Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: The search for Defensive Coordinator.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    To be fair, with Ware, Knighton and Wolfe/Jackson up front, we SHOULD be able to get consistent pressure with just our front four, especially when we add Miller in nickel packages. The Giants won a pair of SBs pressuring Brady (and lots of people) with just four, and Seattle won a SB against us doing the same to Manning while all their LBs dropped into short zones to cutoff the quick hits so they're safeties could run that deep Cover 3 they love so much. The question is where our double-digit sackmasters went the last couple months of the season; if Del Rio could answer that, he might still be in Denver.
    I agree with part of your assessment, but truth about Del Rio Joel is that he wanted to be the Head Coach of the Raiders and in no way would he still be here - like Kubiak here that was/is Del Rio's dream job.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    I agree with part of your assessment, but truth about Del Rio Joel is that he wanted to be the Head Coach of the Raiders and in no way would he still be here - like Kubiak here that was/is Del Rio's dream job.
    True, he almost certainly quits regardless, but wouldn't have been fired. That working for the Davis family and coaching their perennial bottom feeders is his dream job speaks poorly of his judgement.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

ssounds like wade is our guy. I am quite happy about this.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

4. The Following User High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    ssounds like wade is our guy. I am quite happy about this.
    It's not a bad hire, I just wished there was a little more variance from a full "getting the Texans band together" which didn't really win a whole lot in the end.

Still might work but...
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

I think the Texans band worked out alright in the end, at least 2012. Problem was in 2013, Shaub went to shit and injuries to Foster. The defense was still good but the offense was pretty bad.

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

Wade has been great everywhere he has been the DC, I'd be very cool with this hire.

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived broncofaninfla For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

I don't need Wade to be the greatest coordinator in the history of the league. I need him to be able to consistently hold down the offenses we face so that we don't have to get into a score-fest all the time to win - and that's his coaching skillset. I want our offense to be able to comfortably win with their B-Game - so that when we run into a defense like NE or SEA we can still win with a C-Level performance, if they can keep us to that.

We have plenty of talent - just want Wade to get more out of it than Del Rio and Fox did.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks View Post
    It's not a bad hire, I just wished there was a little more variance from a full "getting the Texans band together" which didn't really win a whole lot in the end.

Still might work but...

I can see your side but I dont necessarily agree with it. Our team has all the talent. It is freaking stacked to near the damn limit. Elway has done one of the best jobs ever. We went from the Tebow team to imo the most talented team in the entire league in 3 years. That is unbelievable. Our problem was coaching. We were predictable on offense, stagnant and could hardly score points the 2nd half of the season. Our guys played like they did not care and our defense seemed to be the same every week.

The Texans (to me as I didnt follow them that much) seemed to have a talent problem. While their defense was one of the best a few years ago they were just ok on offense. But they seemed ( I hope) to play hard. Sure, they may not have worked out but they didnt have the talent we did.

So to me their past history should not be an issue. They have the talent now to be a boss. Now if you are wondering about them drafting and acquiring talent for the future I could get behind that, but......we have Elway to keep that from happening.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    I don't need Wade to be the greatest coordinator in the history of the league. I need him to be able to consistently hold down the offenses we face so that we don't have to get into a score-fest all the time to win - and that's his coaching skillset. I want our offense to be able to comfortably win with their B-Game - so that when we run into a defense like NE or SEA we can still win with a C-Level performance, if they can keep us to that.

We have plenty of talent - just want Wade to get more out of it than Del Rio and Fox did.
    Well said. I personally don't NEED to have a generational defense. GIve me a top 10 defense.

I'll be honest though, I believe our defense was good enough last year to win it, and I believe it was good enough this year to win it. It was our offense (ironically) that failed in both.

But I would love Wade to be the man.
    (the previous comment was not directed at any particular individual and was not intended to slander,disrespect or offend any reader of said statement)

14. The Following 4 Users High Fived Ravage!!! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 57m

I'm looking at Wade Phillips' coaching resume. Holy crap, he has coordinated a ton of defenses. And a winning record (83-66) as head coach.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

16. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

I can see your side but I dont necessarily agree with it. Our team has all the talent. It is freaking stacked to near the damn limit. Elway has done one of the best jobs ever. We went from the Tebow team to imo the most talented team in the entire league in 3 years. That is unbelievable. Our problem was coaching. We were predictable on offense, stagnant and could hardly score points the 2nd half of the season. Our guys played like they did not care and our defense seemed to be the same every week.

The Texans (to me as I didnt follow them that much) seemed to have a talent problem. While their defense was one of the best a few years ago they were just ok on offense. But they seemed ( I hope) to play hard. Sure, they may not have worked out but they didnt have the talent we did.

So to me their past history should not be an issue. They have the talent now to be a boss. Now if you are wondering about them drafting and acquiring talent for the future I could get behind that, but......we have Elway to keep that from happening.
    I still contend Houstons problem was Schaub, compounded by Foster and Daniels going to IR that one awful year that got Kubes fired: They didn't have an "offense" after that, it was back to just Andre Johnson trying to score 30 pts by himself, only he had an imploding Matt Schaub passing the ball instead of an imploding David Carr. But however much age may or may not have caught up with him, Peyton Manning is NOT Matt Schaub. I said in 2011 Houston was the ideal place for him because he was all they were missing from a championship roster; we all took a weird road to get there, but here we are.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

18. The Following User High Fived Joel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    Legwold has an article on ESPN that says we're still holding out hope for Joseph, and that if the Bengals can find someone to replace him (he mentions Perry Fewell), then they might let him go.
    Ex-Giants DC jumps to Redskins
    The Washington Redskins added another piece to their defensive staff, hiring former New York Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell as their secondary coach, the team announced Tuesday.
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12...econdary-coach

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I still contend Houstons problem was Schaub, compounded by Foster and Daniels going to IR that one awful year that got Kubes fired: They didn't have an "offense" after that, it was back to just Andre Johnson trying to score 30 pts by himself, only he had an imploding Matt Schaub passing the ball instead of an imploding David Carr. But however much age may or may not have caught up with him, Peyton Manning is NOT Matt Schaub. I said in 2011 Houston was the ideal place for him because he was all they were missing from a championship roster; we all took a weird road to get there, but here we are.
    Don't know about manning but yes. Unless a team has an elite defense, it's near impossible to win it all without an elite qb.

Houston had a very good defense but not elite. Schaub also is not close to elite.
    The Plan at the moment:

Players I want:

Don't know about manning but yes. Unless a team has an elite defense, it's near impossible to win it all without an elite qb.

Houston had a very good defense but not elite. Schaub also is not close to elite.
    They were pretty close to elite; the only weakness (and it was a big one) was a habit of winning the first two downs only to give up a huge pass on 3rd and long, which I slightly worry would be a problem for us under Wade or Joseph, not least because we did that a lot last year without them. But with their offensive line, Foster, Johnson, Daniels and Walter, it would've been enough with even an average QB.

Schaub's not that: He's a game manager, and only that if everything's going right; in a close game where everyone else is struggling, he can't put the team on his back and win, and I know that because of how many times I watched him try and fail in Houston even before his disastrous 2013 campaign. Again I cite the 2011 Raiders game where they drove down inside the 10, trailing by 5 at the end of regulation, and Schaub rolled out, saw everyone covered but a clear path to the end zone, took a step, stopped and re-checked receivers, took another, saw the safety notice and move up, then threw a pick as time expired.

No WAY Manning does that; if nothing else, if he sees everyone covered with just 4-5 seconds left on 2nd and G at the 5, he'll throw it away and find another play.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Denver Native (Carol) View Post
    Of course Fewell took the Redskins job, it's not a great job but would you take that job or go to work for a team that holds you hostage?

The Bengals should talk with LeBeau, his wife lives in the Cincinati area and he wants to stay close.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information