Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rick Dennison hiring a stroke of genius by Broncos

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Rick Dennison hiring a stroke of genius by Broncos

GLENDALE, Ariz. — If he talked more, more people might know Rick Dennison is one of the NFL's smartest men.

Then again, the fact Dennison doesn't talk much is just one reason he's so smart.

There are others. His father was the University of Montana's president for 20 years, so smarts is in Dennison's blood. While playing tight end at Colorado State, Dennison, 56, got his master's degree in engineering.

He was smart enough to put all that education aside and pick up the linebacker position for the Broncos from 1982-90.
    AND

Which leads to the other adjustment for the Broncos' offensive coaching staff. This one is with their quarterback, Peyton Manning. Even if Manning comes back for his fourth Broncos season as expected, he won't be bringing along the type of mobility preferred in Kubiak's offensive system.

"You know, Matt Schaub didn't either, and he was able to do it," Dennison said about the former Texans quarterback. "There's enough variety in the offense that we'll figure it out. You always want to work to the players' strengths."
    rest - interesting
    http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...-stroke-genius

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Huh, I knew Denny's smart, but didn't know he's the son of a state university president and holds an engineering masters. It takes a pretty sharp deep thinker for even a bachelors in most engineering disciplines, especially when anyone good enough to make an NFL roster and be the starting LB on 3 SB teams can usually skate by with a communications or kinesiology major they may or may not complete. Didn't know he played TE in college and converted to NFL LB either; that means the only offensive position he hasn't played or coached is RB and WR, which explains a lot.

For all that though, I'm not sure rehiring counts as a stroke of genius, because he's only coached three seasons away from Kubiak, and that was only because of succeeding him as Broncos OC when Kubiak took Houstons head coaching job. The stroke of genius will be when some team offers DENNISON a head coaching job, which will probably be soon; he's too good, too smart and has experience with too many different positions on the field in addition to running whole offenses here and in Houston. Unless he opts to be an offensive Dick LeBeau, we may have to enjoy him while it lasts; looks like Kubiak all over again.

If that happens though, it'll almost certainly because of great and consistent offensive success in Denver first, so I couldn't feel bad about it; he's given us a lot and deserves his own team. Just, y'know, help this one win a few more championships first....
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Dennison shits juggernaut.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

I was hoping we'd hire Dennison instead of Fox 4 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Still unsure why we didn't; when we rehired Kubiak Legwold did a Dove Valley video report for ESPN, and one of the things he noted was that we'd probably bring Dennison back not only because he always stays with Kubiak, but because he reportedly blew the Broncos away at his HC interview back then. Yet we went with the "not too shabby" guy who'd just been fired because of his 2-14 season.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    At the time hiring Fox was the best move. He was experienced head coach who had some success in the League.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    At the time hiring Fox was the best move. He was experienced head coach who had some success in the League.
    I don't necessarily disagree. I was just really high on Dennison.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Still unsure why we didn't; when we rehired Kubiak Legwold did a Dove Valley video report for ESPN, and one of the things he noted was that we'd probably bring Dennison back not only because he always stays with Kubiak, but because he reportedly blew the Broncos away at his HC interview back then. Yet we went with the "not too shabby" guy who'd just been fired because of his 2-14 season.
    And then won four division titles, took the worst quarterback ever to play to a playoff game AND WON A PLAYOFF GAME with him, and won an AFC Championship.

Your revisionist history is idiotic.

There's a reason Dennison has never been a head coach. Just like there's a reason the Goodmans never worked again. And it's not because they are better than what we have/had.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

12. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    And then won four division titles, took the worst quarterback ever to play to a playoff game AND WON A PLAYOFF GAME with him, and won an AFC Championship.

Your revisionist history is idiotic.

There's a reason Dennison has never been a head coach. Just like there's a reason the Goodmans never worked again. And it's not because they are better than what we have/had.
    Dude, 2011 was a fluke. It took miracle plays (like Marion Barber running out of bounds) and 60-yard field goals. And, you can give the credit to a Mr. Peyton Manning for the last three years. Fox rode Manning just like Reeves rode Elway.

14. The Following User High Fived 7DnBrnc53 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I don't recall anyone saying that Dennison blew them away however, Elway in his press conference on the "mutual parting of ways" said Fox provided stability in the locker room. Elway also seemed to indicate that's reasons that went with a veteran head coach over one who had never been a head coach before. Yes there are reasons why Dennison hasn't had a head coaching position but I'm sure there isn't anyone here who knows exactly why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I don't recall anyone saying that Dennison blew them away however, Elway in his press conference on the "mutual parting of ways" said Fox provided stability in the locker room. Elway also seemed to indicate that's reasons that went with a veteran head coach over one who had never been a head coach before. Yes there are reasons why Dennison hasn't had a head coaching position but I'm sure there isn't anyone here who knows exactly why that is.
    Legwold said in the ESPN video that Dennison "aced his interview" (direct quote.) That suggests the issue was lack of head coaching experience. Fox may have brought something stable, but so does a hearse.

Quote Originally Posted by 7DnBrnc53 View Post
    Dude, 2011 was a fluke. It took miracle plays (like Marion Barber running out of bounds) and 60-yard field goals. And, you can give the credit to a Mr. Peyton Manning for the last three years. Fox rode Manning just like Reeves rode Elway.
    At the same time, you are taking away (or attempting, and doing it poorly) the good coaching it takes to get success in the NFL. Dungy had how many years with Manning, and how many Super Bowls did he take him to?

Don't use this "ride his jock" thing too hard, considering you can say the same thing about every coach that has had a great QB. Btw, how was that "Riding the jock" reasoning work when he took Delhomme to the Super Bowl?

Lets give Fox the credit he deserves and EARNED as the Broncos HC.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

18. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Legwold said in the ESPN video that Dennison "aced his interview" (direct quote.) That suggests the issue was lack of head coaching experience. Fox may have brought something stable, but so does a hearse.
    So taking a quote from a third party that wasn't even in the room, and a writer that likes to use dramatic words for effect, as your source that he "blew the Broncos away??" Seriously Joel? I mean, you have stretched a LOT of things before, but this is just kinda silly.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

20. The Following User High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravage!!! View Post
    At the same time, you are taking away (or attempting, and doing it poorly) the good coaching it takes to get success in the NFL. Dungy had how many years with Manning, and how many Super Bowls did he take him to?

Don't use this "ride his jock" thing too hard, considering you can say the same thing about every coach that has had a great QB. Btw, how was that "Riding the jock" reasoning work when he took Delhomme to the Super Bowl?

Lets give Fox the credit he deserves and EARNED as the Broncos HC.
    THREE head coaches have ridden Manning to a SB; how much credit does Fox deserve for being just one of them? When he had a FAR more talented defense (ranked #3 overall this year, much good it did)?

So taking a quote from a third party that wasn't even in the room, and a writer that likes to use dramatic words for effect, as your source that he "blew the Broncos away??" Seriously Joel? I mean, you have stretched a LOT of things before, but this is just kinda silly.
    *shrugs* Take it up with Legwold; I'm just repeating what he said on ESPN.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

He wasn't hired as the head coach so say he aced is ridiculous. I certainly don't kick dirt on Dennison the guy has gotten a lot criticism thrown at him without any facts to back it up.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information