Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buckethead

Default Buckethead

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Graffiti_Buckethead.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	6364

Now here is a musician that has done something special over the past few years. Some folks might recall Buckethead being the quirky guitar virtuoso that has played in bands such as Praxis, the Deli Creeps, numerous projects with Les Claypool, Viggo Mortenson, Bootsie Collins, and of course, his stint replacing Slash in Guns N' Roses. Though his real name, Brian Carroll, has been known for a while, he still chooses to wear a KFC bucket over his head with mask to hide his identity. He projects an outrageous musical stage persona regardless of the stigma it brings. Of course, it can be argued that the mystery and bravado of his attire has helped build a fandom beyond any stigma; though, clearly the majority of his fan base is built upon and reinforced by the tremendous discography of music he has amassed over his career. He is exceedingly brilliant on guitar and bass, perhaps any stringed instrument for that matter, but he is also very proficient at piano, keys and percussion. Clearly, he is best known for the guitar work. He is a technical freak, being super fast and skillful in tone as a player, even if overwhelming sometimes to a fault. On the other hand, he is also a very emotional player and much of his work reveals just that. He plays all styles of guitar including Spanish flamenco, old-school blues, progressive rock, to blistering speed metal. Yet, there is a lot of soul to his playing that I would say is definitely his own style, even if recognizable influences of many famous guitarists all seem to have been absorbed by him.

Over the past three years, Bucket has not toured much if at all. He suffered an illness in 2010/11 and did a few short tours in 2012. Then he seemingly holed himself up inside his studio in 2013. Since then, Bucket has released over 90 albums! 60 in 2014 alone, which is just MIND-BOGGLING! They are called Pikes and are released like comics from a kiosk inside his mythological theme park called, Bucketheadland. Sometimes the music contained throughout is more akin to the strange oddities and noises one might expect to hear if visiting such a strange land that is perhaps the polar opposite of Disneyland. A tremendous amount of beautiful music is contained in this lengthy project though. Be absorbed, take the edge off and relax, rock out, or perhaps just geek out on his musicianship. Many of these Pikes continuously evolve over a multitude of different styles and tastes that cover virtually everything in the confines of band music.

Over 101 Pikes exist now at the time of this post. You have a lot of listening to do if you are going to start at Pike #1 It's Alive. But if you are new to Buckethead and would like some recommendations to sink your teeth into first, I say give these a try...

Pike #5 - Look Up There - The title track is amazing.
    Pike #51 - Claymation Courtyard - "Disintegration Mirrors" is mind-blowing.
    Pike #71 - Celery - Perhaps my favorite Pike.
    Pike #72 - Closed Attractions - One of the many that are super mellow.
    Pike #78 - A tribute to David Gilmour.

Yes, there is a lot to explore in these Pikes, not to mention his many previous musical endeavors. Perhaps you can take the adventure upon yourself to listen through them all at some point. Oh, I almost forgot to mention, while you're listening to these Pikes, keep in mind that Buckethead plays and tracks each individual instrument with the help of his small studio staff of Bucketbots (à la Willy Wonka's Oompa-loompas). He does have guest musicians, but most of this stuff is all him. That in itself is just mind-blowing to me. Perhaps when you listen, you'll understand.

Bucketheadland Kiosk Store

Enjoy!
    A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. --Tyrion Lannister, from George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones
    Everybody has a preference. Some guys like them round. Some guys like them thin. Some guys like them tacky. Some guys like them brand new. Some guys like old balls. --Tom Brady

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived pulse For This Post:

Here's a little preview for the cheap asses (like me) who want to hear something before you go throwing your hard-earned money at an independent artist.

Below is the entire Pikes 51 - Claymation Courtyard on YouTube. It is one of the more straightforward rocking ones. The leitmotif or style of this particular Pikes is called "melting off your face."

If you like it, please buy it. Support him. The guy's not exactly headlining Taylor Swift. At least not yet...

Last edited by pulse; 01-08-2015 at 08:56 PM.
    A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge. --Tyrion Lannister, from George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones
    Everybody has a preference. Some guys like them round. Some guys like them thin. Some guys like them tacky. Some guys like them brand new. Some guys like old balls. --Tom Brady

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

so when i opened this link, i got sent to a page with malware :O

He was excellent on Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains. The guitar solo on the track Elephant Ghost blew me away the first time I heard it.

My step-brother turned me on to an album of his named Colma. The first track, Whitewash is fantastic.

He is extremely talented. I'll check this out when I'm not on the phone. Thanks!

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    so when i opened this link, i got sent to a page with malware :O
    What? Which link? The Bucketheadpikes web store is hosted by Bandcamp and the video is on YouTube. *scratching head*

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    What? Which link? The Bucketheadpikes web store is hosted by Bandcamp and the video is on YouTube. *scratching head*
    i meant this thread. it opened another tab. Good thing i have malwarebytes.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    i meant this thread. it opened another tab. Good thing i have malwarebytes.
    Oh, that's probably some lame advertising script being piped through one of the ad banners.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived pulse For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    He was excellent on Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains. The guitar solo on the track Elephant Ghost blew me away the first time I heard it.

My step-brother turned me on to an album of his named Colma. The first track, Whitewash is fantastic.

He is extremely talented. I'll check this out when I'm not on the phone. Thanks!
    I actually got to see the Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains project in concert way back in 2004. That was an overwhelming amount of musical talent on stage. Bernie Worrell is a legend all by himself.

12. The Following User High Fived pulse For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pulse View Post
    I actually got to see the Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains project in concert way back in 2004. That was an overwhelming amount of musical talent on stage. Bernie Worrell is a legend all by himself.
    Nice! Yeah, that was an all star line-up. I love that album and am extremely jealous that you got to see that live.

Eccentric character; amazing technical guitarist. There's some low-fi live vids of his I really like on YT. Innovative.

If I get some free time I'll post them. Or not.

He installs a cut (mute) button in his axes I've always thought was so cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by GEM View Post
    I haven't seen anywhere in the news any 5 years olds chopping off their balls.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Havent ever really just sat down and listened to KFC's work. Probably long overdue so i shall check those out when i get some time this weekend. However, if you like great geetar work Pulse check out some work by these guys, you might dig them.

Animals as Leaders - http://animalsasleaders.bandcamp.com...als-as-leaders
    Daniele Liverani- http://www.last.fm/music/Daniele+Liverani
    Paul Ozz Music - http://paulozzmusic.bandcamp.com/
    Marty Friedman - http://martyfriedman.bandcamp.com/album/loudspeaker
    Tyler Corbett - http://tylercorbett.bandcamp.com/
    Brian Larkin - http://brianlarkin.bandcamp.com/
    Christian Muenzner - http://christianmuenzner.bandcamp.com/
    Stephan Forte - https://myspace.com/stephanforte/music/songs
    Jeff Loomis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhgO7k19HxE

16. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Just ridiculous... Pikes #102!

The madness won't stop. Downright nasty SRV mortal slaying music:

http://music.bucketheadpikes.com/album/sideway-streets

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

he's a badass. . .

you guys familiar with praxis?

19. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    he's a badass. . .

you guys familiar with praxis?
    Yup. The first time I saw Bucket was in Praxis at a festival. Here's a clip of Interworld and The New Innocence , which they destroy live.

Last edited by pulse; 02-06-2015 at 11:09 AM. Reason: url

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information