Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Wade Phillips is our new DC.

Adopted Bronco:
    Netane Muti

I like it!

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    And no, Wade isn't a sexy hire, but the idea is to get better.

Dennison - better offensive mind than Gase.
    Phillips - better defensive mind than Del Rio.
    Kubiak - better motivator and gameplanner than Fox? We'll see.

But if you're better on both sides of the ball than the coaches who left - and got IMMEDIATELY hired by teams around the league because they were the best on the market - then it has to be considered a good start to the offseason.

I'm satisfied. Now go patch our holes, John. I wanna bathe in Patroit tears and pluck Seahawk feather outta my teeth, if you don't mind.
    It's best to cook the seachicken before otherwise you run the risk of salmonella poisoning.

3. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

I actually like the Wade hire as our DC much more than the Kubiak hire as our HC. However, most coaches in the NFL succeed on their 2nd or 3rd team.....so having Kubiak "learn" on Houston's dime might very well pay off for us in a big way.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

5. The Following 4 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post
    Actually, Joel, that was the pass rush blowing up on the Super Bowl launchpad. Defense couldn't get off the field on third down.
    The defense didn't lose 2 fumbles and throw 2 Ints. It's hard to overcome 4 turnovers in any game, and the only way to do it in a Conference Championship is if the OTHER teams D collapses ala GB.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

7. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    The defense didn't lose 2 fumbles and throw 2 Ints. It's hard to overcome 4 turnovers in any game, and the only way to do it in a Conference Championship is if the OTHER teams D collapses ala GB.
    Let's not turn yet another thread into a super bowl re-hash argument please. This thread is about Wade being our new D coordinator.

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

I can't wait to see what Von and Demarcus can do together when they're used the right way. If nothing else, this defense will be fun to watch next year.

11. The Following 6 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I actually like the Wade hire as our DC much more than the Kubiak hire as our HC. However, most coaches in the NFL succeed on their 2nd or 3rd team.....so having Kubiak "learn" on Houston's dime might very well pay off for us in a big way.
    I'm just the opposite. I like the Kubiak hiring the best because I think he's a leader.

13. The Following 3 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Seems fans wanted these coaches based on familiarity instead of actual results. I like Kubiak and Dennison alot but what have they done since they weren't with Shanahan? What did Wade do post Broncos?
    I can't speak for others, but wanted them because of familiarity WITH consistent actual results.

Kubes and Denny succeeded not just with Denver, but BOTH teams they've coached since. It's not their fault Schaub could never be more than a scared pick-machine—basically Orton with a stronger arm—despite the efforts of coaches who made Pro Bowlers of him, Jake Plummer and Brain Griese. Their SOLE other failing in Houston was the D, and Wade took them from worst to 2nd best in a single year. But let's not forget that was a 2-14 expansion team when Kubiak arrived; just getting them to .500 in two seasons was an accomplishment.

Then Schaub imploded and three Pro Bowlers went on IR, so their season tanked, and that ONE bad year under awful circumstances was enough to get them all fired despite division titles each of the previous two years. So Kubiak and Dennison went to Baltimore and turned a bottom ranked offense into a top ten offense better than EVERY Ravens offense except the inaugural one 20 years ago. That was a turnaround nearly as big as Wades defensive one in Houston, and good enough to get a team falling apart last year to the divisional round this year: Again, quite an accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Fox at least had 2 SB appearances. One with Delhomme and one with Manning. The blowout last year was on him? He didnt get blown out with Jake... just curious on why these guys are the best fit.
    He got blown out with Jake until Carolinas first 4th qtr series, when he finally stopped the three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust into NEs solid defensive wall thing and let Delhomme unleash Tebow Time: So they scored 19 pts in the final period and turned a 10 pt deficit into a 4 pt lead only to lose by a FG because Fox waited too long to open up his playbook when necessary. Speaking of Tebow Time, he got to that SB the same way he got Tebow to the divisional round: A 3-0 OT record to reach the playoffs, then ANOTHER OT win to advance. Winning lots of coin tosses isn't great coaching.

As for his other SB: THREE different HCs have ridden Manning to a SB, so what did Fox accomplish by being one of them but having a FAR better D? Give Dungy or Caldwell that team and it's a blowout the OTHER way, but the TWO seasons Fox couldn't even win A playoff game with basically the same squad is far more telling than a first ballot HoF QB carrying him to a SB.
    Last edited by Joel; 01-29-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

15. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Let's not turn yet another thread into a super bowl re-hash argument please. This thread is about Wade being our new D coordinator.
    This part's a discussion of the '05 AFCCG, not the SB (though, for the record, I'm pretty sure we beat the snot out of Seattle that year if we don't explode on the home launchpad vs. Pitt.)

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

I'll admit that I am a blind homer most of the time, but even I was having a hard time mustering the excitement of Fox and Del Rio coming back. I love the moves so far, everything is comfortable yet fresh at the same time. I don't know how this will translate next season (a lot still depends on Manning's return) but I love the idea of going to a more dynamic 3-4 defense. I think Miller and Ware will shine. And suddenly I want Pot Roast back to anchor that line.

18. The Following 7 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

The only part of the new staff I am questionable about is new DB Coach Joe Woods, the players expressed that they wanted Rod Woodson to return in that capacity and Woods style which is usually Tampa 2 does not really play to our defensive back's strengths, man corners which it could be argued that our top three cornerbacks are don't exactly fit the idea of that particular scheme. Not to mention that defensive backs everywhere he's coached have struggled during his tenures with those teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    The only part of the new staff I am questionable about is new DB Coach Joe Woods, the players expressed that they wanted Rod Woodson to return in that capacity and Woods style which is usually Tampa 2 does not really play to our defensive back's strengths, man corners which it could be argued that our top three cornerbacks are don't exactly fit the idea of that particular scheme. Not to mention that defensive backs everywhere he's coached have struggled during his tenures with those teams.
    I didn't see thta we hired Woods. I have to admit, I had pretty high hopes of Rod Woodson as well.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

21. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post
    I'll admit that I am a blind homer most of the time, but even I was having a hard time mustering the excitement of Fox and Del Rio coming back. I love the moves so far, everything is comfortable yet fresh at the same time. I don't know how this will translate next season (a lot still depends on Manning's return) but I love the idea of going to a more dynamic 3-4 defense. I think Miller and Ware will shine. And suddenly I want Pot Roast back to anchor that line.
    I seem to be on the other end of the spectrum. I cannot bring myself to muster any excitement for a single coaching hire beyond Kubes. It seems like a lot of convenience/relationship hires and guys who were not in demand anywhere else. I worry that nepotism could stand in the way of bringing in the best talent.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    I didn't see thta we hired Woods. I have to admit, I had pretty high hopes of Rod Woodson as well.
    Yeah, PFT reported it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-backs-coach/

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I seem to be on the other end of the spectrum. I cannot bring myself to muster any excitement for a single coaching hire beyond Kubes. It seems like a lot of convenience/relationship hires and guys who were not in demand anywhere else. I worry that nepotism could stand in the way of bringing in the best talent.
    I think Wade has shown success in his defenses where ever he has been the DC. Known as one of the very best. Nepetism and coaches hiring whom they are familiar with, is the reason he doesn't have a job right now. Not beacuse of his coaching abilities.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information