Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Wade Phillips is our new DC.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Of course. But if what he is saying is true, why are we hiring an HC that was an OC 17 years ago? Why are most of the better coaches in the NFL, over 60? My statement to him wasn't JUST to him, but it's a comment on the general understanding of the game. Defensive concepts haven't changed. Even with the upped pace offenses and their speed of no huddle, defensive concepts today are the same as they were 50 years ago. That's all i'm sayin'.
    How many Super Bowls has Wade won with his defenses? I'll give you a hint, it's not more than zero. And he's been coaching longer than I've been alive.

I don't want to get too down on the guy - he might be just the guy we need... But I think there's plenty of room for debate as to whether he's the right guy... And plenty of debate as to how the increased passing/defensive rules have changes the nature of the game.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    How many Super Bowls has Wade won with his defenses? I'll give you a hint, it's not more than zero. And he's been coaching longer than I've been alive.

I don't want to get too down on the guy - he might be just the guy we need... But I think there's plenty of room for debate as to whether he's the right guy... And plenty of debate as to how the increased passing/defensive rules have changes the nature of the game.
    Hmm.. interesting perspective. So Super Bowl winning DCs are the only ones that seem to have proved to be good enough? It's kinda strange to me though, since the alternative idea given is to pick a younger coach, that hasn't won a Super Bowl as a DC.

As far as the rest.... I already know the defenses are the same. But you are right, a topic for another day.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post

So Greg Robinson is your guy? :joke:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    WADE does not fire me up. How much ingenuity is left in the man? In this day and age, you have to be able to scheme well enough to be the difference maker.

I dont see this. I hope Im wrong and that our talent will dictate success...............but Im not real enthused. Hes a veteran thought thats for sure.
    Dick Labeau was well into 70's by the time Steelers won their last two Super Bowls.

6. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    Hmm.. interesting perspective. So Super Bowl winning DCs are the only ones that seem to have proved to be good enough? It's kinda strange to me though, since the alternative idea given is to pick a younger coach, that hasn't won a Super Bowl as a DC.
    Bit of a Catch 22, yeah.

Let's REALLY look at Wades DC history though. It really starts when he his dads defensive line coach with the Oilers, a team that reached the AFCCG two years straight only to lose for the same reason they were wildcards both times: Because they shared a division with the Steelers dynasty that won 4 SBs in a decade, including 2 against the Cowboys dynasty that was 2-3 in SBs during that same decade (but 2-1 against everyone but Pitt.) Depsite all that, Houston might well have won that second AFCCG if not for a call so bad it made replay review legal:

A year later, Bud Adams blew up that team as "punishment" for not reaching the SB* so Wade found himself DC for the Aints when he joined Bum and Earl Campbell there; ask Peyton or his dad what missing SBs with THAT team proved: http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enha...9435929-17.jpg Wades dad finally gave up, retired and let Wade succeed him for the rest of the season before moving on as Phillys DC.

The Eagles were the ONLY current NFCE team not to win MULTIPLE SBs from 1982-1994, which made Wades team whipping boys for Gibbs' 'Skins dynasty and Parcells' Giants. Both included Denver among their SB victims BEFORE Wade joined the Broncos, but he'd made it to Denver by the time Walshs '9ers dynasty added Denver to 3 victims. But Denver reached 3 SBs before and during Wades DC tenure because of Elway and a great D, losing DESPITE them, while SF, NY and Washington between them won 8 SBs in just 11 years: NO ONE but each other could stop those dynasties.

After that he became Bills DC just before Jim Kelly turned 35 and Thurman Thomas 30; Wades D was ranked in the top 10 all save his first year, but the once elite no-huddle K Gun offense was out of ammo, never ranking better than average, and usually far worse: Is that the top ten defenses fault? Next stop Atlanta, Wades only truly bad showing, where an awful team went to the SB the second year after Reeves and Wade came in, then immediately went crashing back to the bottom and stayed their till it got the coaches fired.

On to SD, where Wade again produced a top ten all but his first season as DC, despite Martyball leaving it on the field too often and to close to its goal line; when Turner replaced Shottenheimer and brought in Rivera as DC, those top ten SD defenses quickly fell into the bottom ten the next two years before Rivera got himself an HC job by lifting the to #1 for a single season. By then Wade was in Houston and we know the story: From worst to second best in a single year as defense increasingly became the defining feature of what had previously been an offense-first team under Kubes.

I'm just not seeing much to criticize there. Maybe he chose poor HCs/GMs/owners, but he's with three very good ones now, so I expect great things.

*After hand-picking his new team, Adams would blow IT up for the same reason a decade later, hand-pick Steve McNair to succeed Warren Moon, finally reach a SB and STILL come up One Yard Short of OT: Maybe the Oilers problem was neither players, coaches nor even GMs, but the guy who hired each and promptly fired each of they didn't take him all the way as fast as he wanted.
    Last edited by Joel; 01-30-2015 at 05:55 PM.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

8. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

*After hand-picking his new team, Adams would blow IT up for the same reason a decade later, hand-pick Steve McNair to succeed Warren Moon, finally reach a SB and STILL come up One Yard Short of OT: Maybe the Oilers problem was neither players, coaches nor even GMs, but the guy who hired each and promptly fired each of they didn't take him all the way as fast as he wanted.
    The problem was that Elmer Fudd Adams, while firing some assistant coaches (including DC Jim Eddy) forgot to fire the John Fox of his day, Jack Pardee, after that Wild Card debacle against Buffalo. He should have done that, and brought in Dan Reeves, who was just fired in Denver.

Then, if he would have brought in a guy like Buddy Ryan to run the D, it wouldn't have been as bad because Ryan wouldn't have been able to get away with the things that he did under John Fox, uh, I mean Jack Pardee (it is so easy to get them confused.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Boring.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

11. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Boring.
    How about that Dunkin Donuts Coffee???...LOL

13. The Following User High Fived Lancane For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    How about that Dunkin Donuts Coffee???...LOL
    Solid until the stupid owner went and messed with it.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

15. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information