things would please me more. But I'm not waiting for and feeling my thigh muscles slowly grow back together around scar tissue while contemplating it.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Archie did a million interviews today, and after talking to him, some people reported that Peyton would be back and others that he wouldn't. I truly think he hasn't made up his mind yet. The local radio interview I heard with Archie was very non-committal - he said things like, "He's going to take his time" and "He always makes good decisions", so it's really hard to read anything into that. I'll be interested to hear any Peyton soundbites tomorrow when he accepts his Bart Starr award.

Quote Originally Posted by OB View Post
    So do you think Elway would have made the moves he made because he thought peyton would come back or because he thought peyton would retire, or he would have made the moves regardless? I'm inclined to think he made the moves so we can win a SB and I don't see that happening without peyton. Just MHO.
    I think he makes those moves regardless. The only moves he's made THIS young offseason are replacing the whole awful coaching staff with a great one, and, while the old one proved Manning could never win a SB with them, his retirement would make upgrading them even more vital. Over HALF OUR STARTING ROSTER was named to this years Pro Bowl and/or the last one; if Foxco more often than not couldn't win ANY playoff games with that, what will they do with less? Guess Chicago and Oakland are about to find out; I almost pity them, but they knew what they were getting.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    What on earth are you talking about? Reality:

#1 - If Peyton retires it's the Osweiler era in 2015.
    #2 - If Peyton returns for 2015 then it's the Osweiler era in 2016 of course.

The only way Osweiler doesn't return is if Peyton returns for 2016 and it certainly doesn't look like he will play out his contract right now. At most 1 more year.

The ONLY thing I am saying is that Chad Henne was also a #57 pick of the draft and that's about what you can expect. Mediocre to crap QB is what you get with any pick later than about #35 at the top of the 2nd round.

That's just been the history of the last 14 years and there's no reason to think that Brock Osweiler is some kind of exception.

There is certainly a possiblity that Osweiler is going to be the next Tom Brady, but that's like saying you have a chance to win the powerball lotto if you buy a ticket. Technically it's true of course, someone has to win after all, but it's just not going to happen to you.
    Ok, so it's either 2015 or 2016. Does that make some sort of huge difference? You keep warning us about Osweiler as though foreknowledge will somehow prevent the inevitable.

If it's 2015, and he sucks, we suck, at least we have a high draft pick to start over. I'd rather do that sooner than later with the other talent we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I want to be sympathetic, but one should not have sympathy for inauthentic sorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    Its like Save the Rainforest. People aren't saying, 'F**ck those other forests', its just that this particular forest is in worse shape right now.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Occam's Razor -

Or maybe he is smart enough to know that it will only get worse. I doubt he wants to embarrass himself any more than he already did the last few months.

In other words, double or nothing on the $10 you owe me.

#highroller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

19. The Following 4 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Had to have been a very discouraging year, having basically everyone from the coaches to the players quit.

And probably really embarrassing to be so bad while hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information