Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Searching for a HC

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

My problem with amazing DCs as head coaches is that they usually don't run the defense still. So you're looking for TWO badass coordinators. If you have a head coach who wants to call the offensive plays, you only need one great coordinator.

Sometimes you get the HC who can motivate and coordinators who can coach (Pete in Seattle comes to mind) but when I think of the truly great DCs who got head coaching jobs, I can't think of many who succeeded.

TL : DR version: Quinn makes me nervous, even though I think the world of him as a coordinator.

Our guy will have a leg up because there is a TON of talent here compared to a normal opening. But because our vital weakness is at QB if Manning retires, I'm not thrilled about half-assing the offensive side of the ball.

So I hope we either get a master motivator who can hire a genius for each side of the ball, or I'd like an offensive guru to take the reins and get us our next great QB.

Fascinated to hear what Elway's list might be. He pulled the trigger on a Richter 8 rebuild, so let's see the plan.

NO BELICHICK DISCIPLES!
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Also, if it's Gase, this may be me:

Let's not go there, K? TIA.
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

4. The Following 6 Users High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by G_Money View Post
    Also, if it's Gase, this may be me:

Let's not go there, K? TIA.
    Mike Klis reported Gase is likely not a candidate.

My problem with amazing DCs as head coaches is that they usually don't run the defense still. So you're looking for TWO badass coordinators. If you have a head coach who wants to call the offensive plays, you only need one great coordinator.

Sometimes you get the HC who can motivate and coordinators who can coach (Pete in Seattle comes to mind) but when I think of the truly great DCs who got head coaching jobs, I can't think of many who succeeded.

TL : DR version: Quinn makes me nervous, even though I think the world of him as a coordinator.

Our guy will have a leg up because there is a TON of talent here compared to a normal opening. But because our vital weakness is at QB if Manning retires, I'm not thrilled about half-assing the offensive side of the ball.

So I hope we either get a master motivator who can hire a genius for each side of the ball, or I'd like an offensive guru to take the reins and get us our next great QB.

Fascinated to hear what Elway's list might be. He pulled the trigger on a Richter 8 rebuild, so let's see the plan.

NO BELICHICK DISCIPLES!
    Bill Belicheck. Buddy Ryan. Pete Carroll. Not sure what your definition of success is but it's undeniable that Belicheat has been successful.

Paige saying Gase is a candidate for our HC position.

Klis says he's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

Tony Dungy and Manning take one more crack at it

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Mike Klis reported Gase is likely not a candidate.
    Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by TimHippo View Post
    Yes!
    PFT and Paige reporting the opposite.

Seems 49ers close the deal though.
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Quote Originally Posted by TimHippo View Post
    Bill Belicheck. Buddy Ryan. Pete Carroll. Not sure what your definition of success is but it's undeniable that Belicheat has been successful.
    Buddy Ryan was not my idea of a successful head Coach. Carroll doesn't call that D but figured out in college how to BE a great head coach. He failed several previous times before he hired guys better than he is to run the defense.

Belichick is a guy who has his imprint in everything, a defensive juggernaut of a coach. Bill Parcells was a defensive coach as well, but it wasn't his brilliant DC career that made it work for him, cuz he didn't have a long one before getting the head job. He was a motivator/needler too (and incidentally was able to pass that off to Belechick too).

I'm a defensive guy. It's the side of the ball I like best. But if we get the best DC in the league to take over the team, then I hope he either calls the defense personally and is involved in every aspect of that, or has a protege who is Him 2.0. Getting a student who is as good as the master is hard, that's all.

~G
    -- James Dean

12. The Following User High Fived G_Money For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MileHighCrew View Post
    Tony Dungy and Manning take one more crack at it
    NO! Just no. I don't want that soft alien looking dude near my team!

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived GEM For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

NO! Just no. I don't want that soft alien looking dude near my team!
    bahahahahaha....... not that I think it will, but if they hire Dungy, that goes in my sig block for his entire tenure in Denver!!!!!

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Buddy Ryan was not my idea of a successful head Coach. Carroll doesn't call that D but figured out in college how to BE a great head coach. He failed several previous times before he hired guys better than he is to run the defense.

Belichick is a guy who has his imprint in everything, a defensive juggernaut of a coach. Bill Parcells was a defensive coach as well, but it wasn't his brilliant DC career that made it work for him, cuz he didn't have a long one before getting the head job. He was a motivator/needler too (and incidentally was able to pass that off to Belechick too).

I'm a defensive guy. It's the side of the ball I like best. But if we get the best DC in the league to take over the team, then I hope he either calls the defense personally and is involved in every aspect of that, or has a protege who is Him 2.0. Getting a student who is as good as the master is hard, that's all.

~G
    Well when Buddy was head coach at the Eagles, his defenses were #1 in the league. His protege Jeff Fisher who was a player with Buddy on the Bears was the rookie D.C. So it has been done.

17. The Following User High Fived TimHippo For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

Fisher's another guy... but he still tends to have problems with the offense. Great motivator, good task master, builds talent on his teams, coaches up the talent he has... but can't get the offense squared away except for a couple years with McNair.

I'm not against Quinn, don't get me wrong. I love that dude. But I wish we had a QB in place if we were going defense. Pete would be less of a genius if he hadn't tripped over Russell Wilson. Here's hoping we trip over somebody. I expect us to get Quinn in for an interview... but it's gonna be a few more weeks. A lot of other coaches are likely to wander off while we wait.

As long as two of those coaches are Del Rio and Gase, I'm okay with it. If we want Quinn I'll be shocked if he gets out of here without a press conference announcing his hiring.
    -- James Dean

Adopted Bronco:
    VON

Broncos will consider Adam Gase for head-coaching job
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-coaching-job/

Thanks MasterShake!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

-- James Dean

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information