Thread: Knicks to deal Smith and Shumpert

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Knicks to deal Smith and Shumpert

A three-way trade between the Cleveland Cavaliers, New York Knicks and Oklahoma City Thunder is imminent, sources told ESPN.com.

As part of the discussions, Dion Waiters would go to the Thunder, J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert would go to the Cavs and several players with nonguaranteed contracts would go to the Knicks including Lance Thomas from the Thunder, sources said.

The Cavs pulled Lou Amundson and Alex Kirk, both of whom have nonguaranteed deals, out of their game with the Philadelphia 76ers on Monday night. Smith was pulled from the Knicks game in Memphis as well.

Both the Cavs and Thunder have trade exceptions that can be used to facilitate the trades.
    rest - http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...a-city-thunder

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Waiters would be a good fit in OK, but I'm not sure why Cleveland would want JR Smith and Shumpert

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Presti with another brilliant move for the Thunder.

5. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Yep, gives them a 3rd scoring option.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

At some point, LeBron is going to take over, and if he can get through to J.R. Smith, this could be a deadly combination. He's the bullheaded scorer that Irving and Love are not.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    At some point, LeBron is going to take over, and if he can get through to J.R. Smith, this could be a deadly combination. He's the bullheaded scorer that Irving and Love are not.
    Team officials spoke with LeBron James about his willingness to play alongside Smith before executing the deal, sources said.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12...a-city-thunder

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I can't tell if the Times has its tongue fully in cheek or not, but either way this is hilarious:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/07/sp...rter.html?_r=1

Wanted: Good Basketball for Beleaguered Reporter
    By THE NEW YORK TIMES JAN. 6, 2015

The Knicks, in an effort to rebuild through the N.B.A. draft and free agency, appear to have officially given up on this season. They’re an unthinkable 5-32, and on Monday night they traded away J.R. Smith and Iman Shumpert, leaving a roster that might struggle against an N.B.A. Development League team.

So we feel it’s only merciful to give our Knicks beat writer, Scott Cacciola, a break from such woeful basketball. He deserves to see the game played at a higher level. For the next month or so, we would like to point him to some good, quality basketball, wherever it might exist. Any suggestions?

Maybe there’s another N.B.A. team that warrants his attention, or perhaps a high school or a college squad. For that matter, maybe you know of a strong coed team at your local Y that Scott should write about. Tell us where to send him. Submit your ideas in the comments section.
    Last edited by MOtorboat; 01-06-2015 at 01:01 PM.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

11. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

James Harden James Harden James Harden.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

James Harden James Harden James Harden.
    Elvis Dumervil Elvis Dumervil Elvis Dumervil

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Elvis Dumervil Elvis Dumervil Elvis Dumervil
    I don't see how that relates?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I don't see how that relates?
    All-pro player now playing for a different team. Has as much relevance to the Broncos chances at winning the Super Bowl as Harden does to the Thunder's chances at a championship. You can't sign every all-pro.

Granted the Broncos didn't actually trade Dumervil, so it's not an exact comparison.

The Thunder had to say goodbye to Harden, and the pieces they got in return are very nice pieces of the team. (at least the Thunder got something in return for their all-pro)

Steven Adams is a starter now, and playing quite well in a position of need for the Thunder. Averaging almost 11 rebounds per 36 minutes, to go with 1.7 blocks, and 7.8 points.

Jeremy Lamb is coming along as well.

Unmentioned is Alex Abrines stashed in Europe. Who knows what he becomes.

The fact of the matter is that you can't give three max contracts to three perimeter players and expect to have anything left over for a Championship caliber team. It's an absurd suggestion. And keep in mind, that if the Thunder did do that, that no way does Harden's numbers even begin to compare with what he's been able to do in Houston as the top gun. There's only one ball, and one hoop, and only one guy can handle it at a time.

The Thunder's biggest weakness was an absence of inside, low post scoring, and relied on too much long-distance jump shooting. Signing Harden to a max contract and having to unload Ibaka and Perkins, with no money to sign another inside presence doesn't fix that problem. The Thunder didn't want to send Harden away. They didn't have any other choice.
    Last edited by NightTrainLayne; 01-06-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

When Durant leaves in free agency there won't be any way to positively spin the trade that slammed your title window shut prematurely.

Bottom line: It’s very possible the Thunder dealt Harden in fear of a luxury tax they might have paid in just one season had they kept him at the max. They would still have spent at least $30 million or so extra in payroll over this full four-year span, including one tax season, but that’s chump change considering the insane valuation of NBA franchises. The Bucks just sold for $550 million, and Hank Scorpio can’t even get into the Clippers’ bidding process.

It is insane to think the Thunder chickened out on paying one of the league’s 15 best players over one measly tax season, especially when they came within $4.5 million of offering him a max contract.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/ib...-james-harden/

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information