Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Broncos Interested in Baylor QB Bryce Petty

Default Broncos Interested in Baylor QB Bryce Petty

Per Cecil Lammey
    https://twitter.com/cecillammey/stat...36453849907201

How easily would a quarterback from a spread offense transition to Kubiak's under center play-action heavy offense? And more importantly, what does Denver's targeting of a top QB in the draft say about their confidence in Brock Osweiler?

Quote Originally Posted by WJK View Post
    Per Cecil Lammey

How easily would a quarterback from a spread offense transition to Kubiak's under center play-action heavy offense? And more importantly, what does Denver's targeting of a top QB in the draft say about their confidence in Brock Osweiler?
    *shrugs* Saying, "There is no Plan B," isn't crazy with a proven first ballot HoFer; saying the same with a three-year bench warmer is. Luck's occasionally "the residue of design" and lets a team with good scouts and GMs immediately plug in a young first ballot HoFer to succeed a retiring one (e.g. Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers) but the norm is for even a team with the best GMs and scouts to need multiple attempts. Even with a #1 overall pick like Indy had in 2012, there's still no guarantee they don't get a Ryan Leaf, but we'll pick in the bottom eight next year.

So even if we draft the guy (and a tweet's not a draft pick) that's not a vote of no confidence in Oz, it's keeping more than one iron in the fire. Welcome, btw; where are you from in Waco?
    Last edited by Joel; 01-20-2015 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Terminal prepositions make Baby Fowler cry
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

too bad they can't get up high enough for Mariota... that would be amazing

Thanks MasterShake!!!

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived MileHighCrew For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

When Elway became the V.P. of Player Operations he said he would be looking at quarterbacks in every draft. To date he's done just that.

6. The Following 9 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighCrew View Post
    Just a hunch, but unless Oz (or someone on the roster) catches fire immediately after Manning retires, I suspect we'll trade up to get a top ten pick we otherwise wouldn't, but hope we'll wait till there's a promising QB class rather than just desperately rushing to get the "Best QB Available" even if they're all pretty average.

For what it's worth though, there's not a lot of recent statistical difference between the careers of QBs taken with the first five or LAST five 1st round picks, and plenty of 2nd rounders have done just fine. If a team has a true need where a draft is deep, even a SB Champ can get a good one with good scouting. Every draft's such a crap shoot though it never hurts having a Plan B or even C.
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Adopted Bronco:
    The cheerleaders

There is stupid media rumor that Mariota might drop to mid to late teens. One of the NFL analyst have him going to KC at 19. If he does drop Elway should consider a move up to get him.
    "We saw it…. the hussars let loose their horses. God, what power! They ran through the smoke and the sound was like that of a thousand blacksmiths beating with a thousand hammers

They rush on to the Swedes! They crash into the Swedish riters…. Overwhelm them! They crash into the second regiment - Overwhelmed! Resistance collapses, dissolves, they move forward as easily as if they were parading on a grand boulevard

9. The Following User High Fived elsid13 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    There is stupid media rumor that Mariota might drop to mid to late teens. One of the NFL analyst have him going to KC at 19. If he does drop Elway should consider a move up to get him.
    While there is first time for everything Elway has shown he's very patient when comes to the draft. For him to even consider such leap up the draft board he would have to be absolutely convinced that Mariota is the real deal.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Bradley Roby

Quote Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
    I call BS on that rumor. It would be hilarious though hearing mike Mayock's comments on that. A drop like that though would be like the movie Draft Day.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mark 'Dirty' Sanchez

Another Heisman Winner who will likely bust at the NFL level, the last Heisman winner I thought had a legit shot was Bradford and look at what has happened with him. The Heisman is a curse, had Mariota not won the damn thing I would be for it. If I was a College Quarterback or Running Back I would not even want to be in contention for the damn award.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Lancane For This Post:

Id rather continue to build the team then reach and lose picks on a high round QB....

San fran has a solid team all around. The seabirds have a solid team all around. Both of their QBs are good enough to lead a stacked team to the big show. I would hope we would do something like that with Brock. If Brock shows that he is not good enough with a stacked team, then and only then would I be in favor of trading an entire drafts worth of picks for a top flight Qb....I do not trust all of these running qbs that come out. I cant think of any aside from wilson that have really worked. Although I do think Bridgewater may just be legit. Ej manuel, johnny football, kaep, and on and on- all seem to suck. I havent put in the research on winston or mariota yet but I have a feeling they will follow suit.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Bryce Petty is an above average QB prospect but it is so hard to project spread offense QBs into a pro offense.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    Another Heisman Winner who will likely bust at the NFL level, the last Heisman winner I thought had a legit shot was Bradford and look at what has happened with him. The Heisman is a curse, had Mariota not won the damn thing I would be for it. If I was a College Quarterback or Running Back I would not even want to be in contention for the damn award.
    To be fair many elite NFL players won Heismans; Hornung, Staubach, Earl Campbell, the original TD, OJ and Barry Sanders just to name the ones who come to my mind. The problem, IMHO, is that despite all the pomp and circumstance about the BCS, then a "championship" game and now a so-called "playoff," the SECAA is more a popularity contest than ever. As long as its greatness metric is WHERE one plays rather than how WELL, the Heisman must have diminishing value in an NFL that has draft rather than recruiting classes and decides its champions on the field rather than in the voting booth.

All that to say: I personally think all it means now is that a guy played for the SEC, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Michigan or Ohio State, but it's not a kiss of death either.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post
    Nothing do with the Heisman at all. I just think he will be a bust, period. I really do.
    BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by WJK View Post
    Per Cecil Lammey

Bryce is projected as a third round player so i dont think it really says much other than if Manning doesnt return Brock will have some competition which would be normal anyway.

Adopted Bronco:

Manning will be back, so anyone they draft if merely developmental and potential competition for Brock

22. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information